• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

I've received plenty of books from boardies in the flat rate envelope that the USPS has. They make sure to put plenty of cardboard and never had an issue.

I ship most low value books in a bubble mailer, with plenty of cardboard and have about a 99% success rate

.... just double bag the books in case it's left on the porch in the rain..... I've gotten packages like that and even though wet on the outside, the books were fine. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

The part I don't understand in all this is the lack of cardboard in the packing. That was never going to work.

...cardboard is a must. I never buy again from sellers who don't pack right. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

the whole thread was not to involve you at all!!!!!!!

the point was to show how not to ship a comic book!!!!!!!!

I was trying to prove a simple point envelopes is the wrong way to go.

no matter how ridged anyone thinks an envelope is it will not last with the USPS and there shipping bad habits.

you can clearly see in the pictures that the integrity of the envelope was no match in the ring with the USPS

USPS K.O.ed it with no problem

but people attacking me or you was not the point, those people clearly missed the ball

it was too simply show that no envelope is safe from serious damage.

I apologize for the personal attack and that was not my intention it was only to bring light on shipping and shipping habits.

Wow!

Take a step back. If that was your point then you failed miserably in proving it. (thumbs u

FYI: when you post publicly then we all have the option to be involved. :gossip:

For someone that swore this was the worst part of the boards and said they wouldn't be posting here, you sure are posing here a lot :insane:

no matter how ridged anyone thinks an envelope is it will not last with the USPS and there shipping bad habits.

you can clearly see in the pictures that the integrity of the envelope was no match in the ring with the USPS

but people attacking me or you was not the point, those people clearly missed the ball

I apologize for the personal attack and that was not my intention it was only to bring light on shipping and shipping habits.

If your point was to point out shipping flaws, you should have looked around. There are a lot of threads about shipping and packing comics and a bump to one of them would have served a better purpose.

Here is generally where people post issues about sellers.

WTTB (thumbs u

Here's a pretty solid thread that can always use a :bump:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3377506

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

@fmaz

You handled yourself in an extremely professional manner throughout that exchange. You kept your cool despite his lack of professionalism. Kudos.

I believe, and I'm sure it will be a majority viewpoint, that you cannot send valuable comics in a mailer with little protection. I've received comics shipped to me in the same mailer you use and they have incurred damage. For a book of this price, you should be using a box 100% of the time.

+1

That was a very professional and earnest response. That's the type of seller we need here. Someone who stands behind their books and their shipping without hesitation. Well done.

Also agree that a $100 book deserves a box. I use bags unlimited's comic mailer boxes. They allow for up to 8 books, cardboard and bubble wrap inside the box AND it fits completely inside a USPS flat rate priority padded envelope which costs $6 to ship.

That gives you boxed shipping for envelope pricing.

But wait...you're still using an envelope. And I won't buy from anyone who ships comics in an envelope, dammit! :sumo:

:roflmao:

:insane:

But...

it's in a box....

too....

??

:cry:

The part I don't understand in all this is the lack of cardboard in the packing. That was never going to work.

Total brain cramp on my part. Always part of the program but I packed/mailed a bunch of orders that night and for whatever reason that one I forgot to add it. I was horrified when I saw the photos. That's why in my original response I said something about how it had "the mailer, plus cardboard and it still got crushed?"

Then I saw the photos and :facepalm:

No excuse for that at all.

I do like to put a layer of boards over the bubble wrap before the cardboard though, so that wasn't in place of it. Just a missed step.

The way that mailer was crushed though, I'm not sure cardboard would have helped in this case....

Regardless, totally 100 percent my error. I do think these things are good and with the cardboard they're safe and I've had good responses from using them. But I'll probably use them for cheap books only going forward, or always give buyer a choice of options.

So lesson learned in that regard.

And guys? The buyer here is REALLY new... I'm the one he dragged out in public here and I don't think for one second he had the slightest intent of trying to attack me personally. So maybe we give him a break on this?

