• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIZARD STOCK IN FREE FALL
1 1

375 posts in this topic

Hes a mix of Iggy Pop and Ric Flair with a whole lot of meshuga

Gives me the impression of a fast talking used car salesman whereby your Spidey sense would be tingling like mad every time he opens his mouth. lol

Sometimes, too much passion sends the wrong message. hm

That's my impression too. Passionate? Sure. Used car salesman about to screw you in any possible deal? Absolutely. I wouldn't trust a word out of his mouth if there was any even discussion of a deal.

I've done many a deal with Mikey Carbo and never had an issue or a regret.

Have you ever done one?

Nope. As I said, it's an impression. I've talked to him & been around him when he's done other deals with other sellers/buyers. But I haven't done business with him. It's just an impression for me. He just sets off alarm bells in my head when I hear him wheeling & dealing. And I trust my gut when it comes to who I want to do business with. Even if it means I miss out on something. Not saying it's right or even saying anything about his character.

He's got a lot of charm. He's also a salesman thru & thru and I don't like being "sold" anything. So maybe that's where the alarm bells are from. I prefer to be left alone to find what I want & decide without someone trying to sell me something.

I've bought and traded with him a couple of times over the years. He comes on pretty strong, as can be seen in the video. He's old school. Will try to undergrade on the way in and overgrade on the way out, but that comes with the territory I suppose. Nice enough guy though.

Let me hold a raw Action #1 many, many years ago, which was a cool thing to do for an 18 year old. Overall, I have gotten a kick out of him in the very limited transactions I've had with him.

carbo for face-to-face is fine. just know he is an aggressive new yorker. not so much lately, but in the 90s/early 2000s I spent thousands with him. but he's a different sort of dealer now, a bit less desperate to make $150 or whatever. his dad is a nice guy.

a DD 1 i bought from him 20 years ago did come back with a small sealed tear on the back cover that i did not see either. it was part of a big package deal and i doubt he was aware of it as it was not apparent to our expert pressologist here when the person who bought it from me sent it in for a pressing en route to slabbing.

one of these days I will slab the VF or better avengers 2 that came with the deal and see how that turns out.

Stock (WIZD) down another 42% today after getting pummeled 28% last Friday on no apparent news. Full disclosure I have (fortunately at this point), a very small position in the stock.

:gossip: It's because they gave Carbo a TV Show. I'd sell all my stock after finding that out! http://finance.yahoo.com/news/contv-launches-original-series-comic-100000789.html

So Mike finally got an actual show? Some jokster on here was quite prescient.

criminey, what is that, carbo circa 1985? he's had white/grey hair for a while now.

carbo for face-to-face is fine. just know he is an aggressive new yorker. not so much lately, but in the 90s/early 2000s I spent thousands with him. but he's a different sort of dealer now, a bit less desperate to make $150 or whatever. his dad is a nice guy.

a DD 1 i bought from him 20 years ago did come back with a small sealed tear on the back cover that i did not see either. it was part of a big package deal and i doubt he was aware of it as it was not apparent to our expert pressologist here when the person who bought it from me sent it in for a pressing en route to slabbing.

one of these days I will slab the VF or better avengers 2 that came with the deal and see how that turns out.

Around 1991, I bought a FF 48 off him in a package deal of about five books. In 2005, or so, I sent it in to get slabbed. It came back 7.5, Restored- tears sealed, slight color touch. At a show a few months later, I casually mentioned it to him. He asked me what I paid for it and offered me the purchase price back in free stuff off his table and told me to keep the book. He said if I couldn't find anything I wanted, he'd give me back cash. I took the merchandise and thought he was quite generous about it. A purple FF 48 in 2005 was still worth several times the purchase price.

Gives me the impression of a fast talking used car salesman whereby your Spidey sense would be tingling like mad every time he opens his mouth. lol

That's my impression too. Passionate? Sure. Used car salesman about to screw you in any possible deal? Absolutely. I wouldn't trust a word out of his mouth if there was any even discussion of a deal.

