• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

I loved the line about whether the stories of an original Antman were true, or were just "propoganda...tales to astonish".

Yeah I loved that line.

me as well

Cutesy little nods to the source always make me cringe. I would rather they actually use more of the source (shrug)

Can we put all future big pics in spoilers? Thanks.

At this point if you don't want a spoiler you'd probably best stop reading movie threads because ALL they are is future information.

Word of mouth isn't going to give Ant-Man legs.

The fact that it was # 1 its second week was a fluke due to Pixels bombing. Going into the weekend, Ant-Man was expected to be third, behind Pixels & Minions.

Yes -- it's doing very well relative to its budget -- about as well as The Wolverine (with a similar budget).

But it will drop off very quickly in the coming weeks, as MI 5 takes a lot of its screens this week, and FF siphons more of its demographic audience next week.

The major difference between Ant-Man and Guardians, let alone Avengers, is it's not the type of film folks are going to see more than once, whereas the better Marvel films (even Winter Soldier) were.

I disagree, I think people will see this more than once. It's that fun of a movie. I'm taking a friend of mine to see it this weekend, it'll gladly be my 2nd time.

Unlike the FF, which looks like a huge over serious downer, that is praying fervorishly that it can "siphon more of its demographic audience", Ant-Man will bring in repeat viewings.

Fox may hide behind the review embargo that first week, but by the 2nd, word of mouth will kill that movie and the fun alternative will be Ant-Man.

I agree that people will see this movie more than once,i'm one of those persons.In fact what the heck is out there that is worth going to see more than once.It's a fun movie and can be seen by all ages,even my wife liked it and she is hard to please.This movie will do fine by word of mouth and place Antman firmly in the Marvel Universe!

Antman is most likely going to reach it's budget domestically by this Sunday.

Antman = success

I don't know how far it will go after that, but it seems to have legs. Plus the Foreign market.

I find it amazing that Marvel was able to take one of their least known properties and achieve this.

This achievement is a Tale to Astonish

Edited by gadzukes

Antman = success

I don't know how far it will go after that, but it seems to have legs. Plus the Foreign market.

I find it amazing that Marvel was able to take one of their least known properties and achieve this.

It's too early to tell if this movie has legs or not. A movie that has legs is measurable; it is a movie capable of making more than 3x it's opening weekend during its run. Right now, Ant-Man is passing 2x its opening weekend. If it can make another $50+ million, we can say it had legs. GOTG clearly had legs. It has yet to be seen if Ant-Man does.

It's biggest obstacle right now are the movies yet to be released: Mission Impossible, Fantastic Four, and Man from Uncle. It's going to have to compete with some heavy hitters the next 3 weeks. Pixels proved to be a bust, so it had 2 weeks without any competition.

Ok. Here is my review of Ant-Man!!

Cool review. Agree with you 100% about the villain. I don't agree about how funny this movie was. In fact, it was one of the least funny MCU movies I've seen. Maybe I was in a theater with an audience that didn't find it funny, hence my perception. (shrug)

Ok. Here is my review of Ant-Man!!

Cool review. Agree with you 100% about the villain. I don't agree about how funny this movie was. In fact, it was one of the least funny MCU movies I've seen. Maybe I was in a theater with an audience that didn't find it funny, hence my perception. (shrug)

Thank you for watching it! I was with a bunch of friends that really liked the humor. So my perception is different too!

Antman = success

:headbang:

Antman = success

For the Ant-Man movie to hit at least the success stage (2.5X budget), it needs to achieve $325,000,000. That is about a $90,791,684 gap, which once it hits all its release dates I can see it most probably achieving.

Kuwait (29 July 2015)

United Arab Emirates (30 July 2015)

Iraq (30 July 2015)

Lebanon (30 July 2015)

Thailand (30 July 2015)

Latvia (31 July 2015)

South Africa (31 July 2015)

Mongolia (7 August 2015)

Italy (12 August 2015)

South Korea (20 August 2015)

Austria (27 August 2015)

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015)

Japan (19 September 2015)

But the bigger countries are not until September. So it will have to rely on the current markets it is released in to grow its box office numbers.

gjJmQFM.png

xRAK2uG.png

H5sUVON.png

Antman = success

For the Ant-Man movie to hit at least the success stage (2.5X budget), it needs to achieve $325,000,000. That is about a $90,791,684 gap, which once it hits all its release dates I can see it most probably achieving.

Kuwait (29 July 2015)

United Arab Emirates (30 July 2015)

Iraq (30 July 2015)

Lebanon (30 July 2015)

Thailand (30 July 2015)

Latvia (31 July 2015)

South Africa (31 July 2015)

Mongolia (7 August 2015)

Italy (12 August 2015)

South Korea (20 August 2015)

Austria (27 August 2015)

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015)

Japan (19 September 2015)

But the bigger countries are not until September. So it will have to rely on the current markets it is released in to grow its box office numbers.

gjJmQFM.png

xRAK2uG.png

H5sUVON.png

There are a couple of good market's there which are holding back it's worldwide numbers... if you look at what Thor Dark World did in some of those markets, it's possible to get an idea of how much of that $90MIL will get made up when it opens in those markets...

China $55MIL

South Korea $21MIL

Italy $11MIL

Japan $6MIL

It could conceivably make up that gap JUST from those 4 markets.....

