• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rai 0 Glossy versus Non-Glossy...

99 posts in this topic

That's all we know so far... very hard to tell from a scan.

The comment that glossy versions are shorter on the front cover (right edge shows some of the first page) is true, but it's not clear if there are non-glossy covers with a short right edge as well.

CGC has only recently (within the past few weeks) begun specifying "Glossy" vs. "Matte" on the label.

Maybe we'll get some examples of the right edge "rule" (or if it's not always true).

there seems to be a ton of threads about this.... but no clear photos....

why not put the non glossy version on top of the glossy at a angle so it is clear...

it does not appear there is great of a difference...

also from that top portion that reflects in my copy... is there any way to say I have the glossy? I'm thinking not...

Edited by Snikt!1988

Okay.. I think I have a glossy one? How do I know? the cover is glossy...not flat like normal paper covers.

At this point I feel if everyone post descriptive photos of the cover we can come to some sort of conclusion...

from my small cross section can you guys say if I have one or not?image_zpsocske5nj.jpg

Only asking because I bought at a show raw listed at NM/M... It was the only copy around and I wanted to get it signed so the seller charged a premium... I just want to know that it was worth while..

going off of my memories as a teen... it must of been like ASM 298 299 stock right? a flat white almost transparent...

Edited by Snikt!1988

Another way to tell is to put a glossy version against another Valiant book from the same period. You can immediately tell the difference. The glossy version has a bright, well, glossy sheen over the top. Almost like poorly applied varnish.

Anyone else with the glossy version agree with this assessment?

from my small cross section can you guys say if I have one or not?image_zpsocske5nj.jpg

Only asking because I bought at a show raw listed at NM/M... It was the only copy around and I wanted to get it signed so the seller charged a premium... I just want to know that it was worth while..

going off of my memories as a teen... it must of been like ASM 298 299 stock right? a flat white almost transparent...

No, think of the glossy DC covers that are out today.