• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

I recently got a few pieces back from the framer. I actually bought the frames separate and just had them mat and place the art. Seemed to be a much cheaper option. Also to change out the glass was fairly inexpensive. I haven't put them up on the wall yet.

Nq3RwgE.jpg

XVnVjcW.jpg

That's a nice Jae Lee piece and it framed up well,

Thank you. It was a struggle to find anyone willing to sell one of his Inhuman pages that had the royal family but I ended up finding one at a very very reasonable price. I'm glad how it turned out.

The batman piece is Tony Moore and I think I need to go in and swap out the matting for a grey or something darker. It just doesn't look good against the white. I should have asked for framing advice prior to framing it. Oh well.

I almost always prefer white, or at least an off white mat when white is too stark on against aged or toned papers. But definitely that over any colored mat ever. I know it's a personal thing, so everyone has their tastes. Mine are to let the art speak for itself and not turn the mat and frame into furniture for the artwork.

In my early collecting years I did the whole color coordinated thing. Had a lot of work framed that way. And when I started decorating my new house with it, I realized I hated it.

IMO the colors in the work pop more and stand alone in a relatively simple setup, instead of blurring the line between what is the art and what is the frame, when color coordination becomes too overwhelming. I've seen (and owned) some beautifully executed framing jobs with Triple coordinated mats, ornate wood frames and matching filets, etc and so on. But get several in a room together and it is a visual mess (IMO). At the time my wife was an archival certified framer and managed a few frame shops for about 6 years. We had access to anything under the sun, and the first couple years we went all in. Until I realized what a mistake all that was.

Ask for advice, and most framers steer you toward the most overdone treatments and making the frame into an art object that is an extension of the artwork. They exercise their creativity onto the object you are framing. I prefer to celebrate the artist that made the art. Not have someone else attempt to extend that art into a holder that goes on the wall. But when I use the same color frame and roughly the same mats on everything the focus immediately shifts to appreciating the art in each piece, rather than the whole of the object hanging on the wall. The frames aren't intended to be the show in our house. It is the art within.

Which isn't to say the frames are devoid of personality. In my case I've gone with black frames. But not all the frames are the same shape, style or even finish. The frames have been chosen for the pieces that go in them, but seen lined along a wall, they carry a visual continuity that I feel let's the art do the talking far more than my frame as furniture versions ever did. And so there was a lot I framed twice. Pricey realization, but worth the change. Still have a couple of the old frames lingering that need changing, now that I think on it.

Anyway, I dig the Bats and that the whole image pops. If you have 4 or 5 framed pieces in B&w and this is your only color one, it might seem a little anachronistic, but the alternative will be even more so unless he is hung in a whole separate space. If you keep him as is, and add other color pieces using your same basic framing formula he will eventually fit right in......but that's just me.

+1 Black frame, white (or whitish) matting - clearly define its' borders and let the art be the art. I do not try and "add" to the art with a frame or matting.

This is Captain America: The Chosen #5, page 5 by Mitch Breitweiser. I've been waiting a good 6 years to buy this page and finally had the chance to get it. I love the detail. It's got Cap's origin in there, and iconic running pose in the rain, guns, cars. It tells a story and inspires imagination. Within the entire story, this page is part of a very vulnerable moment for Cap. If you read it in context, it gets a bit emotional.

Eig67toY_2407151424501.jpg

Edited by justin

This is Captain America: The Chosen #5, page 5 by Mitch Breitweiser. I've been waiting a good 6 years to buy this page and finally had the chance to get it. I love the detail. It's got Cap's origin in there, and iconic running pose in the rain, guns, cars. It tells a story and inspires imagination. Within the entire story, this page is part of a very vulnerable moment for Cap. If you read it in context, it gets a bit emotional.

Stunning page. Patience pays off!

True Terry-Its been through 4 or 5 moves along the way and I have been lax about touching up the paint where it got scratched up a bit. I like the Deco quality of the frame though and its apt for the period the story takes place in.

Have had the piece for a couple years. Got it framed a little bit ago but just hung it up in my office. First framed piece.

IMG_9805_zps9yffxpsz.jpg

That has a very elegant look to it The frame really complements the art