• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

I'm happy to try photobucket. When you scan, is it possible to scan directly to your photobucket account? If not, what is your process? I'm feel like I'm missing something really easy.

Awesome. Photobucket is much easier just because they've got the forum IMG link all set up for you for an easy copy and paste.

I scan to my Pictures folder on my computer and then drag and drop to the Photobucket upload page. I think that's probably as simple as it gets, unless I'm missing something too hm

I use a Mac. I used to be able to drag the scan from iPhoto right into Photobucket, but this doesn't seem to work with Photos. Now I have to drag the scan from Photos to my desktop and then drag it into Photobucket.

I use an 8250 but you do get glare the odd time, esp with GA books where the holder is thicker.

I use an 8250 but you do get glare the odd time, esp with GA books where the holder is thicker.

I have the HP 8300 and I would say the glare is present on the scans of just about every GA book. I've tried the various suggestions -- putting a little pressure on the books while scanning, scanning with the lid open -- and they help some, but I can't eliminate the glare.

Still, the scans seems fine otherwise and usually the glare isn't obscuring anything too crucial.

Got in the 8270 that I purchased off Ebay. Seller has been very supportive.

However, HP software that I downloaded off hp.com for the 8270 Windows 7 64 bit software does not work. Software will get me all the way to where I enter the file name and where I want to save the file. Scanner looks like it is going to start and then the application fails.

However, if I go into devices via the control panel, right click on the scanner and hit scan I can generate scans which are pretty good. Have very limited "user" options but again the scans are very clear and very fast.

Have been on with HP tech support twice in 2 days. First off let me say that HP tech support is not the greatest. First guy today told me to buy a new scanner. I was very NICE and told him to put me through to somebody who knows what they are doing. I reminded him before he transferred me that the scanner worked just fine, it was the software that didn't work. He reminded me that this scanner came out in 2006 and that HP doesn't support the software any more. Which invoked the "Well then why is the software on the download server" if it doesn't work for Windows 7.

2nd person wants me to fax over a purchase order before she will help me.

Oh joy.

Will update you to see if I ever get the bells and whistles software to work. However, if you are buying older scanners be very leery that the software will work for it.

If any programmers have any suggestions please pm me. I have uninstalled/installed at least 4 times now. I have done the installs in the order HP told me to.

However, HP software that I downloaded off hp.com for the 8270 Windows 7 64 bit software does not work. Software will get me all the way to where I enter the file name and where I want to save the file. Scanner looks like it is going to start and then the application fails.

However, if I go into devices via the control panel, right click on the scanner and hit scan I can generate scans which are pretty good. Have very limited "user" options but again the scans are very clear and very fast.

Have been on with HP tech support twice in 2 days. First off let me say that HP tech support is not the greatest. First guy today told me to buy a new scanner. I was very NICE and told him to put me through to somebody who knows what they are doing. I reminded him before he transferred me that the scanner worked just fine, it was the software that didn't work. He reminded me that this scanner came out in 2006 and that HP doesn't support the software any more. Which invoked the "Well then why is the software on the download server" if it doesn't work for Windows 7.

Oh joy.

Will update you to see if I ever get the bells and whistles software to work. However, if you are buying older scanners be very leery that the software will work for it.

If any programmers have any suggestions please pm me. I have uninstalled/installed at least 4 times now. I have done the installs in the order HP told me to.

PM Sent

I just ordered a HP 7410 from ebay thanks to the advice in this thread. I will post my progress after I receive it in the mail and have had time to experiment.

Are there free alternatives to Vuescan that others would recommend?

Oh joy.

Yes, you have to make sure the software will work. I have an iMac and after upgrading to Mavericks, my HP8250 scanner no longer works. The HP software will not work at all and there is no download for Mavericks.

I now have to use my Windows 7 laptop and MS Paint for scanning slabs.

Looks like I'll have to buy another more modern legal size scanner that will work on my iMac.

Oh joy.

Yes, you have to make sure the software will work. I have an iMac and after upgrading to Mavericks, my HP8250 scanner no longer works. The HP software will not work at all and there is no download for Mavericks.

I now have to use my Windows 7 laptop and MS Paint for scanning slabs.

Looks like I'll have to buy another more modern legal size scanner that will work on my iMac.

My HP8300 works fine using VueScan on an iMac with the latest operating system.

This is not just a question to you.

Are you uninstalling the HP software before loading Vuescan?

Thank you

I didn't. I think the VueScan software takes care of that for you.

Thank you

I tried using Vuescan but my scanner locked up and made some horrible sounds so, I quit using Vuescan.

Can't remember if I tried un-installing the HP software before installing Vuescan.

But I certainly did later on and Vuescan does not work all that great with my HP8250.

I must be doing something wrong but what it is, I don't know.

Thank you

I tried using Vuescan but my scanner locked up and made some horrible sounds so, I quit using Vuescan.

Can't remember if I tried un-installing the HP software before installing Vuescan.

But I certainly did later on and Vuescan does not work all that great with my HP8250.

I must be doing something wrong but what it is, I don't know.

Seems as if VueScan has updates all the time. Maybe by now they have fixed the problem you encountered.