There are a couple of good market's there which are holding back it's worldwide numbers... if you look at what Thor Dark World did in some of those markets, it's possible to get an idea of how much of that $90MIL will get made up when it opens in those markets...

China $55MIL

South Korea $21MIL

Italy $11MIL

Japan $6MIL

That was why I stated the following.

Antman = success

It's too early to tell if this movie has legs or not. A movie that has legs is measurable; it is a movie capable of making more than 3x it's opening weekend during its run. Right now, Ant-Man is passing 2x its opening weekend. If it can make another $50+ million, we can say it had legs. GOTG clearly had legs. It has yet to be seen if Ant-Man does.

It's biggest obstacle right now are the movies yet to be released: Mission Impossible, Fantastic Four, and Man from Uncle. It's going to have to compete with some heavy hitters the next 3 weeks. Pixels proved to be a bust, so it had 2 weeks without any competition.

Ant-Man will be over the 130 million dollar budget domestically this weekend bringing in my guess around 12 million for the weekend. The following weekend around 6 million in which that will be the films last major weekend inside the big theaters. My guess domestically this film will do somewhere between 150 to 160 million domestically on its current trend.

Films on average spend about 4 weeks in first run theaters before being kicked to the cheapie theaters.

The thing people should be looking at though when it is all said and done Ant-Man is going to bring in the least amount of money domestically since the Incredible Hulk in 2008. Something that should be paid close attention to because this film is going to be the start of a trend that we saw comic book films bringing in less and less money as we are in lets throw everything at us in theaters and tv that they can. I think the average public is starting to grow tired of these films.

Bosco is correct though the film needs to do around 2.5 to 3 times the amount of the budget to be considered a successful film.

Is the film a success right now story wise the film was fun and felt like a cross between Mission Impossible and Honey I Shrunk the Kids. The comedy was there for me which was the subtle British humor in the film. I gave the film a solid 8 out of 10 which is more than I have been giving most of Marvel films lately. Where the film loses me is lack of exciting villain and rewatchability factor the film is essentially a popcorn flick see it once its a good see it a second time loses its luster.

I will say this I left the theater in all honesty telling myself two things I wish Disney just remade Honey I Shrunk the Kids instead and I can't wait for the new Mission Impossible.

China $55MIL

South Korea $21MIL

Italy $11MIL

Japan $6MIL

That was why I stated the following.

it will do $350MM in the markets it's currently open in: $160MM domestic, $190MM int'l. $450MM is practically guaranteed once the 4 markets above are included.

The one thing I would have done differently with the screenplay...if someone had asked me. I would have had Evangeline Lily's character captured and shrunk and Yellow Jacket making off with her and the goods (or so he thought, in the sequel it would be revealed he left with a fake formula). Dark ending for a Marvel movie where the villain gets away...

Antman = success

Ant-Man will be over the 130 million dollar budget domestically this weekend bringing in my guess around 12 million for the weekend. The following weekend around 6 million in which that will be the films last major weekend inside the big theaters. My guess domestically this film will do somewhere between 150 to 160 million domestically on its current trend.

Films on average spend about 4 weeks in first run theaters before being kicked to the cheapie theaters.

The thing people should be looking at though when it is all said and done Ant-Man is going to bring in the least amount of money domestically since the Incredible Hulk in 2008. Something that should be paid close attention to because this film is going to be the start of a trend that we saw comic book films bringing in less and less money as we are in lets throw everything at us in theaters and tv that they can. I think the average public is starting to grow tired of these films.

Bosco is correct though the film needs to do around 2.5 to 3 times the amount of the budget to be considered a successful film.

Is the film a success right now story wise the film was fun and felt like a cross between Mission Impossible and Honey I Shrunk the Kids. The comedy was there for me which was the subtle British humor in the film. I gave the film a solid 8 out of 10 which is more than I have been giving most of Marvel films lately. Where the film loses me is lack of exciting villain and rewatchability factor the film is essentially a popcorn flick see it once its a good see it a second time loses its luster.

I will say this I left the theater in all honesty telling myself two things I wish Disney just remade Honey I Shrunk the Kids instead and I can't wait for the new Mission Impossible.

You're comparing ant man to the Incredible Hulk. A very well known character to a character even most comic fans don't know.

I loved the line about whether the stories of an original Antman were true, or were just "propoganda...tales to astonish".

Yeah I loved that line.

me as well

Cutesy little nods to the source always make me cringe. I would rather they actually use more of the source (shrug)

-consistency-36616.jpg

Agreed -- by that rubric there's no way that Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, or even Blade would have done as well as they did.

In the end, quality trumps "brand recognition" -- just ask the folks involved with Batman & Robin or Superman Returns.

Ditto, your premise is incorrect: in 1968 Fantastic Four was the best-selling Marvel outside of Amazing Spider-Man, and both books were outsold by Tarzan.

In 1973, FF was still 2nd to ASM among Marvels, and Thor, Iron Man & Hulk all out-sold Avengers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tarzan next year does bigger box office than Fantastic Four does this year.

Tarzan-cast.jpg

Actually.... you may be right....

Margot Robbie in a leopard skin bikini..... holy sheena.....

]gifjayneillbeinmybunk.gif