Have you ever done one?

Nope. As I said, it's an impression. I've talked to him & been around him when he's done other deals with other sellers/buyers. But I haven't done business with him. It's just an impression for me. He just sets off alarm bells in my head when I hear him wheeling & dealing. And I trust my gut when it comes to who I want to do business with. Even if it means I miss out on something. Not saying it's right or even saying anything about his character.

He's got a lot of charm. He's also a salesman thru & thru and I don't like being "sold" anything. So maybe that's where the alarm bells are from. I prefer to be left alone to find what I want & decide without someone trying to sell me something.

Carbo is a reality show done right. Period.

I would pay to see the guy wheelin and dealin better than any other man/woman in the biz.. Just because of his character. The guys a living breathing walking cartoon for heaven's sakes

Have you ever done one?

Carbo is a reality show done right. Period.

I would pay to see the guy wheelin and dealin better than any other man/woman in the biz.. Just because of his character. The guys a living breathing walking cartoon for heaven's sakes

Oh that's absolutely a perfect comparison. He's definitely a tv cartoon character in human skin. And I'll watch & enjoy the show. But just because I like watching a show doesn't make me itch to join the cast. lol

The easiest way to get your own reality show is to be in the cast of another one. Get on Carbs show and be outlandish. Then you can get your own show and introduce the world to the dynamo that is kav.

I'm not kav.

But I do already terrify and polarize vast numbers of people in my personal life. Reality shows would just be an excuse to expose even more people to my general daily dose of dickbaggery.

But then again... this could be a fun show also

I would literally give $50 to anyone who could excise that horrible song from my memory banks. :tonofbricks:

Glad I watched with the volume off!

I'm not kav.

But I do already terrify and polarize vast numbers of people in my personal life. Reality shows would just be an excuse to expose even more people to my general daily dose of dickbaggery.

No, but putting kav on your show would ensure ratings.

Stock (WIZD) down another 42% today after getting pummeled 28% last Friday on no apparent news. Full disclosure I have (fortunately at this point), a very small position in the stock.

Good lord, why? lol

maybe he traded in some wizard 1/2s for a 5% share in the company?

Good lord, why? lol

Stock options for supporting the shows?

Good lord, why? lol

Because Stan Lee signed it

I used to avoid Carbo like the plague. Maybe because of that "NY dealer" 'tude. My buddies used to call him "The Barker" with that sideshow thing he does so well. Then I set up next to him at a show and got to know him. I found him to be super friendly, very knowledgeable and fair to me. He always wants to buy my stuff but I haven't ever gone there and probably wouldn't. I have however, bought lots of stuff from him. I have always been very happy with the deals he gave me. Once he got to know me and realized I'd been doing it as long as he has, we get along great.

I do get tired, just watching him go. He has unbridled energy and a passion for collectibles. "The thrill of the deal" is everything to him and really comes across in this video.

Not many hobbies can get away with characters like this. And we have plenty in this biz. Part of what makes it so fun!

Edited by Robot Man

I used to avoid Carbo like the plague. Maybe because of that "NY dealer" 'tude. My buddies used to call him "The Barker" with that sideshow thing he does so well. Then I set up next to him at a show and got to know him. I found him to be super friendly, very knowledgeable and fair to me. He always wants to buy my stuff but I haven't ever gone there and probably wouldn't. I have however, bought lots of stuff from him. I have always been very happy with the deals he gave me. Once he got to know me and realized I'd been doing it as long as he has, we get along great.

I do get tired, just watching him go. He has unbridled energy and a passion for collectibles. "The thrill of the deal" is everything to me and really comes across in this video.

Not many hobbies can get away with characters like this. And we have plenty in this biz. Part of what makes it so fun!

Spoken like a true gentleman!

And with a sig line like that, expect a call from Mike real soon lol