• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Recent purchases

Doc Strange 169

Was this a personal collection pick up - or part of the business?

If for the business - do you mind posting the grade and the cost (all costs including shipping) ? - if so I will give you an example of the math/estimating I do when evaluating an individual purchase.

Recent purchases

Doc Strange 169

If for the business - do you mind posting the grade and the cost (all costs including shipping) ? - if so I will give you an example of the math/estimating I do when evaluating an individual purchase.

heck - ignore that - lets use this as an example -

recent doc strange ebay sale

So - doc strange 169 is a decent minor key book. I might pick one up individually with the intention of slabbing for keep or resale - in either case my "math" is the same.

So - the book as a 4.5 was for sale for a total of $70 (with shipping)

Preference is in hand not ebay - but it kind of works the same (though I want more buffer for an ebay sale).

Looking the book over - and comparing to GPA.

As a slabbed 4.5, you can get 90-100 for the book.

Value track - ~ 25 to slab - if you are confident in the grade then it is a break even buy. Not bad for me - but my comics "business" is a side business and I can make pickups and break even - especially minor keys that I could sell quickly if I needed to (so I would not mind holding on to them).

The true value in these pickups - is if you can determine if they are undergraded or if a press/dry clean may have a significant effect. Books in hand are much easier to evaluate - but this book actually looks like an ok candidate if you think it can get to a 5.5 or higher. Looking at the scans alone - (and assuming that the black cover is augmenting the flaws in a scan) - a 6.0 might be possible but you will be paying $20 to see (and that 20 may only result in a total of a $40 benefit in price).

So - this example is a borderline one (and lest assume that it really is a solid 4.5 grade for this with upside on a clean and press) . For someone not reliant as this for income, might not have been a bad pickup. Good value and minimal loss for resale (both raw and if the buyer decides to slab).

For someone trying to run a business - not a lot of meat on the bone and a risk. Better to keep that cash in hand and look for a $500 "lot" of books (or more) that have more of a bulk discount built in.

Recent purchases

Doc Strange 169

So - doc strange 169 is a decent minor key book. I might pick one up individually with the intention of slabbing for keep or resale - in either case my "math" is the same.

Preference is in hand not ebay - but it kind of works the same (though I want more buffer for an ebay sale).

Value track - ~ 25 to slab - if you are confident in the grade then it is a break even buy. Not bad for me - but my comics "business" is a side business and I can make pickups and break even - especially minor keys that I could sell quickly if I needed to (so I would not mind holding on to them).

The true value in these pickups - is if you can determine if they are undergraded or if a press/dry clean may have a significant effect. Books in hand are much easier to evaluate - but this book actually looks like an ok candidate if you think it can get to a 5.5 or higher. Looking at the scans alone - (and assuming that the black cover is augmenting the flaws in a scan) - a 6.0 might be possible but you will be paying $20 to see (and that 20 may only result in a total of a $40 benefit in price).

So - this example is a borderline one (and lest assume that it really is a solid 4.5 grade for this with upside on a clean and press) . For someone not reliant as this for income, might not have been a bad pickup. Good value and minimal loss for resale (both raw and if the buyer decides to slab).

For someone trying to run a business - not a lot of meat on the bone and a risk. Better to keep that cash in hand and look for a $500 "lot" of books (or more) that have more of a bulk discount built in.

sound logic, and a good lesson. if you're buying single 'keys', minor or major, the odds are typically not especially great for 'meat on the bone', given the opportunity cost and associated risk. If you move plenty of volume with lots of built in overhead (storefront or conventions or a huge online store), then making just a bit per comic might be fine. But if you're selling individual comics, the meat shrinks quickly with being out cash, fees, taxes, shipping, customs, advertising, time, etc.

Recent purchases

Doc Strange 169

yes the collection are part of my business

Recent purchases

Doc Strange 169

when I get it I'll post scans of the doctor strange 169

A book like a mid grade DS 169, you'd be better off dry cleaning and pressing and selling it raw via BIN for virtually the same price as a slabbed mid grade copy..... then tieing up more money and time with having it slabbed.The $25 value track grading fee does not account for shipping, nor the fact that value track comes with about a 3 month waiting period.Or maybe 6 weeks, if fast tracked which is another $10 out of your pocket.

