• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

archival boxes for long term comic storage?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to collecting comics and therefore I have a beginners question regarding long term storage of comics. I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. Anyway, I would like to keep my comics in the best condition for as long as possible. I already have them bagged in mylar bags and they have backing boards as well. But leaving them like that is not preferable to me due to the space they take. So I'd like to store them in comic boxes, but unfortunately where I live there are no comic boxes to buy. My next best option are archival boxes like the ones here:

http://www.packingsolution.co.uk/product/ps08/

The boxes I intend to buy are of suitable size for my comics, but I am not sure if it's ok to store them in these kind of boxes or I should look specifically for comic book boxes? Thanks for clarifying.

99% of comic boxes are standard cardboard with a white exterior.

There is little or no chemical difference between them and the box you linked or even an all kraft (brown) cardboard box. Double wide boxes generally don't have the strength of comic boxes.

I know they are expensive :/ What is my best alternative then?

I use short boxes made of corrugated plastic. Acid-free / resistant to water and vermin

Bags Unlimited

Also, follow the link below to read our "noob" guide. It's got a ton of information, including additional reading on archival safe storage. Welcome to the boards!

Noob Guide

Do no dealers in the UK stock comic boxes?

Yes, they do.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to e-bay pages so I shall err on the side of caution and advise zonk to search for Silver Age Comic Boxes there.

Do no dealers in the UK stock comic boxes?

Comic boxes are easily obtainable in the UK

It is when you get to countries that don't have comic book stores, that it really just doesn't make sense for some people to pay $35US to ship over a "comic" box when the collector can find an equivalent for $5 locally

I use short boxes made of corrugated plastic. Acid-free / resistant to water and vermin

Bags Unlimited

Also, follow the link below to read our "noob" guide. It's got a ton of information, including additional reading on archival safe storage. Welcome to the boards!

Noob Guide

Thanks! I'll look some more on ebay and see what I can find. Yes, the shipping price is ridiculous, over 40 US dollars

If all of your books are stored in Mylites with Acid Free Boards it does not matter what type of box they are stored in since the box will never actually touch the book and it will not affect the preservation quality of the Mylite.

The box is basically to keep the books stored properly standing front to back in the box and to keep out light (Ultra Violet, Florescent and Incandescent)

I spent some time looking for alternatives online, but it seems luck was on my side and I managed to find a seller that will ship an actual comic book storage box for a good price! So it seems that problem is solved, thank you all for your assistance. I have one other question regarding storing comics: When my box arrives, I will put all my single issue comics in it. They are all bagged in mylar and boarded. I also have some TPBs and Omnibuses by Dark Horse comics that are not bagged. Is it ok to put them in the storage box next to the bagged comics? I realize this may be a silly question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to comic collecting and storing, so...

The only "silly" question is the one that is not asked.

Should not be a problem storing TPB's with your comics.

Again, as long as the comics are in Mylites they will not be affected by anything around them, however...

If you are looking for long term preservation of the TBP's I would separate them from each other.

ALL paper products degrade by themselves over time and as they degrade produce acids that could affect the other books they touche if they are not separated.

Ideally you want something stable like Mylar or Acid Free Boards in between them.

The degrading process is very slow and the more stable the environment they are stored in the slower it will be.

On the bright side of paper degrading...

I Love the smell of "degrading paper" when I walk into a Comic Shop.

Bags Unlimited

+1 on these boxes. I get the longer version : I've bought 20 and not looked back. Not only archival, they are tuff as tanks and a little shorter than a normal long box which reduces overall weight. Best portable boxes around. I would, if used on a daily basis, run white gaffer's tape around the top of the box to prevent any gashing to the bottoms of comics (in bag) when inserting them back into the box. So far I've not hurt a comic, but I've busted the corner of a few Mylite2's.

Long term, I would highly recommend sealing the bottom edges with gaffer's or white monster tape to make waterproof from spills/leaks (which is just piece of mind for storage) Stored on a pallet, or 2x4's in storage, waters can flood at least 8" high before penetrating the box. Higher if you seal the handle holes.

Edited by Soft-Serve

Welcome to the boards Zonk.

Depending on the books you are storing and then the size of the mylars and boards you should make sure you get a box that fits.

I use silver/golden mylars and therefore need to buy magazine boxes to ensure they fit properly. I also prefer to use them as they are shorter and I have OCD about having hundreds of books in one box incase they are slightly misaligned and create any kind of pressure on the books that are further back - maybe that's just me (shrug)

I buy boxes generally from Travelling Man for about £4/5. I know there are online dealers in the UK that if you are buying quite a few it makes it worthwhile bulk buying.

On a side note check Archonia.com for bags and boards - they seem the best place in regards to price.

Thank you all for your replies, you're very helpful!

The only "silly" question is the one that is not asked.

Should not be a problem storing TPB's with your comics.

Again, as long as the comics are in Mylites they will not be affected by anything around them, however...

If you are looking for long term preservation of the TBP's I would separate them from each other.

ALL paper products degrade by themselves over time and as they degrade produce acids that could affect the other books they touche if they are not separated.

Ideally you want something stable like Mylar or Acid Free Boards in between them.

The degrading process is very slow and the more stable the environment they are stored in the slower it will be.

On the bright side of paper degrading...

I Love the smell of "degrading paper" when I walk into a Comic Shop.

I don't know of any mylar bags big enough to fit the TPBs and Omnis in? The ones that I have can only fit single issues...

If all of your books are stored in Mylites with Acid Free Boards it does not matter what type of box they are stored in since the box will never actually touch the book and it will not affect the preservation quality of the Mylite.

The box is basically to keep the books stored properly standing front to back in the box and to keep out light (Ultra Violet, Florescent and Incandescent)

+1