• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

It sold fast because it's an old label and less than 5% more than the last recorded 9.0 sale nearly a year and half ago.

The book was under-priced. Seller could have gotten $225k easy and still left some meat on the bone for the buyer. My 2 cents.

-J.

I agree seems low for what AF15 has done lately. Keep in mind CGC has been quite strict with there grading policy. It can be quite risky for a regrade.

It sold fast because it's an old label and less than 5% more than the last recorded 9.0 sale nearly a year and half ago.

The book was under-priced. Seller could have gotten $225k easy and still left some meat on the bone for the buyer. My 2 cents.

-J.

I agree seems low for what AF15 has done lately. Keep in mind CGC has been quite strict with there grading policy. It can be quite risky for a regrade.

I agree, I think the book could've sold for more. Being an old label definitely. Might get a 9.2 after a press, but not guaranteed. If buyer does get it CPR, the least it would come back as would be the same grade. I don't think it can go any lower. So worth the risk because of the under price paid? if the book grades a 9.2, probably looking at around $300k+

-J.

I agree, I think the book could've sold for more. Being an old label definitely. Might get a 9.2 after a press, but not guaranteed. If buyer does get it CPR, the least it would come back as would be the same grade. I don't think it can go any lower. So worth the risk because of the under price paid? if the book grades a 9.2, probably looking at around $300k+

Roll em' dice. :insane: Maybe a 25% down grade 25% upgrade...50% same. Maybe we will find out sooner or later. Since the buyer has bought at a reasonable price, leave it be. A book at this magnitude....CGC will scrutinize every aspect of it.

Book sold already for $200k!! That was quick! So which one of you guys picked it up?

:hi:

:kidaround:

:whistle:

Edited by cloudofwit

Book sold already for $200k!! That was quick! So which one of you guys picked it up?

:hi:

:kidaround:

:whistle:

(worship)

-J.

Congrats!! :applause:

:sumo: Okay, I employed the kid-around emoticon. I know y'all know I was joking. Remember, I'm a member of the AF #15 Club...at the bargain basement level--I have a CGC 0.5. (Many moons ago, when I was in my 20s, I had a British copy, probably a 1.0, but sold that one in 1992. :cry:).

Meantime, I'm doing some detective work on that coverless copy currently on eBay and will issue forth a crazy, true story pretty soon.

Edited by cloudofwit

-J.

I don't think that book would come back a 9.0 again. I hate to say it. There's too much going on with the spine and ticks here and there. upper and lower hits on the left too. I would leave it as is.

Here's the rather intriguing back story on that coverless copy of AF #15 on eBay...

The guy bought it at a small country store in Alamo, Tennessee, in 1963 or 1964--when he was only 9 years old. The book was coverless and doodled up when he bought it--for a nickel! He's had it for the last 51 years. :whatthe:

The store's owner sold new comics, but also sold used comics--all for a nickel. The seller knows one of the guys whose name is in the book--a previous owner, one Ronnie Nolen who lived in the same town and was a few years his senior. Additionally, a Billy Koil also wrote his name in the book (top edge of 1st page), so it looks like the current seller was the 3rd owner and has had it for over 50 years! This information was provided through his wife, who is helping him sort, photograph, and list his comic books.

I asked permission to share this story, and she said that wouldn't be a problem at all. Very nice woman who said she's never seen so much interest in a comic book. Although they've lived in several cities in Tennessee over the decades, the book has never left the Volunteer state. And in order to take pics of it, she recently plucked it out of a yellowed bag and put it in a fresh bag with a backing board. It seems they'll have a decent return on that nickel plunked down back in the '60s. :lol:

Edited by cloudofwit

I came here to see if anyone saw the cover less copy of AF 15 on Ebay . Seems its already talked about here. I have not looked at the prices of AF15 in quite a long time but wow. its about to hit 1K with 7 days left. And this copy had writting and ink on it etc. And to think when I paid I think $100-$150 a few years ago for a coverless copy I felt I was probably overpaying . Will keep an eye on that auction.

Here's a decent chunk of data I've gathered over the last few years for uber low grade copies, including coverless, half-coverless; missing wraps, only wraps, etc. Most of this data comes from eBay completed sales, with a few from ComicLink and Heritage--and one from World Wide Comics. (If anyone wants to part with any paid information via GPA for coverless copies, feel free.)

