• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Meg Dejmal, John Upchurch
2 2

1,617 posts in this topic

Just look at the print runs.

Links?

So you're saying that diminishing print runs means less readers therefore less $.

I'd be inclined to agree, but it doesn't explain the lack of $ from development deals. Folks can't do that for free, it costs dolla-dolla bills y'all. (BTW, where the heck is Jimmy Linguini? Doesn't he come running when hip-hop language is used in the forums? Like following a trail of rap bread crumbs..lol)

Links?

So you're saying that diminishing print runs means less readers therefore less $.

I'd be inclined to agree, but it doesn't explain the lack of $ from development deals. Folks can't do that for free, it costs dolla-dolla bills y'all. (BTW, where the heck is Jimmy Linguini? Doesn't he come running when hip-hop language is used in the forums? Like following a trail of rap bread crumbs..lol)

He has his own site now with pretty regular updates on what he believes to be good spec books. I like his site and agree with him the vast majority of the time. I do miss him being as regular as he used to be on these boards. His colorful, creative, and sometimes provocative posts would help spice things up around here. :D

BTW, he just met Batman before he was Batman...

http://comicbookscalping.com/

Links?

He has his own site now with pretty regular updates on what he believes to be good spec books. I like his site and agree with him the vast majority of the time. I do miss him being as regular as he used to be on these boards. His colorful, creative, and sometimes provocative posts would help spice things up around here. :D

Are you saying that's Jimmy Linguini's website?!!?! When did Jimmy leave the boards? I was half joking, thought he got his rear booted temporarily....is it a permaban?

+1

I don't think PP even cracked the top 300 with its last three issues. The most recent documented numbers I could find that were for #17 with a print run of 5,598 and #20 at 5,471.

I'm no genius, either, but it seems your book would have to sell pretty well consistently to make money. Additionally, those sales numbers don't exactly equate to a lot of fans clamoring for it to be a show, so I don't see the carrot for studios to expedite putting PP on TV.

I love the book and wish it had 5,000 more fans each month. However, the facts of life suck sometimes. Mrs. Garrett never taught us that.

Links?

Are you saying that's Jimmy Linguini's website?!!?! When did Jimmy leave the boards? I was half joking, thought he got his rear booted temporarily....is it a permaban?

No, I don't think he got booted. lol

I just think he is spending more time on his site. I don't see him here as much as he used to be. (shrug)

+1

I don't think PP even cracked the top 300 with its last three issues. The most recent documented numbers I could find that were for #17 with a print run of 5,598 and #20 at 5,471.

I'm no genius, either, but it seems your book would have to sell pretty well consistently to make money. Additionally, those sales numbers don't exactly equate to a lot of fans clamoring for it to be a show, so I don't see the carrot for studios to expedite putting PP on TV.

I love the book and wish it had 5,000 more fans each month. However, the facts of life suck sometimes. Mrs. Garrett never taught us that.

Well, you know what they say. It take Different Strokes to get along... :D

Links?

No, I don't think he got booted. lol

I just think he is spending more time on his site. I don't see him here as much as he used to be. (shrug)

He's been busy filming in Toronto...you guys do know he is in Suicide Squad right...

+1

Well, you know what they say. It take Different Strokes to get along... :D

True, but all that does is highlight the fact she had another platform to educate us on this matter and she failed. Leaving all of us to wonder, Car 54, Where Are You?

I'm no comic company genius but how come Kurtis and Tyler and the rest of the Wiebe gang aren't making any $?

I think that sucks balls.

Both PP and RQ have that "Midas" touch.....in fact practically everything Kurtis touches is either optioned or speculated to be optioned.....the fans go nuts and the world continues to turn.

How come there's NO $ to be made in that effort? You'd think there'd be some BBC scratch since they've been in some stage of development with PP. Don't they have to pay cash to get those options?

Isn't PP creator owned? Doesn't that cash go to you guys?

What about RQ.....being developed similarly by the folks that did Heavy Metal? Same dealio...it can't cost NOTHING to option and develop animation.....

Someone please explain this most unrighteous situation.

You can never tell what kinda money is behind properties.. There are good licensing deals and ones.. sometimes you have to take a leap of faith when an agent comes and makes a good promise for your properties, but most likely than not, it will work in the agency's favor.

Just ask Alan Moore.

Also, RQ appears to be doing great for an independent title, print runs are always 15-20k on average, but even more so, the TPBs are top sellers. It would really make more sense for a creator to invest more on something that most people favor at the end of the day - if that decision impacts his career favorably. As a PP fan, Im sure it sucks, but I respect any writer/artist who gets to make those decisions in order to advance him/her creatively and financially.