Page 1 of 10 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#874015 - 08/11/05 05:56 PM Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also!
davidking623 Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Post Falls Idaho Watching wolv...
Just wondering what the general thinking is on this subject?

Thanks

Davidking623
Is buying Silver Bullion Rounds a good Idea?
You may choose only one
Yes
No

Votes accepted starting: 08/11/05 05:54 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#874016 - 08/12/05 07:47 PM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: davidking623]
MTHead Offline

I voted No. If I'm going to spend money on silver it's going to be in coin form. Preferably World coin form. Might I suggest you look at some Italian, Swiss, German, French silver?

#874017 - 10/01/05 06:49 PM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: davidking623]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY
Quote:

Thanks

Davidking623

It will prove to be a much better store of value than CGC-graded comics, methinks.
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

#874018 - 10/03/05 12:00 PM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: delekkerste]
shadroch Online   happy
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Jet Blue Flight 711
I buy junk silver. A couple of times a year I hit some local coin shops and pick up various coins that were due to be melted down. In my neighborhood they tend to be Mexican types. Have a few hundred of them and add about 50 a year. Also buy 5 to 10 Silver Eagles and a few Peace Dollars each year. Guess thats bulk silver.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of its master.

"Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you."

#874019 - 10/05/05 03:02 PM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: shadroch]
jtryka Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Crossroads of America
I'd rather have gold, but I do buy silver, at least a roll of silver eagles every year, plus junk silver every now and then. I also agree with MTHead in that foreign silver is pretty cool. I buy for melt value from a local dealer that comes to the local show each month. Lately I've been fascinated by coins that were once pegged to the dollar, like Panama, Columbia etc. such that the coins have the same silver content as US issues. Though Swiss and French francs are probably some of the nicest designs for silver coins with the standing and walking Liberties.

"I think our coinage is artistically of atrocious hideousness." Theodore Roosevelt, December 27, 1904.

#874020 - 10/06/05 06:48 PM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: davidking623]
davidking623 Offline

Thanks guys for your input! I would appreciate more as I feel very strong about owning bulk silver its a commodity that will balloon overnight or during the day and I am buying it only for that reason.Gold is nice but I believe above ground Silver is more rare because of the uses of silver vs. Gold.Thanks

Davidking623

#874021 - 10/06/05 06:50 PM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: delekkerste]
davidking623 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Davidking623

It will prove to be a much better store of value than CGC-graded comics, methinks.

Yes this is where I will make a real killing on Silver from the Sales of CGC Graded Comics!

Davidking623

#874022 - 11/22/05 01:37 PM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: davidking623]
cybersharque Offline
Learning the Ropes

Loc: New York City
The problem with silver is that its primary "use" was photographic, and that demand has tanked thanks to the digital revolution. There are still some artistic people making silver gelatin prints, and there are even people printing digital photos onto high-end silver papers, but the enormous amounts of silver eaten up by Kodak and the like are kind of at an end.

Next blip in precious metals will be the downturn in platinum thanks to the displacement of catalytic converters by hybrids and alternative-fuel engines. But that will take longer, and platinum will always have enormous industrial uses as a catalyst. But unless there's a real uptick in people wanting to hold silver coinage, the underlying dynamics for silver are downward. I suspect that the only reason silver is up is that people see it as an alternative to gold, which is overheated (though I think silver will turn down sharply long before gold does, because Arab money will continue to salt bucks away in gold for the foreseeable future).

#874023 - 11/24/05 03:00 AM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: cybersharque]
davidking623 Offline

Hello and interesting insight! But to be fair so everyone can know the true facts about the use of Silver you should probably start here Silver uses!

And since I am talking about it why is it the only one that has a users assciation why doesnt Gold or platinum or pladdium or Copper have one its because the users of this Metal is making it more Rare above ground than Gold! Heck even the people that want to keep this stuff at record low prices tell us its rare! For your pleasure of reading it. Silver Eft making the Silver users assciation take notice!

At any rate if Silver goes down I will only be smiling as my dollar buys more Silver!

Davidking623

#874024 - 11/30/05 08:28 AM Re: Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also! [Re: cybersharque]
EZ_E Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Sin City
Quote:

The problem with silver is that its primary "use" was photographic, and that demand has tanked thanks to the digital revolution. There are still some artistic people making silver gelatin prints, and there are even people printing digital photos onto high-end silver papers, but the enormous amounts of silver eaten up by Kodak and the like are kind of at an end.

Next blip in precious metals will be the downturn in platinum thanks to the displacement of catalytic converters by hybrids and alternative-fuel engines. But that will take longer, and platinum will always have enormous industrial uses as a catalyst. But unless there's a real uptick in people wanting to hold silver coinage, the underlying dynamics for silver are downward. I suspect that the only reason silver is up is that people see it as an alternative to gold, which is overheated (though I think silver will turn down sharply long before gold does, because Arab money will continue to salt bucks away in gold for the foreseeable future).

Very intelligent post which will probably hold true.

Also worth mentioning is that many Radiology departments are going filmless due to digital radiography. This alone is a huge section of the silver market.

There is a silver recovery system on chemical processors which recover much of the silver on x-rays which is washed away, which proves the amount of silver used is enormous.

Page 1 of 10 12345>Last »

Moderator:  dena, ngcmod, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH - GIANT 44x20 inch prints of 1896 $1 & $5 Silver Certificates! 1901 $10 Biso
by Paul S
Today at 11:54 AM
top pop coins for sale all reasonable offers accepted
by wmfielding
Today at 10:15 AM
Toned Coins - Morgan Dollar and Washington Quarter
by Eric Hazen
Today at 01:16 AM
1943-S 50C Liberty Half Dollar MS67 Star NGC POP 1 NONE BETTER
by Paul Kiraly 3
Yesterday at 11:33 AM
Comics Marketplace
pmWolf Weekend sale...slabs and misc. stuff...
by pmWolf
8 minutes 37 seconds ago
AndyBoBo's Labor Day Sale!
by AndyBoBo
31 minutes 56 seconds ago
Dark Knight Returns #2 9.6!
by jchuchu
Today at 12:54 PM
X-Men 136 9.2!! and X-Men 130 7.5!! ALL WHITE PAGES
by jchuchu
Today at 12:53 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 17 queries. Zlib compression enabled.