• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

moot means that you can argue forever and not reach an agreement

Most people think it means the opposite, that the point is settled and not worth arguing

But it also means a statement of no value because it is based on a hypothetical that is not consistent with the facts or details for the current discussion or debate.

Lawyer "A" "it would be unconscionable to not allow the defendant conjugal visits with his wife."

Lawyer "B" "it's a moot point because the defendant is not married."

What does it mean "a moot point"? I see "moot" means "open to discussion" or "controversial" but can’t figure out the precise meaning in english. hm

To answer your question the way people use it (correctly or not) is that it doesn't matter. In this case they are saying it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about mystery boxes since they are now banned. Or it doesn't matter the pros and cons of mystery boxes since they are banned.

What does it mean "a moot point"? I see "moot" means "open to discussion" or "controversial" but can’t figure out the precise meaning in english. hm

To answer your question the way people use it (correctly or not) is that it doesn't matter. In this case they are saying it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about mystery boxes since they are now banned. Or it doesn't matter the pros and cons of mystery boxes since they are banned.

True.

Debating the pros and cons of something that is now extinct is of no consequence as the end result is the same regardless of the outcome of the discussion.

Is routinely misused in English, making the word itself moot.

huh, look at that. I never knew I was using it improperly!

(and to think I was making fun of the people that say "mute"!)

Personally, I prefer the "Moo Point"

After reading all of the responses on this subject it seems what some people are trying to convey is the reason why selling mystery boxes is not good. One poster stated that they believe that the seller will give their friends all of the good books in their boxes while those to whom the seller doesn't know well and/or esteem will get boxes loaded with less than desirable books. Also, many buyers are not happy with what they get and believe that their box contents are not as valuable as the amount they paid for said box.

So, in order to keep things peaceable the mods banned them all together.

By what I have read I wouldn't doubt it if there were a lot more buyers of mystery boxes that were not very happy with what they got, but just won't say anything. In all of this, it looks like some people feel they were basically used to dump worthless books on. So, it looks like some just want to express their experiences and why they would never do it again regardless if it is now banned.

. One poster stated that they believe that the seller will give their friends all of the good books in their boxes while those to whom the seller doesn't know well and/or esteem will get boxes loaded with less than desirable books.

believe that was me, and what I think I said (and definitely meant) was that some mystery box threads are set up so the seller COULD favor one buyer over another.

I was also alluding to the old ebay scam of Selling 10 envelope chancess, 9 junk, one gets a NM98 and lo and behold the person who "gets" the NM98 is the sellers friend, and there either never was a NM98, or it never actually changed hands (just a way to bilk 9 other people out of money with the promise of a chance at a good book).

again not saying that happened here, just that SOME mystery threads are set up so that it COULD occur if the seller was unscrupulous.

Thoughts on this. A buyer agrees to purchase a book.

You send invoice or even before you send invoice buyer sends you a link

to ebay auction asking you to meet that ebay price in the link after he agrees to your price. He has done this to me and another seller now.

What do you guys think about this. I am out not outing the buyer yet just getting some feedback here. Is this now an acceptable way to negotiate? Just to be honest I cancel my transaction because of it. I don't do business with people like that it just strikes me as wrong.

Edited by Fastballspecial

. One poster stated that they believe that the seller will give their friends all of the good books in their boxes while those to whom the seller doesn't know well and/or esteem will get boxes loaded with less than desirable books.

believe that was me, and what I think I said (and definitely meant) was that some mystery box threads are set up so the seller COULD favor one buyer over another.

I was also alluding to the old ebay scam of Selling 10 envelope chancess, 9 junk, one gets a NM98 and lo and behold the person who "gets" the NM98 is the sellers friend, and there either never was a NM98, or it never actually changed hands (just a way to bilk 9 other people out of money with the promise of a chance at a good book).

again not saying that happened here, just that SOME mystery threads are set up so that it COULD occur if the seller was unscrupulous.

As long as it isn't done on this board I don't care. I don't even think you should be allowed to advertise it to do in other places, but I am just content that they are banned here at least.

As long as it isn't done on this board I don't care. I don't even think you should be allowed to advertise it to do in other places, but I am just content that they are banned here at least.

Edited by Fastballspecial

to ebay auction asking you to meet that ebay price in the link after he agrees to your price. He has done this to me and another seller now.

What do you guys think about this. I am out not outing the buyer yet just getting some feedback here. Is this now an acceptable way to negotiate? Just to be honest I cancel my transaction because of it. I don't do business with people like that it just strikes me as wrong.

I think you know the answer.

I think you know the answer.

+1 they took your book, they agreed to your price. if the auction was higher, would they still link and ask to pay the higher price?

Edited by jsilverjanet

Not only is it wrong but he should be forced to pay the agreed price and when you ship the book you are allowed trap a Baconator fart in the box as an extra bonus to the buyer.

It's distasteful, but I don't think it's wrong for a buyer to try and renegotiate. Of course if you decline to renegotiate I believe he is still liable to the original price. If he reneges on the deal, then at that point there is an issue.

It makes the buyer a.....

D%20Bag_zpsd3smzofs.jpg

I personally find it not serious at all. If you were asking three times the current market value, maybe understandable, but when you agree to buy something at a given price it’s really poor to check prices afterwards and then get back to the seller asking for a discount. :P

Re: the "moot point".

It appears the appropriate translation into italian is "punto discutibile" / "punto controverso", which is consistent with the adjective.

So, even if it’s used the way Chris said, I believe Bird is right and that seems to be the most correct meaning in english. :shrug: