• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

I find I collect Adams books more than other artists and tend toward SS Adams books. He really impressed me when I was a kid. If his sig is well placed, I'd have him do a 227 9.8 1st page sig. To me, it's an autograph, not a scrawl and certainly not vandalism. The sigs also seem to add to the $$$ value as well. If we pay big dollars to have some of these books we have, then there's no shame in assigning them a $$$ value. On the other hand, I wouldn't want an SS Irv Novick book for example. Don't care at all about Stan Lee signed books. I guess this is an example of different camps. Some like 'em and some don't. I do see your point about having a clean surface with no marks on the covers, though. I can see where it might distract from the landscaping. I try to remember these aren't Rembrandts. They are pop culture material. Getting signed books is almost ironic.

Sounds like you have original art covers signed by Adams. I'd love to see them sometime.

I would still kill for a Frazetta Sig. series book,or any kind of artwork,scribble or maybe even used toilet paper. hmlol

+ 1 Billion. Autographs mean someone greater than I and whom I respect a great deal touched this book. And they respect me enough to recognize that and sign their wares.

edited for mispelling...

Edited by Randall Ries

I have burned three 9.6's and one 9.4 because they were pressed. No kidding. I even had Adams sign a 9.4 227 in 6 different places on the cover, as it adds a uniqueness to it I could not get from any other 227.

Unless, of course, someone else took their book and asked him to do the same thing...

I have burned three 9.6's and one 9.4 because they were pressed. No kidding. I even had Adams sign a 9.4 227 in 6 different places on the cover, as it adds a uniqueness to it I could not get from any other 227.

That's overkill. No offense meant. I'd love to see a scan of that book, though.

What do you mean by "burned"? Not destroyed I hope.

Yeah, I destroyed them. That was in my "I'm disgusted with the grade manipulation" phase.

Have you ever cut an ear off and sent it to a girl who jilted you? Why would you burn 3 9.6's and a 9.4 Bat #227? So you basically set aflame $7000 and took 4 nice books out of circulation forever. Anyone say Machiavelli? No need to show the scan. You probably signed Adam's name to the book 6 times.

Edited by Randall Ries

Yeah, I destroyed them. That was in my "I'm disgusted with the grade manipulation" phase.

Have you ever cut an ear off and sent it to a girl who jilted you? Why would you burn 2 9.6's and a 9.4 Detective #227? So you basically set aflame $7000 and took 3 nice books out of circulation forever. Anyone say Machiavelli? No need to show the scan. You probably signed Adam's name to the book 6 times.

Joe also sold a GL #76 9.6 for like $30k. the buyer probably wishes he had burned that one as well.

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. They were mine, I owned them, and I burned them at my junkyard. They are not rare or scarce in just about any grade, so it is not like I was committing a crime against humanity.

I don't think anyone is offended. Afterall, they were your books, you are entitled to do what you wish with them. Hopefully, they were miswrapped copies. :wishluck:

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. They were mine, I owned them, and I burned them at my junkyard. They are not rare or scarce in just about any grade, so it is not like I was committing a crime against humanity.

Did you have the right to do this? Sure. Are people offended? I doubt it.

But you could have given them to people who couldn't afford them and created some joy and happiness. Instead you burned them, which means no one will ever get joy or happiness from them. So, whatever you call choosing not to create joy and happiness, that's what you did.

Did you have the right to do this? Sure. Are people offended? I doubt it.

But you could have given them to people who couldn't afford them and created some joy and happiness. Instead you burned them, which means no one will ever get joy or happiness from them. So, whatever you call choosing not to create joy and happiness, that's what you did.

This.

Of course they were yours to do what you chose to do with them. You just don't see many people posting on comic book collector boards that they chose to burn 3 NM copies of a rather expensive ergo hard to obtain books for the average joe out of spite over grading issues. It was a little jarring to read that. Pressing isn't restoration. They ARE rare to the average collector in that hi-grade copies go for a good chunk of change, putting them out of reach and creating a secondary scarcity.

We've all heard the stories of the parents who burned their now elderly kids golden age collections or the elderly doing it themselves out of sheer ignorance. Who knew at the time? Sounds like you did it because you disagreed with grading ambiguity. I could choose to put a brick on the accelerator of my 1969 Chevy Camaro, release the E-brake and point it at a tree over someone pointing out restoration issues or mismatching numbers, buuuut....

It reminded me of the woman I used to work with who bought seven pot roasts for a party, cooked them, served them, only two got eaten and she threw the other 5 away. In the trash. When I incredulously asked her why she would do that, her reply was "we do not eat leftovers". I almost got fired for the I gave her for that response. Just completely out of left field and yes, offensive. They gave me a "time out" in the break room. lol!

I don't know whether to applaud your flagrance or feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for the books and the collectors who could have enjoyed them for sure. Joy is hard to come by these days. Food was hard to come by in the early '80's thanks to "Reaganomics". Must be nice to be so cavalier about money at the very least.

As far as the Adams sigs, I'm sure he signed them, but having him do it six times is just as weird as burning 3 perfectly nice raw high grade examples.

There are many who believe pressing isn't restortion, but I have also spoken to many collectors who believe that altering a book from it's original state through un-natural means is restoration. In any case, I never mentioned restoration, I did mention grade manipulation.