• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

I didn't disagree with him, , I just said he did it in the wrong place. Politely. And then I told him to keep on truck in'

I did call him tiger, which is somewhat dismissive, and probably qualifies as seaphinctering in some cultures.

And he could have gone about it a 100 different ways and he went with dooshbag.

Your statement was no different than hundreds of other threads.

Actually it was as all the other threads have statments that say they won't deal with those on ignore. You explained your reasoning and Joey decided to publcy act like a two year old. He can pound sand.

:facepalm: I am talking about CC. I have no problem with how Joey Gunz handled himself in my thread.

Whatever.

Never liked you anways.

What's with the spelling today: M-80 explode near your head last night?

And don't antagonize the seansphincter before feeding time. :sumo:

I am on my phone with fat fingers.

Bite me.

Also, stick your bell in your ear.

:grin:

I suggest a guideline be stated that

In sales threads allowing :takeit: pending scans.

Said items to be imaged be placed on hold,

and the inquiring party be given right of first refusal for a period defined by the seller.

You're welcome.

Edited by MediumLover

The "I'll take it, no conditions" after someone posted an "I'll take it pending scans" is a loser move.

If the seller says "first unconditional :takeit: " it will probably go to the second guy. But if I were the seller, I'd consider giving the first guy right of first refusal.

This playing a trump card of "unconditional :takeit: " is an example of the eBay mentality this place has taken on lately.

BS. Unconditional :takeit is a purchase. "Takeit" pending scans means nothing, it's another

negative situation created by sellers listing books without scans.

Seller lists book without scan.

"Potential buyer" posts takeit pending scans.

"Buyer" posts unconditional takeit.

I can understand that viewpoint, but let me ask you a question. Say you are at a convention, and a dealer has a raw book on his wall that looks interesting. You ask to take a look, and he hands it to you. You say, "Can we take it out of the bag and inspect it?" and someone comes up behind you and says, "I'll buy it without even looking!"

So, (1) is this acceptable behavior or a jerk move? And (2) should the dealer take it away from you and sell it to the new guy?

1) I don't think it's acceptable behavior.

2)The dealer can do whatever they want.

What the dealer does next is the most important piece of the puzzle.

The things that happened prior to this decision could not be avoided in the example you present.

Well, "2" is obvious, the question would be whether that is the acceptable thing for the dealer to do. It appeared from your viewpoint on the "pending scans" situation that you thought the second poster with the unconditional takeit was perfectly acceptable, but basically the same thing in person is not?

No, my answers differ because your analogy fails.

The two examples are not basically the same.

In most sales threads rules for claiming a book are usually in the first post.

Some sellers state a :takeit: in thread or pm wins the book, trumping ongoing negotiations.

Books may be posted without scans, sellers states . :takeit: pending scan is acceptable, but fail to clarify if that book is on "hold" pending scan. Because claiming a book pending a scan

is negotiating, a unconditional :takeit: wins the book.

The situation in the thread can be avoided if the seller has clear rules for claiming books,

including books without scans.

The convention situation is completely different.

A more appropriate analogy is :

Say you are at a convention, and a dealer has a raw book on his wall that looks interesting. You ask to take a look, and he hands it to you. You say, "Can we take it out of the bag and inspect it?" For some reason, the dealer does not reply, maybe he is completing a separate transaction. and someone comes up behind you and says, "I'll buy it without even looking!"

You were first in line, with a conditional offer, but book is still on the wall and dealer made no commitment to you.

The "I'll take it, no conditions" after someone posted an "I'll take it pending scans" is a loser move.

If the seller says "first unconditional :takeit: " it will probably go to the second guy. But if I were the seller, I'd consider giving the first guy right of first refusal.

This playing a trump card of "unconditional :takeit: " is an example of the eBay mentality this place has taken on lately.

BS. Unconditional :takeit is a purchase. "Takeit" pending scans means nothing, it's another

I can understand that viewpoint, but let me ask you a question. Say you are at a convention, and a dealer has a raw book on his wall that looks interesting. You ask to take a look, and he hands it to you. You say, "Can we take it out of the bag and inspect it?" and someone comes up behind you and says, "I'll buy it without even looking!"

So, (1) is this acceptable behavior or a jerk move? And (2) should the dealer take it away from you and sell it to the new guy?

The things that happened prior to this decision could not be avoided in the example you present.

Well, "2" is obvious, the question would be whether that is the acceptable thing for the dealer to do. It appeared from your viewpoint on the "pending scans" situation that you thought the second poster with the unconditional takeit was perfectly acceptable, but basically the same thing in person is not?

Some sellers state a :takeit: in thread or pm wins the book, trumping ongoing negotiations.

Books may be posted without scans, sellers states . :takeit: pending scan is acceptable, but fail to clarify if that book is on "hold" pending scan. Because claiming a book pending a scan

The situation in the thread can be avoided if the seller has clear rules for claiming books,

Say you are at a convention, and a dealer has a raw book on his wall that looks interesting. You ask to take a look, and he hands it to you. You say, "Can we take it out of the bag and inspect it?" For some reason, the dealer does not reply, maybe he is completing a separate transaction. and someone comes up behind you and says, "I'll buy it without even looking!"

You were first in line, with a conditional offer, but book is still on the wall and dealer made no commitment to you.

You've described a pretty solid dickmove right there. Anyone willing to dooshswoop in on something as irrelevant as a comic book like that deserves the painful and complete solitude his actions and lack of social aptitude will undoubtedly rain down upon him.

