• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM Annual #1 Canadian Edition Club & Discussion Thread

73 posts in this topic

I recently received back from CGC my first copy of Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1, Canadian Edition. Annual #1 is one of my favorite books, and I like the added challenge of collecting the blank back and interior cover variants that were distributed in Canada. I am creating this thread as a place to document anything and everything about these variants. I am not sure how interested others on these boards might be, but it will at least serve as a place for me to have some fun! :headbang:

Please, feel free to share anything about the Canadian variant that you like. If you own one, please share a pic! If you have information regarding any copies that are currently on the market, info on the total supply, questions, etc., please post those too! :grin:

I will begin by sharing pics of my own copies and then briefly discussing scarcity and value.

My first copy was quite rough, and I was just happy when it came back with a blue label!

hQAbsQA.jpg

UqodUqS.jpg

I purchased it raw in an EBay auction back in April, and just got it back from CGC last week.

To my knowledge, there are no ASM Annual #1 Canadian Editions currently for sale on the market on EBay, CLink, ComicConnect, HA, Pedigree, Quality, Dave & Adam's, etc. (let me know if you know otherwise!)

The Canadian Edition is quite rare compared to its standard edition counterpart. Currently the CGC census shows the following for the Canadian Edition:

16 Universal

4 Signature Series

3 Restored

23 Total

Compare that to the numbers for the standard, non-variant edition:

614 Universal

74 Signature Series

44 Restored

8 Qualified

740 Total

With 23 total copies on the census compared to 740 for the standard edition, the Canadian Edition is currently at a 1:32 ratio.

23 total copies puts it in the same league as books such as the Amazing Spider-Man 35 cent variants, which are quite valuable although the standard issues are not keys and not very valuable themselves. Annual #1 differs in the sense that the standard version is a valuable key issue.

What is demand like for this book? Why is it so tough in high grade? And most importantly, do any of you know where I can find more? :insane:

As with any foreign edition, I think it's nice to have in addition to the original edition, rather than in lieu of. Since it's a key, I'd price this out the same as you would a pence copy. For any other Canadian Marvel annual, I'd be more inclined to go at half value.

As with any foreign edition, I think it's nice to have in addition to the original edition, rather than in lieu of. Since it's a key, I'd price this out the same as you would a pence copy. For any other Canadian Marvel annual, I'd be more inclined to go at half value.

Your take is interesting and a little surprising. Over the last 3 years or so I have observed sales of these Canadian Editions although very few since they come to market so rarely, and have found that they tend to command a premium over the standard edition, unlike pence copies.

I think that these variants are viewed much differently by most collectors. Apart from the ads being removed from the back cover and interior cover, there is no difference. The pricing is the same and the blank cover provides a very cool and unique look. Some of the collectors I have spoken to about these variants consider them to be very desirable, where many collectors shy away from pence copies.

This thread provides some possible explanation as to the reason for the removal of the ads.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6856539&fpart=1

My second copy is a raw copy that I just picked up this last week (also an EBay auction). Looks a bit nicer than the first copy, and I plan on having it slabbed (and maybe signed by Stan?)

Rg5w5Gc.jpg

Z0DXmuL.jpg

Not a big fan of sigs on cover, but the back cover on this one would make a great place for a huge Stan sig!

My second copy is a raw copy that I just picked up this last week (also an EBay auction). Looks a bit nicer than the first copy, and I plan on having it slabbed (and maybe signed by Stan?)

Rg5w5Gc.jpg

Z0DXmuL.jpg

Not a big fan of sigs on cover, but the back cover on this one would make a great place for a huge Stan sig!

Agreed,would look much,much nicer on the back!

Id price it the same...and higher in high grade with that tough white back cover.All the annuals I mean.

Do you think copper Canadian newstand variants should be half as well ???

I wouldnt compare the annuals to pence at all.

Rg5w5Gc.jpg

Z0DXmuL.jpg

I was actually thinking the same thing! I wonder if I could get one of his awful little sketches too where he draws a terrible Spider-Man head by his name.

Id price it the same...and higher in high grade with that tough white back cover.All the annuals I mean.

Do you think copper Canadian newstand variants should be half as well ???

I wouldnt compare the annuals to pence at all.

I sold my 6.0 copy for above GPA in late 2013 at a local show with no resistance, but it looks now like that was too low.

Id pay a bit of a premium for the Canadian. 10-20%

These comments are more in line with what I have observed over the last few years. Canadian Edition commanding a slight premium.

Thanks for sharing!

That's some pretty cool data Jared!

I have one raw that I will post.

Awesome Jeff! Can't wait to see the pics! (thumbs u

Found this one so far lol.

Will look for the ASM again.

bfqo92.jpg

vhaxiq.jpg

Ooooh,i have not looked at mine in ages..better go check...I wonder if there is a Canadian Tales of Asgard...or Strange Tales annual 2?