Wow!

Take a step back. If that was your point then you failed miserably in proving it. (thumbs u

FYI: when you post publicly then we all have the option to be involved. :gossip:

For someone that swore this was the worst part of the boards and said they wouldn't be posting here, you sure are posing here a lot :insane:

Less than a dozen posts is a lot? lol

Wow!

Compared to how much you post in the post count thread, no.

Wow!

I'm with the JD.

We've got a seller who made a mistake, offered a FULL refund, and was almost IMMEDIATELY 'outed' anyways (yes the OP says that wasn't the intent, but we ALL know that HE knows that it was going to happen). The seller wasn't trying to scam anyone, the buyer just wanted some acknowledgement that his way was 'better', and that everyone should know that. While that may or may not be true, that's not owed to you or anyone else by the seller. They owe you the product you paid for or a refund, and maybe to act professionally, which is what occurred. Not an apology, not an acknowledgement, though that would be nice.

Its not ideal to send/recieve a product damaged in shipping, but HOWEVER I choose to ship, I acknowledge that the risk is mine as the seller (unless otherwise stated). The seller knew the risk, bore the risk, and has accepted the loss, and attempted to make it right. That should be enough for the OP or any buyer. We don't live in a perfect world, and stuff gets damaged, and we're not all in this as a business, understanding every single best practice out there. Not that we SHOULDN'T do our best within our price/effort/risk preferences, but that its a million times more important that we make it right when bad stuff happens, and I know I personally wouldn't want to sell to someone who doesn't see it that way, and values 'being right' more than 'doing right'.

Wow!

:eyeroll:

@fmaz

You handled yourself in an extremely professional manner throughout that exchange. You kept your cool despite his lack of professionalism. Kudos.

I believe, and I'm sure it will be a majority viewpoint, that you cannot send valuable comics in a mailer with little protection. I've received comics shipped to me in the same mailer you use and they have incurred damage. For a book of this price, you should be using a box 100% of the time.

+1

That was a very professional and earnest response. That's the type of seller we need here. Someone who stands behind their books and their shipping without hesitation. Well done.

Also agree that a $100 book deserves a box. I use bags unlimited's comic mailer boxes. They allow for up to 8 books, cardboard and bubble wrap inside the box AND it fits completely inside a USPS flat rate priority padded envelope which costs $6 to ship.

I knew I liked you for some reason. lol

Those are awesome mailer boxes.

5313.jpg

[+]

I didn't realize they'd fit in a flat rate envelope. Do you use the standard or legal size?

With the legal size, I can sandwich a book between eight pieces of oversized corrugated cardboard (the book is bagged/boarded, rebagged with a sacrificial bag which is then taped to a board using painters tape for easy removal), wrap it in a water-proof bag and still have plenty of room. It's basically like shipping a cardboard brick with the rigidity of hard-cover book inside an envelope.

But for shipping multiple books, that mailer box would be the way to go. Great idea.

Wow!

Are you stalking him?

@fmaz

+1

I knew I liked you for some reason. lol

Those are awesome mailer boxes.

5313.jpg

[+]

I didn't realize they'd fit in a flat rate envelope. Do you use the standard or legal size?

With the legal size, I can sandwich a book between eight pieces of oversized corrugated cardboard (the book is bagged/boarded, rebagged with a sacrificial bag which is then taped to a board using painters tape for easy removal), wrap it in a water-proof bag and still have plenty of room. It's basically like shipping a cardboard brick with the rigidity of hard-cover book inside an envelope.

But for shipping multiple books, that mailer box would be the way to go. Great idea.

That mailer fits easily within this envelope....

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNavIds=shipping-supplies%3apriority-mail&categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&productId=P_EP14PE&categoryId=priority-mail

Padded, Priority Flat Rate Envelope....9.5" x 12.5"

aEP14PE-01-main-600x480.jpg