• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

EOSV2 is the next Walking Dead/TMNT

I realize you just said that to generate conversation in a thread going stale, but :roflmao:

hatersgriffin.gif

Its not hating it being patient. To compare Spider-Gwen to TMNT is far fetched in my mind. For that to have taken off there was movies (first one was much better then the rest) and a popular animation tv show coupled with action figures, tie ins to pizza, not to mention a very low printed indie comic book on those early issues. For every TMNT you have numerous Lobo's, Savage Dragon's that don't remain hot.

+1

TMNT and Gwen don't even have 1% of business being compared to one another. TMNT is a global success. Mainly due to it being targeted towards children, originality, and quality. Something that often in this industry is THE key to longevity. I'm not too sure how many children actually read SG books and have the same love for a redo that may be provided with originality and a character/book made for children to grasp onto and grow with as many of us did with TMNT. The only people I have witnessed buying SG books off the shelves are flippers and late teen/20's females. Not too sure that's the same recipe for success for the long haul for her. I don't doubt she'll have her time but I feel the majority have already had their fill of her.

Im laughing reading this because you got it all mixed up.

Back when TMNT came out, it wasnt a children's comic. No. it was very grimy, B&W indie book which wasnt marketed at all as an Archie/Cartoon network type book. If you know Eastman & Laird, you already know that these two got their influences from Corben/heavy Metal to name but a few adult publishers/artists. But clever marketing and merchandising elevated them to a much broader and younger audience. Thats REALLY the main difference between SG and TMNT. But otherwise, both books rose to fame quite quickly, within months of audience reception. Both properties were attributed to a strong main current stream, TMNT with the Anthropomorphic boom of the 80s and SG with today's female reader's boom, both are/were top sellers at their peak, cosplays, etc etc etc

And yes, both comics are consumed primarily by younger readers. Period.

If you dont know this by now, you need to go out to cons more often.

The only reason why people dismiss SG so quickly is because shes new.

Thats really it.

Saying SG has no promise is foolish at best. But it will get you points for originality

If TMNT happened today, youd have the same reaction as you would to SG. Simple.

You honestly believe the readers of SG books today will be reading them in 20 years? On what, the 20th reboot? Will they be eager for a reboot of a SG movie? Wearing a SG t-shirt? Getting a SG tattoo? That's the reality of TMNT. I attend several cons a year, yes I see the few SG cosplays. Point being what? That a few out of the bunch like her outfit and don't even read the comic? Yeah, I see that too. I definitely don't see attendees hunting for copies of SG books, because they are a dime a dozen. they want one, they buy one. No real buy in IMO that comes with the want and hunt.

SG is new? I'll give you trendy but definitely not new. It's been done a few times so she'll always have a * next to her name in many people's eyes. I won't say she doesn't have promise, who knows how long Marvel will pimp her out and force her down everyone's throats hoping it sticks for the long haul.

I was buying early issue TMNT books (#1 and on) off the shelves in the 80's as a child as many of my friends because it was pitched as a kids comic to us. It was definitely on many collectors radar in the B/W craze but I can't speak to the fact if they were actually reading and enjoying them as kids were. When something is hard to get many people want it more. It's human nature in our society. The rarity of TMNT added to the buzz of the comic itself. Just like Apple being sold out on the new iPhone on the day of its release, or the next gaming console. It's strategy that makes people want it more, not because they just didn't feel like making any more.

If SG succeeds for decades, cool. I don't see it happening at the magnitude she WAS at just a few months ago. So I just don't see the appropriate comparison to TMNT, at all. If something I felt was quality and had the originality of TMNT I would not doubt its potential at all.

I'm not anti Gwen either. TMNT is a classic from the get go. Plain and simple. SG is not.

See the problem with your interpretation of the SG phenomenon is that you are older, much like me, and of a different gender. You will NEVER see it. I dont see it either, I just see a top selling book, tons of cosplayer, and tons of kids on twitter feeds and at cons loving Spider Gwen. The kids that love her dont love her because of her reincarnations, relation to Spider Man, Earth 616, etc etc.. Much like kids who buy TMNT action figures, watch the cartoon and the movie nowadays couldnt care less about the comic. Its all about marketing of the property and how relevant it is with current trending streams. Young female empowerment is HUGE in comic books and in pop culture. Beyond huge.

If you dont see that, then we have no discussion. You just dont see it.

EOSV2 is the next Walking Dead/TMNT

I realize you just said that to generate conversation in a thread going stale, but :roflmao:

hatersgriffin.gif

Its not hating it being patient. To compare Spider-Gwen to TMNT is far fetched in my mind. For that to have taken off there was movies (first one was much better then the rest) and a popular animation tv show coupled with action figures, tie ins to pizza, not to mention a very low printed indie comic book on those early issues. For every TMNT you have numerous Lobo's, Savage Dragon's that don't remain hot.