The only thing that would make it worse would be if the first guy in line were to say "Hey, I was asking to see that one." and the response given to him was "You were first in line, with a conditional offer, but book is still on the wall and dealer made no commitment to you." lol

I didn't disagree with him, , I just said he did it in the wrong place. Politely. And then I told him to keep on truck in'

Your humorous comment was nothing offensive. With all the due respect Brock should learn to be less impulsive. In my reply I stated that I understood his feelings, and I seem to get everyone agrees on the topic at hand – i.e. compile better your sales thread and avoid "back and forth" corrections when possible.

Take his colorful names as fireworks, which is what bad knee-jerk reactions should be valued at. :)

You've described a pretty solid dickmove right there. Anyone willing to dooshswoop in on something as irrelevant as a comic book like that deserves the painful and complete solitude his actions and lack of social aptitude will undoubtedly rain down upon him.

The only thing that would make it worse would be if the first guy in line were to say "Hey, I was asking to see that one." and the response given to him was "You were first in line, with a conditional offer, but book is still on the wall and dealer made no commitment to you." lol

I have seen dealers sell to the dooshswooper.

Not often, but it happens.

You've described a pretty solid dickmove right there.

I think most of us would agree with that. However, it was the closest I could get to the online equivalent without the two potential buyers waving flags of "I'll take that book over there if you let me look inside and everything looks great and I decide I am getting a hell of a deal" and the second with "I'll take that same book, as is"

No good reason to always quote "walls of text"… :baiting:

;)

That isn't walls of text. The rest of the posts put his post into the proper context.

Well, obviously we disagree, I think the situations are very much alike - in both cases, there is a person who has expressed an interest in purchasing, and a person who is attempting to purchase away from them. If anything, the online situation the person has expressed MORE intent to purchase than the convention guy, as he has said :takeit: where the convention guy has just asked to look at the book.

there are certainly more sales threads out there that deserve all this attention

Sellers who put the minimal amount of time and effort into their rules yet people just look away

+ 1

It takes time to post scans or pictures and descriptions, but you have less problems when you do. There would be no "pending scans" if the scans were posted.

We have more and more people who fail to do either and it's disturbing. People want to make sales, but put the minimal amount of effort into it.

I don't even look at those threads when I'm shopping, nor do I like "normal rules" ...what's normal?

Yeah, I get what you are saying, and agree, to a degree. But I also know from experience how much work it is to scan a bunch of books that are going up for sale for under $5 each, so I understand why someone might not want to do so, particularly given what sort of thing tends to sell well around here (not non-key lower grade DCs).

I usually go ahead and do so, because there are people who will just skip by if there aren't scans, and because I intend to try and sell on eBay if they don't sell here, where I HAVE to have scans, but I've certainly considered doing as rube has been doing with these books.

That isn't walls of text. The rest of the posts put his post into the proper context.

I see what you mean, but it wasn’t entirely necessary there, to understand the reply.

If everyone quoted like that, threads would become pretty much unreadable. :)

I see what you mean, but it wasn’t entirely necessary there, to understand the reply.

If everyone quoted like that, threads would become pretty much unreadable. :)

To recap:

ntu21.jpg

I think all sales threads MUST have scans/pictures. We have had too many issues with threads without scans/pictures. I've got no dog in this, but sellers are just opening themselves up to issues.

The current rules require a picture and / or an accurate description including the grade of the book.

I would say that it clearly helps the seller to include pictures of the books.

After seeing the rigorous enforcement of existing rules in action I would hate to see a rule added requiring the inclusion of pictures.

In the case of low priced books (less than $2) do you really need a scan if the seller has given a rough grade?

In the case of large threads with over 100 books, do we really need to have them deleted because the seller took a few days to add pictures?

In the case of low priced books (less than $2) do you really need a scan if the seller has given a rough grade?

its not time worthy to add a scan

In the case of large threads with over 100 books, do we really need to have them deleted because the seller took a few days to add pictures?

quit being lazy, instead of adding 100 memes scan in the books

I think all sales threads MUST have scans/pictures. We have had too many issues with threads without scans/pictures. I've got no dog in this, but sellers are just opening themselves up to issues.

For less expensive books, group pictures are fine. The question is, what is "less expensive" for me, I scan pretty much anything, but I can see group pictures for books sold in lots that average less than $2.00 each.

I also don't mind a picture instead of a scan, as long as they are not blurry. Too many cell phone pictures are blurry, but they CAN be great if you just take the 10 seconds after to hold the camera (phone) still while the phone updates..

Why not take a few days to get your sales thread in order BEFORE starting the sales thread? (shrug)

A lot of time and money went into buying / grading, etc.

Scanning, uploading, and posting 3,000 images will take more time.

Why not sell a few books while scanning the rest of them?

Also, we learn as we go.

If I put up all of those scans only to have my thread deleted twice I think I would have lost it.

Now I only have to put the scans up once.

If I had the opportunity to go back and do it over again perhaps I would have done it differently but in the last few weeks I learned some lessons and made some customers happy. So in the end it seems things will work out OK.

Send a PM to yourself to put together the sales thread.

Get everything ready including scans, descriptions, prices, terms, etc. Then when you're ready: copy and paste then post it. That way if something goes wrong and the thread is deleted, you still have all of your work saved and can fix what the issue was instead of starting from scratch. :idea: