• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Ditch Point Challenge Summary

Ken Aldred 145

HarveySwick 120

RockMyAmadeus 75

Batman 43

seanfingh 38

Bird 25

bababooey 18

jaybuck43 12

jaeldubyoo 11

Griff 10

jpepx78 10

kdoginohio 10

JAM_NYC 8

Park 8

Jeffro 7

jsilverjanet 5

Rune 5

MetalPSI 4

Revat 4

DeadPoolJr. 3

AmazingComics413 2

Gemma 2

Hibou 2

Jazzno 2

spideyfan76 2

BlowUpTheMoon 1

comix4fun 1

porcupine48 1

rjrjr 1

Ken Aldred 145

HarveySwick 120

RockMyAmadeus 75

Batman 43

seanfingh 38

Bird 25

bababooey 18

jaybuck43 12

jaeldubyoo 11

Griff 10

jpepx78 10

kdoginohio 10

JAM_NYC 8

Park 8

Jeffro 7

jsilverjanet 5

Rune 5

MetalPSI 4

Revat 4

DeadPoolJr. 3

AmazingComics413 2

Gemma 2

Hibou 2

Jazzno 2

spideyfan76 2

BlowUpTheMoon 1

comix4fun 1

porcupine48 1

rjrjr 1

[+]

Ken Aldred 145

HarveySwick 120

RockMyAmadeus 75

Batman 43

seanfingh 38

Bird 25

bababooey 18

jaybuck43 12

jaeldubyoo 11

Griff 10

jpepx78 10

kdoginohio 10

JAM_NYC 8

Park 8

Jeffro 7

jsilverjanet 5

Rune 5

MetalPSI 4

Revat 4

DeadPoolJr. 3

AmazingComics413 2

Gemma 2

Hibou 2

Jazzno 2

spideyfan76 2

BlowUpTheMoon 1

comix4fun 1

porcupine48 1

rjrjr 1

Ogami 1 Pony

Ken Aldred 145

HarveySwick 120

RockMyAmadeus 75

Batman 43

seanfingh 38

Bird 25

bababooey 18

jaybuck43 12

jaeldubyoo 11

Griff 10

jpepx78 10

kdoginohio 10

JAM_NYC 8

Park 8

Jeffro 7

jsilverjanet 5

Rune 5

MetalPSI 4

Revat 4

DeadPoolJr. 3

AmazingComics413 2

Gemma 2

Hibou 2

Jazzno 2

spideyfan76 2

BlowUpTheMoon 1

comix4fun 1

porcupine48 1

rjrjr 1

Ogami 1 Pony

[+]

Roasted Salsa Verde Recipe by Inspired Taste

You Will Need

1 lb. tomatillos (4-5 tomatillos)

1 jalapeno pepper

1 serrano pepper

2 unpeeled garlic cloves

1/2 cup chicken stock

4 tbsp. diced white onion

1/3 cup cilantro

1 tbsp. lime juice

1/2 tsp. salt

Directions

Move an oven rack to the top position for broiling. Preheat broiler to high.

Remove husks and wash tomatillos.

Place tomatillos, peppers and unpeeled garlic cloves into an oven-safe baking dish with sides. Place into the oven, 4 inches from the preheated broiler, until the tomatillos are roasted and the peppers are slightly charred on all sides, about 10-15 minutes. Rotate tomatillos, peppers and garlic during roasting to ensure all sides are slightly charred.

Remove the baking dish and add chicken stock to de-glaze the pan. If tomatillos, peppers and garlic are stuck to the bottom of the dish, use a wooden spoon to scrap the baking dish.

Once cool to the touch, peel the garlic and discard the skins (you may have to squeeze the soft garlic out of the skin).

For a spicier salsa, leave in all seeds from peppers, for a medium salsa, remove half of the seeds and for a mild salsa remove all seeds from peppers.

Add the tomatillos, garlic and peppers to a food processor as well as the onions, cilantro, lime juice and salt.

Add about 1/2 of the chicken stock from the baking dish and pulse the food processor 3-4 times or until the salsa has come together. You can add more chicken stock based on your own preferences for consistency.

Serve salsa warm, at room temperature or cold.

Notes and Tips

For easier removal of the pepper skins: as soon as you take them out from under the broiler, place them into a resealable plastic bag and leave them alone for 10 minutes, after ten minutes the steam generated from the peppers will make it really easy to remove the skins.

Modifications

You Will Need (Original)

1 jalapeno pepper

1 serrano pepper

2 unpeeled garlic cloves

1/2 cup chicken stock

1/3 cup cilantro

1 tbsp. lime juice

1/2 tsp. salt

You Will Need (Modified)

4 serrano peppers

5 large unpeeled garlic cloves

1/4 cup deglaze water

1/2 cup diced white onion

1/8 cup lime juice (1/2 lime)

1/2 tsp. salt

Ok...I'm finally getting around to this.

