• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

I like that NO ONE points out how some retailers call in FALSE damages and get HTF variants over and over again each week.

That happens...

But I like that NO ONE points out how some retailers order HTF variants & they arrive damaged & Diamond Regrets that they are out of stock...

I've never heard that happen before. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - I just have never heard anyone say this happens.

You've hear unscrupulous retailers report fake damages to receive lucrative product & believe it. ( it is true )

Yet do not necessarily believe that Diamond cannot fill all damage reports?!

( also quite true )

That is just it, the 1:10 ratio is not true and never was. 1:10 ratio is to buy them, not print them. The publisher is not going to pulp unsold copies just to keep the ratio, they are going to sell them off as best they can. In this case it looks like they are selling them to stores like 5 Below. A good idea if you ask me.

One LCS near me can often get extra copies a week or two after initial release: "I am in good with the DC rep" is what he told me when I asked how this was possible. The Kubert variant for Batman 40 is one example, three more showed up at his store about 2-3 weeks after initial release.

This is why I don't pay much more for a variant than the regular cover. I think most people have caught on to this recently. The regular Ms. Marvel #1 outsells the McKelvie variant and it's supposed to be a 10:1 or 25:1, I can't remember which but the regular cover brings a premium and doesn't even show the title character's face.

I like variant covers but I don't like paying extra for them. The only time I feel comfortable with the estimates are when the creators, like Tim from Enormous, or the shop owner, like Larry with the Phantom program, state a number of copies produced.

Right, because they actually know the number they're printing, and at least a minor part of the selling point is the AMOUNT that is printed.

As I've stated here before, with the comic company, there is no law or guideline or moral obligation to print x amount of a 1:10.

It is an incentive for the Direct Market to up their orders.

They can't print as many of them as they want to use for whatever they choose, as long as the cover those who meet the incentive.

Is your last sentence what you mean it to be? I get the idea that they CAN print as many as they want...am I wrong here?

Yes, they have nothing to dictate the amount they can print.

I like that NO ONE points out how some retailers call in FALSE damages and get HTF variants over and over again each week.

That happens...

But I like that NO ONE points out how some retailers order HTF variants & they arrive damaged & Diamond Regrets that they are out of stock...

I've never heard that happen before. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - I just have never heard anyone say this happens.

It happens weekly.

Their system isn't as corrupted as Capital's was toward the end, but ti's still pretty bad. I get damages, shortages, parts of other stores shipments, almost every single week.

Diamond doesn't even bother to have most stores return wrongly shipped product - they just send out replacement items - if they have them - really it's just a mess.

Really, it's been a little bit better here lately, as I called and complained to higher ups and went through my long list of Diamond screw ups just from the last 8 months, and suddenly it got a little bit better. I know some accounts they have it still every single week though.

Should be easy for me to find one then (or two!) :P

With those kind of extreme high grade census numbers, its definitely a book you can be patient with.

-J.

Yeah patiently wait and pay more later. This book I'm glad I picked up last year in NM.

With those kind of extreme high grade census numbers, its definitely a book you can be patient with.

-J.

Yeah patiently wait and pay more later. This book I'm glad I picked up last year in NM.

These are already looking like speculative/ hype prices based on Marvel's recently announced decision to call the character "Wolverine" for a while in a new title.

Additionally, the overabundance of nearly 1000 9.8 slabs on the census (and counting) will always keep this book's price in check.

-J.

-J.

These are already looking like speculative/ hype prices based on Marvel's recently announced decision to call the character "Wolverine" for a while in a new title.

Additionally, the overabundance of nearly 1000 9.8 slabs on the census (and counting) will always keep this book's price in check.

-J.

Maybe but all I do know is its hitting in NM raw double what I paid last year was all I was saying.

-J.

-J.

Maybe but all I do know is its hitting in NM raw double what I paid last year was all I was saying.

(thumbs u

-J.

Almost like web sites claiming a book is hot, then to top it off put a obscene price on their copy for sale with no sales data to back it.

You mad bro?

My website turned 2 years ago today. Thank you, I appreciate the praise.

-J.

-J.

Yah, I used to think the same thing with New Mutants #98 and look how that turned out. :frustrated: I say if you can buy NYX 3 do it now.

-J.

