• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

I used to own that book when it was a 4.0.. Surprised it is now a 6.0 with the top and bottom spine splits. Those were the only major defects going for that book. Just stunned right now :o One of the best 4.0 books I've owned.
that was quite a 4.0 run of pre robins you had Brian. I thought CGC had a "ceiling" grade of 5.0/5.5 on books that had such spine splits...?

Yep, it was a fabulous run I pulled. I don't think I can pull it off again unless I win the lottery lol I really don't know what the ceiling is for spine splits. But, I know back then if the spine splits are around an inch or more at both top and bottom, I think the ceiling that time was around the 4.0/4.5 range. I guess now it has changed?

I used to own that book when it was a 4.0.. Surprised it is now a 6.0 with the top and bottom spine splits. Those were the only major defects going for that book. Just stunned right now :o One of the best 4.0 books I've owned.
that was quite a 4.0 run of pre robins you had Brian. I thought CGC had a "ceiling" grade of 5.0/5.5 on books that had such spine splits...?

Yep, it was a fabulous run I pulled. I don't think I can pull it off again unless I win the lottery lol I really don't know what the ceiling is for spine splits. But, I know back then if the spine splits are around an inch or more at both top and bottom, I think the ceiling that time was around the 4.0/4.5 range. I guess now it has changed?

you could be right. I know the Central Valley Fantastic 3 is CGC 5.5 because of a 3" or so split. Otherwise, it looks 9.0ish. I know you will get your pre Robin run back (even if lower grade) :)

Be careful , Ben. Actually the spine split on the Central Valley Fantastic 3 is 1.5", not 3". Secondly, it's a 6.0, not a 5.5. lastly, it would grade a 9.4 White, not a 9.0 if the spine split split we're not present. Also, it would grade out higher now, if regarded, seeing this Tec 31 and other Fantastic 3' s in recent memory.

Someone else pointed this out to me. I'm pretty stunned.

Same book right?!!!

2012 Book http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=451023

2015 Book http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=622318

:eek: from a 4 to a 6. That's some black magic right there. Spine splits be gone! :o

6.0 grade is a bit too generous for that book.

Be careful , Ben. Actually the spine split on the Central Valley Fantastic 3 is 1.5", not 3". Secondly, it's a 6.0, not a 5.5. lastly, it would grade a 9.4 White, not a 9.0 if the spine split split we're not present. Also, it would grade out higher now, if regarded, seeing this Tec 31 and other Fantastic 3' s in recent memory.
it was initially a 5.5 then a 6.0 iirc

It's absolutely the same book, looks like splits were repositioned to the back when pressed, so they aren't visible.

doesn't look it from the back cover scan. (shrug)

They are lined up right along the spine so you can't see them in the scan - the only other explanation is that they were sealed and it wasn't caught, which I find very hard to believe.

There was a case of a Det #1 that had a front cover married on. It was attached about an inch to the right of the spine, and was done so flawlessly (and without ct) that it wasn't noticed when examined by several professionals in the industry upon first glance. :shrug:

This book appears to have gone under the radar.

Sean, I'm glad you know your books better than I do (thumbs u It's been awhile since I saw that F3 in hand. Would love to see/hear more about your great collection :)

I emailed the seller, who (apparently) had no idea something had been listed under their account. They had it pulled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-31-Sep-1939-DC-/131551424930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea11371a2

Do you know the seller or the owner of the tec ?

I emailed the seller, who (apparently) had no idea something had been listed under their account. They had it pulled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-31-Sep-1939-DC-/131551424930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea11371a2

strange...if the account was hacked, would have thought the email would have gone to the hacker, not the acct owner?... in any event, October sniffed this out as a scam...thanks!

Do you know the seller or the owner of the tec ?

Nope. Curious where the pics of the book came from though. No sales listed in GPA for a Mod P copy.