If you know me or have been reading my journal, you know I'm a DIY kinda guy - whether it's home brewing, home coffee roasting, dark room photography, building/painting street rods, building electric guitars, personal investing, having a home gym, slabbing/grading my own homemade pancakes, making all my meals from scratch, remodeling, yada yada...

I have a tool for any occasion. :grin:

When things get so big, I don't trust them at all

You want some control,you've got to keep it small

D.I.Y. D.I.Y. D.I.Y. D.I.Y.

Do it yourself

:cloud9:

Anyway, enough about me. (yeah right lol )

So, recently I've been looking for a great recipe for salsa. None of the bottled versions ever came close to the best restaurant salsas I've had, so I figured I needed to do it myself. I asked for some recipes here, and Jimmers and Hector gave me some great ideas and a place to start.

(Next Slide)

I've watched a lot of cooking shows where the chef roasted the peppers in various ways to enhance the flavor, and this sounded right up my alley.

So I searched around on the internet until I found a recipe that seemed to fit.

Roasted Salsa Verde Recipe by Inspired Taste

You Will Need

1 jalapeno pepper

1 serrano pepper

2 unpeeled garlic cloves

1/2 cup chicken stock

1/3 cup cilantro

1 tbsp. lime juice

1/2 tsp. salt

Directions

Move an oven rack to the top position for broiling. Preheat broiler to high.

Remove husks and wash tomatillos.

Place tomatillos, peppers and unpeeled garlic cloves into an oven-safe baking dish with sides. Place into the oven, 4 inches from the preheated broiler, until the tomatillos are roasted and the peppers are slightly charred on all sides, about 10-15 minutes. Rotate tomatillos, peppers and garlic during roasting to ensure all sides are slightly charred.

Remove the baking dish and add chicken stock to de-glaze the pan. If tomatillos, peppers and garlic are stuck to the bottom of the dish, use a wooden spoon to scrap the baking dish.

Once cool to the touch, peel the garlic and discard the skins (you may have to squeeze the soft garlic out of the skin).

For a spicier salsa, leave in all seeds from peppers, for a medium salsa, remove half of the seeds and for a mild salsa remove all seeds from peppers.

Add the tomatillos, garlic and peppers to a food processor as well as the onions, cilantro, lime juice and salt.

Add about 1/2 of the chicken stock from the baking dish and pulse the food processor 3-4 times or until the salsa has come together. You can add more chicken stock based on your own preferences for consistency.

Serve salsa warm, at room temperature or cold.

Notes and Tips

For easier removal of the pepper skins: as soon as you take them out from under the broiler, place them into a resealable plastic bag and leave them alone for 10 minutes, after ten minutes the steam generated from the peppers will make it really easy to remove the skins.

(Next Slide)

Went to the market and picked up some ingredients. We have amazing farmers markets here, so next Sunday, that's where I'll be. Until then....Safeway. :)

I also picked up some pre-made salsa and chips since I was hungry and didn't want to wait.

The pickled jalapenos are for when I try Jimmers' quick recipe.

So, you're looking at tomatillos, serrano peppers, onion and a couple limes.

But I completely spaced out and forgot the cilantro and chicken stock. Oh well, next time.

bfj34EB.jpg

(Next Slide)

I wanted this salsa to be super hot, the way I like it. I don't know much about peppers, so I researched their types and preparations. The original recipe called for one jalapeno and one serrano. They recommended leaving the seeds in if you wanted it hotter - which is cool because it reduces prep time.

I figured, if one jalapeno and one serrano with seeds intact is good, then four serranos with seeds would be better. Right? lol

So, based on this and what I had available, this became the recipe for the final product.

Modifications

You Will Need (Original)

1 jalapeno pepper

1 serrano pepper

2 unpeeled garlic cloves

1/2 cup chicken stock

1/3 cup cilantro

1 tbsp. lime juice

1/2 tsp. salt

You Will Need (Modified)

4 serrano peppers

5 large unpeeled garlic cloves

1/4 cup deglaze water

1/2 cup diced white onion

1/8 cup lime juice (1/2 lime)

1/2 tsp. salt

(Next Slide)

there is also another green salsa that adds a avocado to it, so it makes it great to dip chips into.

kinda like a gooey guacamole but spicier

A saw few recipes like that. Sounds delicious. I'll probably try it at some point.

there is also another green salsa that adds a avocado to it, so it makes it great to dip chips into.

kinda like a gooey guacamole but spicier

A saw few recipes like that. Sounds delicious. I'll probably try it at some point.

http://www.rickbayless.com/category/recipes/salsas-sauces/

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/avocado-tomatillo-salsa/

4 Serranos is a lot of heat. I don't like to cook with anything hotter than serrano or de arbol, unless the people are down for serious heat.

I was eyeing the habaneros when I was at the market, but I wanted to start slow and work my way up the scale.

I've had some Tex-Mex that could probably replace Jasco Paint & Epoxy Stripper. Sometimes heat gets in the way of taste, so it's a balance.