-J.

Yah, I used to think the same thing with New Mutants #98 and look how that turned out. :frustrated: I say if you can buy NYX 3 do it now.

The characters are not in the same league at all, and how have things really turned out for NM 98?

NM 98, a Copper book, is 13 years older than NYX 3, with (currently) 1966, 9.8+ copies on the census, representing 26% of total copies.

NYX 3 is a modern book, released in the CGC slabbing era, that already has 925, 9.8+ copies on the census, representing 48% of total copies. Those numbers exceed even The Walking Dead 1 (in fact, a far more appropriate potential comparison, but still, not really), which itself has "only" 809, 9.8+ copies (138 less than NYX 3) on the census representing 36% of total copies.

As popular as Deadpool is, with multiple hit titles, variants, crossovers, movie appearances, etc, NM 98 still cannot reach $750 consistently in a 9.8. NM 98's massive census numbers in a 9.8 also keep its price level in check.

X-23, as a female derivation of an existing character will have an even greater task maintaining these speculative price levels as even more 9.8 copies of the book continue to hit the census, let alone if the newly launched title and attempt at character re-branding is anything less than a blockbuster when it is released, and even more so when the actual Wolverine is inevitably resurrected.

In other words, patience with that book is a no-brainer.

-J.

-J.

-J.

The characters are not in the same league at all, and how have things really turned out for NM 98?

NM 98, a Copper book, is 13 years older than NYX 3, with (currently) 1966, 9.8+ copies on the census, representing 26% of total copies.

NYX 3 is a modern book, released in the CGC slabbing era, that already has 925, 9.8+ copies on the census, representing 48% of total copies. Those numbers exceed even The Walking Dead 1 (in fact, a far more appropriate potential comparison, but still, not really), which itself has "only" 809, 9.8+ copies (138 less than NYX 3) on the census representing 36% of total copies.

As popular as Deadpool is, with multiple hit titles, variants, crossovers, movie appearances, etc, NM 98 still cannot reach $750 consistently in a 9.8. NM 98's massive census numbers in a 9.8 also keep its price level in check.

X-23, as a female derivation of an existing character will have an even greater task maintaining these speculative price levels as even more 9.8 copies of the book continue to hit the census, let alone if the newly launched title and attempt at character re-branding is anything less than a blockbuster when it is released, and even more so when the actual Wolverine is inevitably resurrected.

-J.

It's already high, the real time to have bought the book would have been at cover price when it came out. Think about it though,it's the only really significant Marvel character to have come out in the modern era.

-J.

-J.

X-23, as a female derivation of an existing character will have an even greater task maintaining these speculative price levels as even more 9.8 copies of the book continue to hit the census, let alone if the newly launched title and attempt at characteyyr re-branding is anything less than a blockbuster when it is released, and even more so when the actual Wolverine is inevitably resurrected.

-J.

It's already high, the real time to have bought the book would have been at cover price when it came out. Think about it though,it's the only really significant Marvel character to have come out in the modern era.

Miles Morales, "Spider-Gwen", and Lady-Thor fans will beg to differ. lol

Personally I put all those characters in the same category, as not-original creations that were just spun off from previously existing characters and/or concepts for the "diversity" bandwagon.

X-23 pre-dates that "movement", and as such was (at least up until now) the most interesting of the group.

Unfortunately now Marvel seems to be shoe-horning her in there with the others, by just re-naming her "Wolverine". Instead of letting her be her own character and chart her own course, Marvel evidently believes the only way she can sell books is (as with the other characters mentioned) in the shadow and footsteps of the brand name recognition of a far more famous (and original) version of the same character.

-J.

Sorry for being late to the BA12 9.8 sales discussion, but I sold at auction my 9.8 on the bay and ended on Fathers Day at $1,825.00 and only paid $20.00 in fees!

Harley is still on fire...

R_H

How did you manage to only pay $20 in fees?

Sorry for being late to the BA12 9.8 sales discussion, but I sold at auction my 9.8 on the bay and ended on Fathers Day at $1,825.00 and only paid $20.00 in fees!

R_H

:popcorn:

R_H

I'm guessing it was an ebay promo that capped the FVF fees for a four-day window. I got the same promo, but didn't have time to get anything really pricey listed. Well done!