I don't see much sense in breaking even on a mid grade DS 169, especially adding the cost of grading/fast tracking....then waiting maybe 2 months for the book to arrive.You are investing a decent chunk of time with the dry cleaning/pressing...+ the cost of the book + CGC fees.

After you put in the requisite work to dry clean and press the Doc Strange yourself....call that anywhere from 30-60 minutes of dry cleaning, that's how long it takes me to thoroughly dry clean a mid grade SA book, I don't just dry clean white areas, I'll use a dry cleaning sponge and putty on the entire FC and BC, to remove virtually any surface dirt/,marks/stains etc and naptha for any gunk that I can't get up otherwise....then there is humidifying & pressing to put in....ugh.

You can get around a $100 for a raw VG/FN DS 169 via BIN.A buddy of mine sold a raw VG+ for $85 via BIN recently.I think it took him around 2 weeks to sell it after it was listed.He bought it at a comic store for $20, dry cleaned the book (he doesn't have a press) and flipped it pretty easily.

I bought a mid grade DS 169 at Wizard Philly for $20 or $25, and when I get around to dry cleaning/pressing it, I'll put it up raw for around a $100 and I'm confident it won't take long to sell.

If we were talking about a book which had potential to grade out, (post dry cleaning and pressing) as a 6.0 or better, then you'd get a better return on slabbing it vs. selling it raw via BIN......

BUT to do all that work and then invest more money and time by slabbing a 4.5 to just break even or at best to make 10-20% in 3-4 months after you pay for the book....

That is what I would consider a STRAIGHT UP LOSS.

A book like a mid grade DS 169, you'd be better off dry cleaning and pressing and selling it raw via BIN for virtually the same price as a slabbed mid grade copy..... then tieing up more money and time with having it slabbed.The $25 value track grading fee does not account for shipping, nor the fact that value track comes with about a 3 month waiting period.Or maybe 6 weeks, if fast tracked which is another $10 out of your pocket.

I don't see much sense in breaking even on a mid grade DS 169, especially adding the cost of grading/fast tracking....then waiting maybe 2 months for the book to arrive.You are investing a decent chunk of time with the dry cleaning/pressing...+ the cost of the book + CGC fees.

After you put in the requisite work to dry clean and press the Doc Strange yourself....call that anywhere from 30-60 minutes of dry cleaning, that's how long it takes me to thoroughly dry clean a mid grade SA book, I don't just dry clean white areas, I'll use a dry cleaning sponge and putty on the entire FC and BC, to remove virtually any surface dirt/,marks/stains etc and naptha for any gunk that I can't get up otherwise....then there is humidifying & pressing to put in....ugh.

You can get around a $100 for a raw VG/FN DS 169 via BIN.A buddy of mine sold a raw VG+ for $85 via BIN recently.I think it took him around 2 weeks to sell it after it was listed.He bought it at a comic store for $20, dry cleaned the book (he doesn't have a press) and flipped it pretty easily.

I bought a mid grade DS 169 at Wizard Philly for $20 or $25, and when I get around to dry cleaning/pressing it, I'll put it up raw for around a $100 and I'm confident it won't take long to sell.

If we were talking about a book which had potential to grade out, (post dry cleaning and pressing) as a 6.0 or better, then you'd get a better return on slabbing it vs. selling it raw via BIN......

BUT to do all that work and then invest more money and time by slabbing a 4.5 to just break even or at best to make 10-20% in 3-4 months after you pay for the book....

That is what I would consider a STRAIGHT UP LOSS.

yup when I get the scans I'll post them and I'll get around to the star wars 1 comic as well

Today's thoughts

grrr I hate paypal claims

Short box update

I purchased a short box of comics and the highlights are

Bat 361, 365, 368, 423, 424

NM 11,13,15, 20,25, 26

Batman and the outsiders 1

Crystar #1

Micronauts #1

Static #1

X-men 201

Moving update

I'll be moving out on my own on September the 1st

Lawyer

The guy that gave my the FF #1 and 2 to cosign said I don't have enough net worth or something like that to have those comics sent to me :(

Recent sales

Aquaman 29 2.0/2.5 copy

Aquaman 29 3.0/3.5 copy

Sgt Fury 5 2.0/2.5 copy

Recent purchases

NYX #3

Moving on your own,that mean dad not involved anymore? And NYX 3 that's agood one. Super long term potential on that one. I still see them for OK money compared to where I think that is going. If you see NYX 3 cheap grab it.

8 8