• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Had Steve sent me a PM, no problem. But just pulling the book b/c it wasn't supposed to be in the list (when it clearly was in the list) really disturbed me.

And it sets a very dangerous precedent. So I ask the question: can I just pull books b/c I want to and claim I made a mistake? Say I list one for sale and it sells in a matter of seconds....can I say "Sorry, shouldnt' have listed that one" b/c I clearly underpriced it? Based on what happened, I'd say yes....

But reality would dictate something different. I would be crucified if I did something like that. And why is that you say:

Double Standards on these boards

So while I don't get along with some and have made some excellent friends with others, I do not feel my comments were krapping but merely voicing my displeasure regarding a very slippery slope.

I understand your point of view on this, I just want to address your point above about precedent and a double standard.

I don't see any dangerous precedent set because I feel it will always boil down to good faith assumptions of trust. It is true someone could dishonourably make up a lie to get out of a sale, but without any sure way to verify that it comes down to reputations and trust.

It is probably true that if a new seller with as yet no credibility on the Boards did the same thing there would be a lot of bad buzz. Probably true. But this is not the case of a new or unknown seller.

What I am saying is that if going into this you otherwise had no reason to dislike or distrust the seller, you should give it the benefit of the doubt. 2c

Very possible. However, would a quick PM saying "hey, I made a boo boo" been all that bad vs the brushing it off comment?

I'll say this: there were better ways to handle it, by all parties involved.

Can someone give me the recap of what happened over in rube's G/S/B thread that's causing the dustup? Was it simply a listing error?
Thread krapping happened. And by the usual suspect.

I'm calling BS, and no one here would say that me and Columbia Comics are best buds. There were 2 issues in Rube's sale's thread..

1. The "Take It Pending Scan" - In all of these sales threads he has been posting no pictures. I find that lazy, but that's besides the point. He used the same rules in all of his OO sales threads; none of which addressed the issue of the Pending Scans Take It. So, I looked at his earlier OO sales threads and in the Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen thread ttfitz posted a Take It Pending Scan for #34. Rube subsequently quoted the take it and posted a picture; and ttfitz finalized the transaction by posting a follow up Take It. With that transaction a precedent was set; that precedent being that Take It Pending Scan was a valid placeholder, and effectively a first right of refusal to the person who posts it. If rube did not intend to create that precedent than he would have needed to state as such either in the Rules or in response to ttfitz's pending scan take it that the book was still available to an unconditional take it.

I just wanted to say I had asked rube in PM if posting "pending scans" was okay before I did it. And I had previously asked for scans in PMs. I only did in the thread that time, too, because I was pretty sure I would take it - I had a book from this most recent thread that I thought I might want, but thought there was a good chance I wouldn't, so once again I did the request via PM.

Which, I guess, was why I asked my questions here, wondering what the general mood was on the "pending scans" situation, whether I was staking a claim of some sort, or just letting my interest be known.

It's a relatively hot book and the price was probably alittle below FMV. But it wasn't an $800 book. It was a Sups 123 in Good. Maybe $120 or so if it had excellent eye appeal.

Just wanted to make it clear - the listings Steve has been making show Overstreet price, and the sales price is half that listed price for conditions under VF, I think it is. So he had it listed with $80 - Guide for Good - but that meant it was for sale at $40. So, more than "a little below FMV", by your own estimate.

Can someone give me the recap of what happened over in rube's G/S/B thread that's causing the dustup? Was it simply a listing error?
Thread krapping happened. And by the usual suspect.

I'm calling BS, and no one here would say that me and Columbia Comics are best buds. There were 2 issues in Rube's sale's thread..

1. The "Take It Pending Scan" - In all of these sales threads he has been posting no pictures. I find that lazy, but that's besides the point. He used the same rules in all of his OO sales threads; none of which addressed the issue of the Pending Scans Take It. So, I looked at his earlier OO sales threads and in the Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen thread ttfitz posted a Take It Pending Scan for #34. Rube subsequently quoted the take it and posted a picture; and ttfitz finalized the transaction by posting a follow up Take It. With that transaction a precedent was set; that precedent being that Take It Pending Scan was a valid placeholder, and effectively a first right of refusal to the person who posts it. If rube did not intend to create that precedent than he would have needed to state as such either in the Rules or in response to ttfitz's pending scan take it that the book was still available to an unconditional take it.

I just wanted to say I had asked rube in PM if posting "pending scans" was okay before I did it. And I had previously asked for scans in PMs. I only did in the thread that time, too, because I was pretty sure I would take it - I had a book from this most recent thread that I thought I might want, but thought there was a good chance I wouldn't, so once again I did the request via PM.

Which, I guess, was why I asked my questions here, wondering what the general mood was on the "pending scans" situation, whether I was staking a claim of some sort, or just letting my interest be known.

Normally pending scans is not the rule unless stated as a rule; however, as I mentioned earlier, the way your purchase was handled established a precedent within this series of Rube's sales that Pending Scans was a valid method for locking in the first opportunity to buy the book.

Ideally, rube would recognize this and address the rule explicitly going forward.

It's a relatively hot book and the price was probably alittle below FMV. But it wasn't an $800 book. It was a Sups 123 in Good. Maybe $120 or so if it had excellent eye appeal.

Just wanted to make it clear - the listings Steve has been making show Overstreet price, and the sales price is half that listed price for conditions under VF, I think it is. So he had it listed with $80 - Guide for Good - but that meant it was for sale at $40. So, more than "a little below FMV", by your own estimate.