+1

TMNT and Gwen don't even have 1% of business being compared to one another. TMNT is a global success. Mainly due to it being targeted towards children, originality, and quality. Something that often in this industry is THE key to longevity. I'm not too sure how many children actually read SG books and have the same love for a redo that may be provided with originality and a character/book made for children to grasp onto and grow with as many of us did with TMNT. The only people I have witnessed buying SG books off the shelves are flippers and late teen/20's females. Not too sure that's the same recipe for success for the long haul for her. I don't doubt she'll have her time but I feel the majority have already had their fill of her.

Im laughing reading this because you got it all mixed up.

Back when TMNT came out, it wasnt a children's comic. No. it was very grimy, B&W indie book which wasnt marketed at all as an Archie/Cartoon network type book. If you know Eastman & Laird, you already know that these two got their influences from Corben/heavy Metal to name but a few adult publishers/artists. But clever marketing and merchandising elevated them to a much broader and younger audience. Thats REALLY the main difference between SG and TMNT. But otherwise, both books rose to fame quite quickly, within months of audience reception. Both properties were attributed to a strong main current stream, TMNT with the Anthropomorphic boom of the 80s and SG with today's female reader's boom, both are/were top sellers at their peak, cosplays, etc etc etc

And yes, both comics are consumed primarily by younger readers. Period.

If you dont know this by now, you need to go out to cons more often.

The only reason why people dismiss SG so quickly is because shes new.

Thats really it.

Saying SG has no promise is foolish at best. But it will get you points for originality

If TMNT happened today, youd have the same reaction as you would to SG. Simple.

You honestly believe the readers of SG books today will be reading them in 20 years? On what, the 20th reboot? Will they be eager for a reboot of a SG movie? Wearing a SG t-shirt? Getting a SG tattoo? That's the reality of TMNT. I attend several cons a year, yes I see the few SG cosplays. Point being what? That a few out of the bunch like her outfit and don't even read the comic? Yeah, I see that too. I definitely don't see attendees hunting for copies of SG books, because they are a dime a dozen. they want one, they buy one. No real buy in IMO that comes with the want and hunt.

SG is new? I'll give you trendy but definitely not new. It's been done a few times so she'll always have a * next to her name in many people's eyes. I won't say she doesn't have promise, who knows how long Marvel will pimp her out and force her down everyone's throats hoping it sticks for the long haul.

I was buying early issue TMNT books (#1 and on) off the shelves in the 80's as a child as many of my friends because it was pitched as a kids comic to us. It was definitely on many collectors radar in the B/W craze but I can't speak to the fact if they were actually reading and enjoying them as kids were. When something is hard to get many people want it more. It's human nature in our society. The rarity of TMNT added to the buzz of the comic itself. Just like Apple being sold out on the new iPhone on the day of its release, or the next gaming console. It's strategy that makes people want it more, not because they just didn't feel like making any more.

If SG succeeds for decades, cool. I don't see it happening at the magnitude she WAS at just a few months ago. So I just don't see the appropriate comparison to TMNT, at all. If something I felt was quality and had the originality of TMNT I would not doubt its potential at all.

I'm not anti Gwen either. TMNT is a classic from the get go. Plain and simple. SG is not.

See the problem with your interpretation of the SG phenomenon is that you are older, much like me, and of a different gender. You will NEVER see it. I dont see it either, I just see a top selling book, tons of cosplayer, and tons of kids on twitter feeds and at cons loving Spider Gwen. The kids that love her dont love her because of her reincarnations, relation to Spider Man, Earth 616, etc etc.. Much like kids who buy TMNT action figures, watch the cartoon and the movie nowadays couldnt care less about the comic. Its all about marketing of the property and how relevant it is with current trending streams. Young female empowerment is HUGE in comic books and in pop culture. Beyond huge.

If you dont see that, then we have no discussion. You just dont see it.

The big difference is TMNT was a marketing MACHINE. I mean products everywhere. Add this important fact TMNT #! was a rare low printed indie comic book. EOV#2 isn't. Neither is Spider-Gwen #1 nor will the next rebooted Spider-Gwen #1 be a rare hard to find book (there are stacks of SG #1 still sitting a lcs around here). Sure sure you can argue there are a few rare varaints but nothing even in the same atmosphere as TMNT. Not even close. 2c

Edited by natevegas

The big difference is TMNT was a marketing MACHINE. I mean products everywhere. Add this important fact TMNT #! was a rare low printed indie comic book. EOV#2 isn't. Neither is Spider-Gwen #1 nor will the next rebooted Spider-Gwen #1 be a rare hard to find book. Sure sure you can argue there are a few rare varaints but nothing even in the same atmosphere as TMNT. Not even close. 2c

SG is a marketing machine! More than TMNT ever was in its first year. So, as far as comparison goes, SG is way ahead of TMNT for her duration in existence.

Sure I can argue that the EOSV#2 Bighead Land variant has more or less an average print run similar to TMNT #1, certainly lower than WD #1, but thats not the point. She doesnt have the mileage that TMNT has.

