• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

It's time for another installment of "What Are You Watching?"

TV

Dominion

I didn't expect much since it was SyFy Channel, but this has quickly turned into my favorite show. Very similar background to Supernatural regarding angels, humans and God.

Humans

Probably my number two show right now. Love it.

Mr. Robot

My number three show. It's nice to see Christian Slater acting again too.

The Astronaut Wives Club

Probably my number four show. If you enjoyed "The Right Stuff," either the book or the movie, this is a no-brainer for you.

Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll

Enjoying this. Denis Leary is very funny.

The Man in the High Castle

This is awesome. A must see if you love PKD. The new episodes won't start until 2016 though.

Also watching TD and Brink of course. I'm watching The Whispers, but I really can't recommend it. Tried to watch Stitchers, Complications and Ballers, but had to dump them after a few episodes. Just finished Wayward Pines which I was initially excited about, but then it sort of tapered off. I've dumped tons of shows that I was watching last season that tapered off in quality (an example is Suits).

Movies

Jurassic World - Just saw this and can't recommend it.

Spy - Highly recommend. Melissa McCarthy is absolutely hilarious.

Maggie - Can't really recommend.

Mad Max: Fury Road - A lot of people liked this movie. I didn't. lol

What are you guys watching?

Anything good out there you can recommend?

Jurassic world was not special at all.

Spy was so-so for the first third of the movie. That's when I stopped watching.

I did enjoy the new Mad Max, though.

2c

It's 92 degrees Ditch here today (96 yesterday :eek:); too hot to work or do much of anything, so I'm staying inside to play. Only 15% humidity, thankfully.

Anyway...I'm finally getting around to some things I wanted to post here.

Salsa pics coming soon. :whee:

Jimmers gave me some cool recipes . I really wanted to try the quick and easy one, so I bought the ingredients and got everything ready.

BTW, I'm naming this Jimmers' Jiffy Jumpin' Jalapeno Salsa - or J4S for short. :)

1UmDiFB.jpg

(Next Slide)

Threw the chopped garlic and cilantro into the blender and opened up the can of jalapenos.

N0V9Urx.jpg

Strained the contents, and dumped it out on the cutting board.

I noticed two things: the jalapenos still had the stems on, so I decided to cut those off; and these are actually "pickled" jalapenos which means they're pretty salty, so I decided to omit any additional salt in the recipe.

d6j8i7W.jpg

(Next Slide)

Blender wasn't catching it right so I tamped it down with a wooden spoon, and added another 1/4 C water which turned out to be perfect. I only pulsed it a few times to keep it semi-chunky.

2Y5Tuy1.jpg

(Next Slide)

And here are the final results...

rdHkGnQ.jpg

tLbYkQj.jpg

ODBxYFo.jpg

FxEpkjt.jpg

Analysis

Super fast because there's no roasting/cooking involved, and delicious (I've definitely had this version in restaurants before). Compared to my first attempt this is faster, darker, saltier, with milder heat. When I make it again, I'm going to add a little lime juice which I think will reduce or eliminate the slight pickling taste from the jalapenos.

I ate up most of the J4S the first night with chips, but saved a little on the side for another experiment I wanted to try...

(Next Slide)

You may remember the various versions I've posted of my Sriracha Chicken.

Q2WKPos.jpg

Well, I wanted to see if J4S could replace the sriracha sauce and how that would affect the flavor.

Here are the results of substituting about 1/3 C J4S for the sriracha sauce.

qr8KMey.jpg

vBAoXEy.jpg

lol

It tasted great - about the same heat but with a different flavor. But next time I'll have to add some liquid, since it came out too dry.

I must say, I'm really partial to that sriracha sauce. I like the color much better with the chicken and black beans. It's really just a red versus green preference for me.

Anyway, Jimmers' Jiffy Jumpin' Jalapeno Salsa was a success! Give it a whirl sometime - it's quick, tasty and easy to make.

(Fini)