• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

rick, how do you view pre-hero DC's at the moment, and for the future?

How big a factor is the cover artist (Flessel, Sullivan, Guardineer, etc.) for these very tough books?

:o Woah Steve!

I just caught up to Fleisel Who's this Sullivan guy?

[Of course Fred is so passé]

Vin Sullivan, he did a lot of the early DC funny covers - he doesn't really hold a candle to Flessel or Guardineer, but I'm finding his output mildly charming.

How big a factor is the cover artist (Flessel, Sullivan, Guardineer, etc.) for these very tough books?

as we know, the entrance of even 1 or 2 serious collectors for these type books can affect the entire market (positively)...a single exiting collector will typically not affect the market negatively, as there are generally enough seekers to prop up, but if multiple collectors exit, future uncertain ..., at the current moment, the emergence of some new interest, has caused an uptick in demand, and hence prices (I think that was obvious at sdcc this past weeks)

without question much of the appeal has to be the artists (covers as well as their corresponding interior work)... I believe that, along with great scarcity, is a premium determinant of demand

Thanks rick - the pre-hero market is definitely niche, but the guys who go all-out (I consider myself just a dabbler) really bring the passion to the table.

The raw, early history of the books is probably the greatest draw for me (along with some of the classics covers too, of course).

Vin Sullivan, he did a lot of the early DC funny covers - he doesn't really hold a candle to Flessel or Guardineer, but I'm finding his output mildly charming.

I love his cover art on Detective Comics #1

as we know, the entrance of even 1 or 2 serious collectors for these type books can affect the entire market (positively)...a single exiting collector will typically not affect the market negatively, as there are generally enough seekers to prop up, but if multiple collectors exit, future uncertain ..., at the current moment, the emergence of some new interest, has caused an uptick in demand, and hence prices (I think that was obvious at sdcc this past weeks)

without question much of the appeal has to be the artists (covers as well as their corresponding interior work)... I believe that, along with great scarcity, is a premium determinant of demand

Thanks rick - the pre-hero market is definitely niche, but the guys who go all-out (I consider myself just a dabbler) really bring the passion to the table.

The raw, early history of the books is probably the greatest draw for me (along with some of the classics covers too, of course).

that's my biggest draw to centaurs...the history, the evolution of the artists, etc... I like the DC's too...

I love his cover art on Detective Comics #1

a classic for sure

... that's my biggest draw to centaurs...the history, the evolution of the artists, etc... I like the DC's too...

Centaurs also have the advantage of being pre-Timelys ...Everett, Burgos, Gustavson, Mills, Thompson, Simon, etc.

Love 'em. :cloud9:

well, I have had steroid shots, and xrays... to the surprise of the doctor and virtually everyone that has seen, the result of my injury is just a severe sprain...

no ligament/tendon damage, no breaks or fractures, just a really bad sprain....

in fact, I gingerly tried to shoot a few shots last night....hopefully I will be walkable by next Friday morning in Chicago for the dealer bball game

well, I have had steroid shots, and xrays... to the surprise of the doctor and virtually everyone that has seen, the result of my injury is just a severe sprain...

no ligament/tendon damage, no breaks or fractures, just a really bad sprain....

in fact, I gingerly tried to shoot a few shots last night....hopefully I will be walker-able by next Friday morning in Chicago for the dealer bball game

(thumbs u

invacare-walkers.jpg

GAtor,

what is your estimate for the pre-Robins in CC's upcoming auction ?

too high (thumbs u

Bubble? Is there any hope of a correction and buying some at lesser prices in the coming years...? Or did I misinterpret your comment completely?

I just don't get the Tec 37 bidding. 3 pieces of tape on the interior and large initials scrawled in pencil on the front cover don't seem to be holding people back.
mind boggling indeed

coming years, My guess is yes....but define "coming " years... 5? 10? more? that is the uncertainty that only my crystal ball provides for me lol

Has there been any kind of 'bubble popping' in pre-robin TEC's before or some noticeable price correction over the last say 25-30 years?

They seem to have trended steadily upward with an outsized move more recently (more so in TEC 31).

Maybe they are all overdue for a correction....

I just don't get the Tec 37 bidding. 3 pieces of tape on the interior and large initials scrawled in pencil on the front cover don't seem to be holding people back.
mind boggling indeed

if they can bid a tec 44 8.5 up to 19k, a tec 37 7.5 @ 34k shouldn't be too big a stretch.