I speculate that this title will be the next TMNT or WD, its not there NOW. It will be there after a cartoon show, and a movie. So far, your arguments are about current marketing status, which is irelevant, since TMNT has been here for 30 years, SG hasnt..

Tell me why you so passioately believe that SG will fail and we would have a topic of conversation

Are you doing Kool-Aid keg stands?

It will not remain a top selling book. Sure it will have a massive #1 on the reboot. Take away all the #1 only buyers or flippers and I'd say about half the print run and downward moving forward from #2 on. People like her outfit, yippee. People liked bell bottoms as well. Another shiney object in the form of a female character is bound to take her place and be fresher for the time. That fact that even you admit that they love her for pretty much everything except the comic and history of her speaks volumes. How can one sustain massive (TMNT comparison) success if the main source of the creation is already secondary?

I am well aware of the large jump in female readers. I don't need a edited TV show to show me that, they have always been around. It's just grown. I'm also aware of the female empowerment movement. I applaud any positive movement such as that. If Gwen does this then bravo. Even if she is around in 20 years I'd applaud. But you are comparing her to the freaking TWD and TMNT!

The big difference is TMNT was a marketing MACHINE. I mean products everywhere. Add this important fact TMNT #! was a rare low printed indie comic book. EOV#2 isn't. Neither is Spider-Gwen #1 nor will the next rebooted Spider-Gwen #1 be a rare hard to find book. Sure sure you can argue there are a few rare varaints but nothing even in the same atmosphere as TMNT. Not even close. 2c

SG is a marketing machine! More than TMNT ever was in its first year. So, as far as comparison goes, SG is way ahead of TMNT for her duration in existence.

Sure I can argue that the EOSV#2 Bighead Land variant has more or less an average print run similar to TMNT #1, certainly lower than WD #1, but thats not the point. She doesnt have the mileage that TMNT has.

I speculate that this title will be the next TMNT or WD, its not there NOW. It will be there after a cartoon show, and a movie. So far, your arguments are about current marketing status, which is irelevant, since TMNT has been here for 30 years, SG hasnt..

Tell me why you so passioately believe that SG will fail and we would have a topic of conversation

Another link compared to WD now? Again a low low low printed book that blew up over the TV show. It was a decent priced book before the show but again not even close to what it went to and still is because of the TV show marketing machine There is no marketing machine out for Spidey-Gwen even in the ballpark to TMNT or WD. Speculate all you want and that's cool you think it'll get to that level, I have my doubts because its not a rare book. That simple fact won't change.

Edited by natevegas

Are you doing Kool-Aid keg stands?

It will not remain a top selling book. Sure it will have a massive #1 on the reboot. Take away all the #1 only buyers or flippers and I'd say about half the print run and downward moving forward from #2 on. People like her outfit, yippee. People liked bell bottoms as well. Another shiney object in the form of a female character is bound to take her place and be fresher for the time. That fact that even you admit that they love her for pretty much everything except the comic and history of her speaks volumes. How can one sustain massive (TMNT comparison) success if the main source of the creation is already secondary?

I am well aware of the large jump in female readers. I don't need a edited TV show to show me that, they have always been around. It's just grown. I'm also aware of the female empowerment movement. I applaud any positive movement such as that. If Gwen does this then bravo. Even if she is around in 20 years I'd applaud. But you are comparing her to the freaking TWD and TMNT!

Bro, why hate? Its a holiday, have a bud on me..

Please tell me why a hit character will lose its followers in 20 years and well have something to talk about. Wait.. because.. its obvious, right? Smart answer

If you're aware of all the things I have entailed which contribute to the SG phenomenon, please list one reason why you speculate she will fail

There is no marketing machine out for Spidey-Gwen even in the ballpark to TMNT or WD.

Why are we arguing about something i didnt say.

SG has more marketing power than TMNT and WD combined for its first year. Please deny that so I can move on

No hate at all Awe, I almost always respect your posts and get a laugh out of the gifs. Again, if she's around in 20 years that would be cool. I don't know if that's a reality with his Marvel often decides to shoot themselves in the foot. My only gripe was the WD and TMNT comparison. Apples and oranges in my eyes. I actually root for a SG movie. I have my doubts but I don't know how Marvel will play her into the mainstream because she is not their yet.

OK, Im going back to my grill guys. Have a happy 4th and dont worry too much, Im sure theres an EOSV#2 Land variant hidden somewhere in a 5 below bag!

Well its not in any combo packs. lol Sorry had to. Happy 4th!

Uh oh

spidergwen_1436537778.jpg

robbirodriguez I've seen a lot of great takes on the Gwen design but this is far from one of them.

ladyautumnofasgard This isn't a Gwen cosplay, it's a piece inspired by Gwen for a couture fashion show. Someone put a lot of love and effort into this to pay tribute to Gwen, and they will see your comment and probably feel awful. i like you but this is uncalled for and I'm sad to see it.

Why on earth would he make a negative comment!?!?!? Regardless of if he likes it or not he should have kept that comment to himself. Not a wise move knowing the bulk of his SG fan base is female and that may have offended the designer in his brash remark.