• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charlton Comics Group Appreciation and Information Thread
7 7

444 posts in this topic

charlton-bullseye-logo_zpsep6ztcjk.png

I am not a Charlton expert. I don't know a lot about their history (although I bet it is probably interesting), or even have a lot of their books.

When I was a kid, every used book store invariably had a small pile of comics and they were almost always beat up Charltons.

Every antique shop and thrift shop had a small stack of comics sitting on an old table and there were always Charltons in the pile.

Almost every collection I buy has at least 1 or 2 Charlton. No matter how tattered and torn they are by the time I get to them, they somehow make me smile.

For the most part, Charlton comics are pretty terrible. However I have a growing fondness for the enduring #makecomics passion that they must have had in order to persevere with such obvious drek.

In a day and age when every collector I know is looking almost exclusively for big "keys", I am always thrilled to get Charlton comics for a quarter.

Every one I buy gets a new bag and board and a new home in a special box in my collection marked "Other".

Maybe someday there will be a box marked "Charlton".

This thread will be dedicated to sharing your Charlton comics, stories, expertise and history.

Please participate with a spirit of brotherhood and mutual respect.

Also, here at the top of the thread I would like to compile a list of famous Charlton alumni. Please mention any that you know in the thread (especially if you can post example of their work) and I will edit this list.

Jim Aparo

Pat Boyette

John Byrne

Steve Ditko

Richard Giordano

Joe Staton

Tom Sutton

Edited by com1cbook

Blue Beetle #1 (1967) 1st Appearance of the Question!

Anyone know why this book is kind of hot right now? I bought this copy raw a few years ago for around $40. Now, I want a reader copy, and prices are pushing $100 for VG copies.

(shrug) That's a good question.