• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

I don't have a pic of it, but a local collector friend of mine showed me his copy of King Kong #1 signed on the bottom of the front cover by Dave Stevens. I'm obviously trying to buy it from him. :wishluck:

I don't have a pic of it, but a local collector friend of mine showed me his copy of King Kong #1 signed on the bottom of the front cover by Dave Stevens. I'm obviously trying to buy it from him. :wishluck:

Pulled these from a flea market last year. Guess he signed a bunch?

kingkong.jpg

Certainly the most unusual Stevens cover, but cool nonetheless

57_1.jpg

My curiosity tracked this down from News-a-rama.com. Not meant to burst any bubbles, but Dave did have a hand in it.

Nrama:One of the big things of the book is the lost Dave Stevens cover – a great artist and a great guy, and someone whose work and characters have received renewed respect since his passing. Tell us a bit about this cover and how it came about -- and possibly share a story about Dave if you can.

Burden: I think it was at Dallas or San Diego Comic-Con. Well, Dave and I and Bob Chapman of Graphitti Designs and John Koukasakis were sitting around in the bar after the show that day. I think we were waiting for someone to come down, and we were all going go out and eat dinner. I was drawing up some art for the next day – to sell at the show, ya know – and Dave’s sitting there, and I drew a real hot space lady, rocketship girl. And I put the works into it. I was going to impress Dave, I guess.

So I show it to him: “Dave, whaddaya think? How ‘bout that?” And he smiled and grabbed it out of my hand, and began tweaking it. Now, I’d spent about 10 or 12 minutes on it, myself. But about a minute later, Dave hands it back to me and – wow – this thing looks great. Un- efffing- believable. I mean I could have worked on that drawing for the rest of the night, and it would have never looked that good. It was like watching Zorro or Bruce Lee. That guy was good. That was a Salieri moment for me, and it was like seeing Wolfgant Amadeus Mozart at work.

To commemorate I purchased this earlier today

57_3.jpg

Where?!?

He bought it on Ebay. 4.99 + 4.00 shipping. Had it on my watch list, but forgot to bid, other wise I would have made him pay at least $15 for it, or owned it myself. Summertime is great for deals, people got stuff going on!

The real question you need to ask, is which venue he is going to resell it at.

57_3.jpg

Where?!?

He bought it on Ebay. 4.99 + 4.00 shipping. Had it on my watch list, but forgot to bid, other wise I would have made him pay at least $15 for it, or owned it myself. Summertime is great for deals, people got stuff going on!

Damn! How did I miss that! (Fortunately, already have one, but still...! Nice!)

57_3.jpg

Where?!?

i certinaly wont sell it for THIS MUCH

I actually owned a copy which i bought when it came out, but I have no idea where it is anymore, so this is a keeper thank you

With the Exception of CJ #117, my 2 other favorite interviews with Dave are

* Back Issue #47 Dave Steven Final Interview (over 40 pages of words, art rare and popular)

* Comic Book Artist #15 (special issue covering the 80s B&W indie explsion including 22 pages w Stevens)

So did any of you pick up the Bettie Page Comics 9.9 that was on comiclink? There were a couple of real steals on the Dave Stevens front in this last auction. Alien Worlds #2 for $33 in 9.8 as well!

Stevens also drew a new Rocketeer cover with Bettie Page for Amaz Heroes Preview # 145 (July, 1988). Don't think it has an interview but it does reprint about 3 other Dave Stevens independent press (thumbs u covers in b/w inside. Might still fit in a slab as it is 1/2 inch thick, comic book sized.

Edited by aardvark88