• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rai 0 Glossy versus Non-Glossy...

99 posts in this topic

from my small cross section can you guys say if I have one or not?image_zpsocske5nj.jpg

Only asking because I bought at a show raw listed at NM/M... It was the only copy around and I wanted to get it signed so the seller charged a premium... I just want to know that it was worth while..

going off of my memories as a teen... it must of been like ASM 298 299 stock right? a flat white almost transparent...

No, think of the glossy DC covers that are out today.

Ah.... Ok at least I know thanks!

I don't think this is entirely accurate as the glossy DC covers are printed on slightly thicker card stock and very glossy.

The Rai #0 glossy cover was printed on what seems like regular stock except there's a glossy coating over the top. There's a sheen but not quite as smooth or slick as DCs of today.

Of course, this is what I gathered from the raw copy I own.

Anyone else care to chime in?

I don't think this is entirely accurate as the glossy DC covers are printed on slightly thicker card stock and very glossy.

The Rai #0 glossy cover was printed on what seems like regular stock except there's a glossy coating over the top. There's a sheen but not quite as smooth or slick as DCs of today.

Of course, this is what I gathered from the raw copy I own.

Anyone else care to chime in?

DC Glossy covers are the same thing. Glossy cover...like GLASS not paper with a little printed shine on them. They're significantly glossy.

Ok, I took this photo at night when the lighting wasn't so good.

But I placed it against a current DC book with a glossy cover and tried to angle them to catch the light equally.

The gloss on the Rai book looks similar to the DC book but is less even. My copy has Very slight imperfections (like poorly applied varnish?!). It has a short right edge on the FC and BC.

I think you will know when you get a glossy covers it just looks...off.

99C70EF8-F9DE-4A94-B2A9-867A0A95C745.jpg

I had a few glossy and regular and sold all glossy because none of them were centered very well and it isn't that easy to tell them apart once slabbed. I just don't see a distinguishing difference to pay a premium for one or the other especially if they aren't cut properly and I have seen about 20 glossy in hand.

Are we just hoping that CGC is getting the Glossy vs. Matte thing right?

They almost never get the Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat vs. Gold Embossed correct... and one of them is embossed. lol

Very true statement.

I just would have preferred they left this alone. Why do this now? Will they start doing this on walking dead one?

Black mature label version

Or

White mature label version

Of course those are easily identifiable.

Well I'm a big VALIANT collector and I don't feel the need to go out and own a Rai 0 Glossy. I don't feel there is a significant enough difference, but maybe that's just me.

If I find a non glossy copy in the dollar bin I immediately drop it in disgust and pour a bottle of sanitizer on my hands. :insane:

Well I'm a big VALIANT collector and I don't feel the need to go out and own a Rai 0 Glossy. I don't feel there is a significant enough difference, but maybe that's just me.

If I find a non glossy copy in the dollar bin I immediately drop it in disgust and pour a bottle of sanitizer on my hands. :insane:

Just slide it back in place quietly... and walk away...

+ 1

I have had both and decided to keep my best non glossy as it was the best copy out of all the Rai 0 I had. Basically if you had a rare piece of antique furniture that they made 100 of and they applied varnish to a few of them, would that make those more valuable? I sure wouldn't think so.

Just slide it back in place quietly... and walk away...

(thumbs u

Why not just collect both? They are in plentiful supply.

The glossy one has a premium owing to this thread from a Valiant forum:

In a recent correspondance with Kevin Van Hook, this is what he wrote about the origins of the Rai #0 Glossy variant:

"As for Rai #0 Glossy--I BELIEVE (if memory serves) that those were a relatively short run with different paper that Fred Pierce was experimenting with to avoid the scuffing (black smudging) that often accompanies a white cover. It wasn't really a different release. Just part of the same run on different stock.

Around that time, Valiant bought its own paper stock and put it on the Printers' Floors to use. It was a cost-cutting measure because of the bulk we began to print.

Best,

KV"