• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

I've got one more question for everyone. Does anyone happen to have a picture that shows a 1/4 figure next to a 1/6? I've seen illustrations that show the height differences, but I'm yet to see two 4th and 6th scale figures next to one another.

Unfortunately, my local shop doesn't have many statues, and certainly no 1/4. I'm moving soon, and I plan to start a (small) collection. But without seeing any comparisons, I'm sort of stuck guessing as to which I might like more.

If all you've ever experienced is 1/6, 1/4 will come as quite a shock to you the first time you see one. The boxes alone will shock you. What you'll enjoy probably comes down to how much space you have, but generally speaking once collectors start with 1/4, they don't look back. But again, a 1/4 collection requires a huge space commitment, and since they can be upwards of 2 feet tall and 25-50lbs, you need proper shelving too.

Ordered!

FB_IMG_1435853529838_zpsbo6i94ne.jpg

They took the stained glass out of the base? That really made the piece pop.

I like the sculpt, but I don't like that they take so many liberties with the costumes. Sideshow does this from time to time too, and it's annoying; why can't they just stick with the comics? That's one thing Bowen did really well. I really want a DD statue, but I don't want to pay $1000+ for something that isn't definitively "classic".

Costume by Nike. :D

He looks emaciated in this one. What company is putting out this statue?

XM studios.

I made this chart a while back:

sizechart_zpsc94ea1a9.jpg

And I have this pic with a 1/6 Moon Knight next to a 1/4 Colossus and Deadpool:

photo14_zps0558472e.jpg

:o

Wow. That's night and day. I had seen the comparison chart, but seeing an actual photo blows me away. The 1/4 are waaaay bigger.

My gut has always leaned toward the 1/4 scale, even though there seem to be fewer offerings, they cost more, and they take up more space. But man oh man, those must look frickin' amazing in person.

Wow. That's night and day. I had seen the comparison chart, but seeing an actual photo blows me away. The 1/4 are waaaay bigger.

My gut has always leaned toward the 1/4 scale, even though there seem to be fewer offerings, they cost more, and they take up more space. But man oh man, those must look frickin' amazing in person.

The above is a bad picture, but even the best photos I've seen of pieces I have from people with professional level cameras and picture-taking ability don't capture what I see in front of me. You'll hear "this looks way better in person" over and over, but it's absolutely true.

I've been buying statues since around 2002, and had tons of 1/6 scale, and I would recommend 1/4 without question. Less is more with these things. As far as there being fewer offerings, this is changing. 1/4 is basically an industry standard at this point, and more are always coming. That's part of the fun of the hobby for me; anticipating what's next, especially this time of year, since SDCC always brings with it new reveals.

Any of you collect the Hot Toys movie figures? I was big into Bowen Statues back in the day, recently got into these statue/figures and I'm in love. I've got a growing collection of Cap and Ironman. lol

I started collecting about 2 months ago and have 13 Hot Toys now. Still waiting for my 1st sideshow pice to come in, DR Doom

I started right around when you did, after I saw the AV2 Cap they are releasing...they one got me hooked. I've got nine Hot Toys now and with the release of the exclusive "Tank" armor, I might make it ten. lol

I really want to pick up the Mark 5 "suitcase" armor but I'm afraid they might do a diecast version and I'd much prefer that. I don't know what to do.

Its addictive. I was set on getting Tank then realized I have Heartbreaker and 5 other Iron Man armors so I think im going to pass.

I also hate the 2 mini Iron Man figures that come with it, looks cool in pictures but im not so sure it would look great in your cabinet.

Yeah, I'm a bit hesitant too...if I did get Tank I'd probably not display it with the mini figs. They just look a bit odd to me. I'm still on the fence. And I do have Heartbreaker as well.

The above is a bad picture, but even the best photos I've seen of pieces I have from people with professional level cameras and picture-taking ability don't capture what I see in front of me. You'll hear "this looks way better in person" over and over, but it's absolutely true.

I've been buying statues since around 2002, and had tons of 1/6 scale, and I would recommend 1/4 without question. Less is more with these things. As far as there being fewer offerings, this is changing. 1/4 is basically an industry standard at this point, and more are always coming. That's part of the fun of the hobby for me; anticipating what's next, especially this time of year, since SDCC always brings with it new reveals.

Thanks for the info and the pics. I'm super excited to dive in, and am looking forward to reveals at SDCC.

I'm currently debating the Hot Toys Fett vs. the Premium Format Fett. Both look great. I like the idea of being able to post the HT version, but I'm worried that A) I won't be able to get it just right or B) it'll look like a toy with articulation points.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll have my first by Christmas.

Thanks for the info and the pics. I'm super excited to dive in, and am looking forward to reveals at SDCC.

I'm currently debating the Hot Toys Fett vs. the Premium Format Fett. Both look great. I like the idea of being able to post the HT version, but I'm worried that A) I won't be able to get it just right or B) it'll look like a toy with articulation points.

It's interesting you say this. I am NOT a toy guy but I do have several HTs. I really don't mind the articulation points in this case. Even the Hulk which has brutal articulation has grown on me. I've come to a point where I look at comics as a throwback hobby that remind me of being a kid so why not... If you're the kind of person that wants a sophisticated hobby, staues are probably your thing. I'm only 42 so there's time for me to mature yet.

or just get both and display them side by side. Hot Toys make the most amazing figures. I've never thought any of mine have looked like toys, the detail is insane

or just get both and display them side by side. Hot Toys make the most amazing figures. I've never thought any of mine have looked like toys, the detail is insane

I wish I had that kind of money, but paying $1000 for a statue of the same character doesn't make sense for me.

I ended up pre-ordering the PF version.

So I just found out that the Tombo glass doors for the BESTA cabinets from IKEA has been discontinued. This certainly throws a wrench into my plans to set up a display for my SS PF's and XM statues. Anybody got any good recommendations for alternatives?

So I just found out that the Tombo glass doors for the BESTA cabinets from IKEA has been discontinued. This certainly throws a wrench into my plans to set up a display for my SS PF's and XM statues. Anybody got any good recommendations for alternatives?

Might look into the BILLY IKEA bookshelves. They also have a glass door option. If my memory serves, they are 10" deep. Might not be deep enough for some PFs though.

+1

The bezel on the new doors are just too wide. I'm considering getting some custom solid panels done. Ikea was suppose to make a full length one (it was pictured in the instruction manual) but they never came out.

Might look into the BILLY IKEA bookshelves. They also have a glass door option. If my memory serves, they are 10" deep. Might not be deep enough for some PFs though.

I just checked out the Billy bookshelves on the site. The shelves look nice but they don't have any glass doors similar to the Tombo.

+1

The bezel on the new doors are just too wide. I'm considering getting some custom solid panels done. Ikea was suppose to make a full length one (it was pictured in the instruction manual) but they never came out.

Yup agreed, all their other door options just don't help with displaying statues. I thought the Tombo's were selling well. I wonder why they discontinued it.

+1

Yup agreed, all their other door options just don't help with displaying statues. I thought the Tombo's were selling well. I wonder why they discontinued it.

Apparently ikea revises the Besta system every April. I believe this year they discontinued the double besta.

Can't wait for preview night tomorrow :banana:

preview_TheJokerTDKPF.jpg

preview_BatmanTDKPF.jpg

preview_RedSonjaSwordPF.jpg

preview_BobaFettMcquarrie.jpg

1125x682_previewbanner_LokiPF.jpg

preview_SpiderManSymbiote.jpg

preview_HeManStatue.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=192624&d=1435248106

Here's a teaser. Can't wait for the full reveal:

red.jpg