I'll first list 3 random sales over the last decade, a copy from 2005, 2009, and 2015--and then the rest is from 2011-2014.

--92.00 (12 bidders); Mar. 20, 2005; Heritage

Back cover (no front cover) w/ Spidey story only, stapled but not w/ original staples.

--567.63 (13 bidders); May 24, 2009; Heritage

Half of front cover missing & cover detached, otherwise complete.

--2,007.00, Mar. 2015; ComicLink

CGC NG (OW)--Coverless

Edited by cloudofwit

2011-2014 data (lowest to highest price realized, all manner of AF #15 copies):

--182.50 (7 bidders); May 22, 2011; eBay

Coverless; missing first 6 pgs. from Spidey story; other 2 stories complete.

--261.69 (5 bidders); Oct. 26, 2013; eBay

No covers; just 1st wrap.

--358.50 (10 bidders); Feb. 27, 2011; Heritage

Coverless & missing 1st wrap.

--438.00; 2011; eBay

Coverless--only pgs. from Spidey story, which are loose (sold by a CGC Boardie).

--450.00; May 2012; ComicLink

Centerfold only.

--500.00; June 2013; ComicLink

Centerfold only.

--540.00 (13 bidders); Feb. 16, 2013; eBay

Coverless; bott. half of last 2 pgs. missing; rusty staples; loose pgs. (The seller on eBay graded it a -3.7. :insane:)

--582.80 (12 bidders); Apr. 21, 2011; eBay

Coverless, otherwise complete; some rips/tears & soiling, especially 1st pg.

--685.00 (44 bids); Oct. 30, 2011; eBay (sold by John Haines, Overstreet Advisor)

Coverless, otherwise complete; supple pgs. w/ tattering along spine & a horizontal tear into the pgs. at center of spine.

--789.95 (14 bidders); Oct. 17, 2013; eBay

Coverless & minus 1st wrap.

More 2011-2014 data:

--800.00 (12 bidders); June 12, 2013; eBay

Coverless; extensive browning & chipping on edges of pgs.; tears w/ some edges brittle; all pgs. intact.

--842.17 (6 bidders); May 12, 2011; eBay

Coverless, otherwise complete.

*This seller noted the then-recent 1.1 million sale of AF #15 (CGC 9.6) by Metropolis Comics--and says Metropolis also sold a coverless copy for 1,000.00 a month prior to the million dollar sale.

--860.00 (13 bidders); Jan. 3, 2013; eBay

Coverless, otherwise complete; pgs. intact, VG condition

--1,000.00; 2011, World Wide Comics

Front cover, but no back cover; front cover tattered along the edges, but not brittle. Some tearing along pgs. near spine.

--1,025.00 (13 bidders); Mar. 23, 2014; eBay

Coverless; all pgs. intact, except lower right portion of pg. 1.

--1,126.99 (3 bidders); Oct. 19, 2012; eBay

Coverless, otherwise complete; would grade VG if not for missing cover.

--1,375.00 (27 bidders); Jan. 4, 2013; eBay

Half front cover missing; back cover is there, but cover is detached; front cover has tears on edges, spine w/ a few chips & tears; back cover not in good condition, w/ stains & some tape on bott.; pgs. are yellow.

--1,449.98 (BIN); Apr. 5, 2014; eBay

Coverless, otherwise complete; pgs. are cream to off white; 1st pg. separated & has tape repair; tape repairs are only on 1st & last pg.; name stamp on 1st pg.

--1,731.50 (9 bidders); Mar. 2, 2014; eBay

Coverless, otherwise complete; slightly rolled spine, some tiny nicks around the edge of 1st pg.; a 1/2" tear on the first 2 pgs., & slight water stains on the last 2 pgs.

--1,950 (BIN); Sept. 19, 2013; eBay

Coverless; otherwise complete w/ repro cover (not attached); pgs. in GD to GD/VG

Edited by cloudofwit

Here's a decent chunk of data I've gathered over the last few years for uber low grade copies, including coverless, half-coverless; missing wraps, only wraps, etc. Most of this data comes from eBay completed sales, with a few from ComicLink and Heritage--and one from World Wide Comics. (If anyone wants to part with any paid information via GPA for coverless copies, feel free.)

Thanks for sharing this cloudofwit.

Thanks for sharing this cloudofwit.

:thumbsup: