• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'll say this - this place sucks at times from the perspective of a collector who actually wants a book when a seller is selling something at a decent price only for the benefit of this community and a "dealer" comes along and snatches it up as they hit F5 repeatedly. :sorry:

Then in turn offers it up for sale a month later at a markup. Seems like a giant FU to this place, but it is what it is. meh

No different really than dealer pre-selling to other dealers before the public gets a shot at the books. As a collector, it sucks but hey, that's what you get in a free market.

The only time is reaches d-bag levels is when someone claims to only want the comic for their collection, uses some sob story on the seller, and claims they will "never sell" and then they end up flipping it. meh

This.

I couldn't care less if I sell something to someone and they resell it for a profit. But don't pitch me a story about your dad buying this book for you when you were a kid, and he died in a tragic accident soon after, and this is your forever copy, blah blah blah...

Then next week you see it for sale at 30% more than you had it listed for.

And then we find out the dad is still alive. :eyeroll:

Yeah, it's a mixed bad. It's nice to have the dealers/flippers to provide liquidity, but can obviously hurt the collector-purchaser (which I think is what this community used to focus on, at least in spirit).

Back-in-my-dayisms don't often capture the reality of what was.

You mean that snow wasn't really up to my waist?

And I didn't have to walk 20 miles in it?

Backwards?

With no shoes?

But don't pitch me a story about your dad buying this book for you when you were a kid, and he died in a tragic accident soon after, and this is your forever copy, blah blah blah...

Yeah, and also don't give us that B/S about "I just want to read it...I haven't read that one yet" and then sell it for 30% more next week. Yeah, you wanted to read it. ;) Just call it what it is. :D

I'll say this - this place sucks at times from the perspective of a collector who actually wants a book when a seller is selling something at a decent price only for the benefit of this community and a "dealer" comes along and snatches it up as they hit F5 repeatedly. :sorry:

Then in turn offers it up for sale a month later at a markup. Seems like a giant FU to this place, but it is what it is. meh

No different really than dealer pre-selling to other dealers before the public gets a shot at the books. As a collector, it sucks but hey, that's what you get in a free market.

The only time is reaches d-bag levels is when someone claims to only want the comic for their collection, uses some sob story on the seller, and claims they will "never sell" and then they end up flipping it. meh

This.

I couldn't care less if I sell something to someone and they resell it for a profit. But don't pitch me a story about your dad buying this book for you when you were a kid, and he died in a tragic accident soon after, and this is your forever copy, blah blah blah...

I often wonder what shill he has come back as...

Yeah, it's a mixed bad. It's nice to have the dealers/flippers to provide liquidity, but can obviously hurt the collector-purchaser (which I think is what this community used to focus on, at least in spirit).

Back-in-my-dayisms don't often capture the reality of what was.

You mean that snow wasn't really up to my waist?

And I didn't have to walk 20 miles in it?

Backwards?

With no shoes?

Uphill. Both ways.

I'm not begrudging anyone by bringing this up...and the new price being asked by the seller is indeed a fair asking price...I'm just waxing philosophic. Sigh.

I love a good discussion. I typically try to wait a bit before bringing a book back to the boards (if its not snatched up on other outlets) but it came in right before I started a sales thread. I never begrudge anyone flipping the books I sell them either here on the boards or elsewhere.

I'm fine with boardies flipping books bought here with a few exceptions.

Insta-flipping books bought on the boards to sell on the boards is lame. Wait more than a week, if you're in a hurry go to a different venue.

Dominating a popular sales thread for resale here is also lame. I'm talking the f5 fests where numerous people, many for their own collections, are trying to take books. Have a little restraint and let a few others get a good deal.

The worst thing I've personally experienced in a sales thread is where one of our more popular flippers ninja edited their "I'll take it" so they ensured that they got the book to flip. We posted our "take it's" within seconds of each other.

They originally posted some garbage like "take op1". A spelling mistake as it didn't apply to any offered book, but enough of a mistake where I should have gotten the book. Instead, they ninja edited their "take it" after presumably seeing my "take it" so theirs would correctly corresponded to the book offered.

If you can't take the time to spell the title correctly, your "take it" should be invalid and the next in line gets it. They'll be more books to flip and you just alienated a boardie from ever wanting to buy from you again.

Edited by Boboset

I've flipped two books here on the boards. Held each for at least a year first...

That TOS57 has sold only twice in the last two years for his asking price (or more). It's sold for less the other eleven times.

$600 was a fair price for a quick sale (and it worked)

$750 is a fair price for a sale if he's willing to wait...

It looked like a straight up sale, no "oh I'd love to have this for my collection" type stuff, no trying to whittle down a price...

the whole thread was not to involve you at all!!!!!!!

the point was to show how not to ship a comic book!!!!!!!!

I was trying to prove a simple point envelopes is the wrong way to go.

no matter how ridged anyone thinks an envelope is it will not last with the USPS and there shipping bad habits.

you can clearly see in the pictures that the integrity of the envelope was no match in the ring with the USPS

USPS K.O.ed it with no problem

but people attacking me or you was not the point, those people clearly missed the ball

it was too simply show that no envelope is safe from serious damage.

I apologize for the personal attack and that was not my intention it was only to bring light on shipping and shipping habits.

Wow!

:foryou:

Take a step back. If that was your point then you failed miserably in proving it. (thumbs u

FYI: when you post publicly then we all have the option to be involved. :gossip:

For someone that swore this was the worst part of the boards and said they wouldn't be posting here, you sure are posing here a lot :insane:

Less than a dozen posts is a lot? lol

Compared to how much you post in the post count thread, no.

Are you stalking him?

Im stalking you.

:banana:

:foryou:

I stalk both of you between posts. :shy:

As it should be.

Indeed.

This.

So then, I take it, drop-shipping is totally out of the question? :wishluck:

The only time it reaches d-bag levels is when someone claims to only want the comic for their collection, uses some sob story on the seller, and claims they will "never sell" and then they end up flipping it. meh

Ooooh...MMC?

I remember hearing about a few of these...

Someone better send Skybound the memo

You better get your PM's sorted, here's a recent one you haven't read yet....

#6115087 - 07/27/15 07:13 PM Re: Mystery Box

What is this then,before it gets buried in hippy dippy thickness....

This is a transaction that started in February that still hasn't been fulfilled.

Someone better send Skybound the memo

You better get your PM's sorted, here's a recent one you haven't read yet....

#6115087 - 07/27/15 07:13 PM Re: Mystery Box

What is this then,before it gets buried in hippy dippy thickness....

This is a transaction that started in February that still hasn't been fulfilled.

Id like to think you are being rather polite after six months...there has been communicating messafes im sure?