This is irrelevant. The size of the difference in value is not so large as to be an obvious error, such as listing a $1000 book for $100.

There were 2 issues in Rube's sale's thread..

Normally pending scans is not the rule unless stated as a rule; however, as I mentioned earlier, the way your purchase was handled established a precedent within this series of Rube's sales that Pending Scans was a valid method for locking in the first opportunity to buy the book.

Ideally, rube would recognize this and address the rule explicitly going forward.

Rube made no mention that he was "holding" the book for ttfitz. He simply posted the scan,. then fitz confirmed. I am in the camp of "an unconditional take it would have ruled".

You Should have dealt with it in the appropriate thread. Then you might have been viewed in a better light. Threadcrapping is always wrong according to the rules.

And that thread is where? This one? Gimme a break.

Lots of talk and zero action happen in here all the time. Nothin would have changed had the issue been brought up here.

As for being seen in a better light, that's moot. Those that feel negatively towards me will still feel the same. Things change. People don't.

The "I'll take it, no conditions" after someone posted an "I'll take it pending scans" is a loser move.

If the seller says "first unconditional :takeit: " it will probably go to the second guy. But if I were the seller, I'd consider giving the first guy right of first refusal.

This playing a trump card of "unconditional :takeit: " is an example of the eBay mentality this place has taken on lately.

BS. Unconditional :takeit is a purchase. "Takeit" pending scans means nothing, it's another

negative situation created by sellers listing books without scans.

Seller lists book without scan.

"Potential buyer" posts takeit pending scans.

"Buyer" posts unconditional takeit.

I can understand that viewpoint, but let me ask you a question. Say you are at a convention, and a dealer has a raw book on his wall that looks interesting. You ask to take a look, and he hands it to you. You say, "Can we take it out of the bag and inspect it?" and someone comes up behind you and says, "I'll buy it without even looking!"

So, (1) is this acceptable behavior or a jerk move? And (2) should the dealer take it away from you and sell it to the new guy?

1) I don't think it's acceptable behavior.

2)The dealer can do whatever they want.

What the dealer does next is the most important piece of the puzzle.

The things that happened prior to this decision could not be avoided in the example you present.

You Should have dealt with it in the appropriate thread. Then you might have been viewed in a better light. Threadcrapping is always wrong according to the rules.

Lots of talk and zero action happen in here all the time. Nothin would have changed had the issue been brought up here.

As for being seen in a better light, that's moot. Those that feel negatively towards me will still feel the same. Things change. People don't.

Whatever. You keep on trucking, tiger.

This is irrelevant. The size of the difference in value is not so large as to be an obvious error, such as listing a $1000 book for $100.

It has nothing to do with whether it was an "obvious error", but whether it was significant enough to remove the offer to sell. The seller apparently thought it was.

The "I'll take it, no conditions" after someone posted an "I'll take it pending scans" is a loser move.

If the seller says "first unconditional :takeit: " it will probably go to the second guy. But if I were the seller, I'd consider giving the first guy right of first refusal.

This playing a trump card of "unconditional :takeit: " is an example of the eBay mentality this place has taken on lately.

BS. Unconditional :takeit is a purchase. "Takeit" pending scans means nothing, it's another

negative situation created by sellers listing books without scans.

Seller lists book without scan.

"Potential buyer" posts takeit pending scans.

"Buyer" posts unconditional takeit.

I can understand that viewpoint, but let me ask you a question. Say you are at a convention, and a dealer has a raw book on his wall that looks interesting. You ask to take a look, and he hands it to you. You say, "Can we take it out of the bag and inspect it?" and someone comes up behind you and says, "I'll buy it without even looking!"

So, (1) is this acceptable behavior or a jerk move? And (2) should the dealer take it away from you and sell it to the new guy?

1) I don't think it's acceptable behavior.

2)The dealer can do whatever they want.

What the dealer does next is the most important piece of the puzzle.

The things that happened prior to this decision could not be avoided in the example you present.

Well, "2" is obvious, the question would be whether that is the acceptable thing for the dealer to do. It appeared from your viewpoint on the "pending scans" situation that you thought the second poster with the unconditional takeit was perfectly acceptable, but basically the same thing in person is not?

Whatever. You keep on trucking, tiger.

I agree with you, Sean, as impulsivity is never much good, and it can deteriorate relationships even for simple misunderstandings.

At the same time I understand Brock's feelings, and we know his temper: I am not saying he should not have posted in the sales thread, but maybe he should have just posted a balanced comment saying a mistake is OK, but altering a post's text back and forth makes confusion.

From what I get, no one got the book at the initial listing price, so no preference (for the bad of the good). The mistake, in good faith, belongs to rube and I will never stress enough a bit of more care when listing (and pictures, dawg! lol ) would do a world of good. :)

there are certainly more sales threads out there that deserve all this attention

Sellers who put the minimal amount of time and effort into their rules yet people just look away

+ 1

It takes time to post scans or pictures and descriptions, but you have less problems when you do. There would be no "pending scans" if the scans were posted.

We have more and more people who fail to do either and it's disturbing. People want to make sales, but put the minimal amount of effort into it.

I don't even look at those threads when I'm shopping, nor do I like "normal rules" ...what's normal?

Paypal Question:

If someone requests that you send to a different address than what is listed in paypal, would I be setting myself up for a possible scam by sending it to the requested address and not the one listed on paypal? Does paypal cover any loss of goods if the shipment isn't to the address listed on the account? Thanks for the advice