• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

Well, up until a point Thor: Tales of Asgard was the best Marvel animated movie and that was kind of a ho-hum production at that.

But now, after watching Hulk Vs. Wolverine that can change now. I thought it was a solid little movie ( hm 37 minutes does not make it a film). Loved the action, the Deadpool jokes and the X-23 cameo.

I'll wait before I give it a more of a positive and watch the other half ...Vs. Thor and just consider it called Hulk Vs. in the end.

But really, FINALLY a good Marvel animated movie! :)

Well, up until a point Thor: Tales of Asgard was the best Marvel animated movie and that was kind of a ho-hum production at that.

But now, after watching Hulk Vs. Wolverine that can change now. I thought it was a solid little movie ( hm 37 minutes does not make it a film). Loved the action, the Deadpool jokes and the X-23 cameo.

I'll wait before I give it a more of a positive and watch the other half ...Vs. Thor and just consider it called Hulk Vs. in the end.

The Thor segment pretty solid as well. So, I give Hulk Vs. a thumbs up. (thumbs u

Marvel Animated Movie Checklist:

Big Hero 6****

Hulk Vs.***

Thor: Tales of Asgard**

The Invincible Iron Man*

Ultimate Avengers*

Iron Man: Extremis"

Avengers Confidential: Punisher & Black Widow1/2

8. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero***

Just saw this for the first time today. OUTSTANDING!

- Directed by Boyd Kirkland (from Batman: the Animated Series)

- Kevin Conroy as Batman

- Michael 'Commander Kang' Ansara as MR Freeze

- Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as Alfred

3.5/5 stars

(thumbs u

I didn't like the closing scene at first, but it really grew on me since. I wanted Freeze to have a happier ending, but he did get an unexpected happy one, just with no personal pay-off. It eventually seemed "real" as he hobbled off in the sunset as things will never be the same for him in the condition he is in. If only Batman & Robin (1997), had used Mr. Freeze like this...

SubZero is one of my all time faves. A great storyline featuring a great villain. I'm a big fan of Batman TAS and would love to see the whole works remastered on Blu-ray.

"Kevin Conroy as Batman"? Kevin Conroy IS Batman! Jason O'Mara does a decent job however Kevin Conroy had the voice spot on.

It's great to see SubZero being discussed 16 years after it was released. Probably the best of the BTAS feature lengths IMO.

The Thor segment pretty solid as well. So, I give Hulk Vs. a thumbs up. (thumbs u

Big Hero 6****

Hulk Vs.***

The Invincible Iron Man*

Ultimate Avengers*

While I'm mainly DCAU, of all the Marvel I've seen I really enjoyed Planet Hulk quite a bit. Mainly as a Heavy Metal-type space tale. Even though it's Hulk he's still an earthman stranded on an alien world. Good stuff.

Big Hero 6****

Hulk Vs.***

The Invincible Iron Man*

Ultimate Avengers*

While I'm mainly DCAU, of all the Marvel I've seen I really enjoyed Planet Hulk quite a bit. Mainly as a Heavy Metal-type space tale. Even though it's Hulk he's still an earthman stranded on an alien world. Good stuff.

Yeah, I have The Next Avengers to watch next. But, I've been really curious about Planet Hulk and Doctor Strange. I've watched other cruddy Marvel movies too, like The Inhumans, Wolverine Vs. Sabretooth, etc. It's just been too long of a line of poorly produced garbage.

Yeah, I have The Next Avengers to watch next. But, I've been really curious about Planet Hulk and Doctor Strange. I've watched other cruddy Marvel movies too, like The Inhumans, Wolverine Vs. Sabretooth, etc. It's just been too long of a line of poorly produced garbage.

The Fox Saturday Morning Lineup 'X-Men: The Animated Series' (1992-1997) was fun to watch back in the day. And they had a flow of character appearances that made each episode worth watching (Apocalypse, Bishop, Cable, Lady Deathstrike, Mister Sinister, Mystique, Omega Red, Scarlet Witch, Vindicator).

I haven't seen these for years now. I wonder if these episodes would still hold my interest.

Good luck with Doctor Strange. :eek: I really tried to like it, wanted to, twice, and... yeah. It just came across as some bizarre anime fever-dream I couldn't connect with.

Since this is moves and series I'll put in a good word for Wolverine and the X-Men animated series. If you can binge-watch multiple episodes a strong underlying continuity/plot emerges, a singular story-arc beginning to end. It was good. (thumbs u

wolverine_and_the_x-men_cartoon_image.jpg

Just saw this for the first time today. OUTSTANDING!

- Directed by Boyd Kirkland (from Batman: the Animated Series)

- Kevin Conroy as Batman

- Michael 'Commander Kang' Ansara as MR Freeze

- Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as Alfred

3.5/5 stars

(thumbs u

I didn't like the closing scene at first, but it really grew on me since. I wanted Freeze to have a happier ending, but he did get an unexpected happy one, just with no personal pay-off. It eventually seemed "real" as he hobbled off in the sunset as things will never be the same for him in the condition he is in. If only Batman & Robin (1997), had used Mr. Freeze like this...

Didn't know about this one, so I downloaded it and just finished watching. Very good. Thanks (thumbs u

Yeah, I just finished The Next Avengers. A bit juvenile, some rushed animation and the overall feeling that this was some kind of desperate pilot for an ongoing Saturday morning cartoon, but I liked the children characters and it had "moments". A reluctant thumbs down. :(

Big Hero 6****

Hulk Vs.***

The Next Avengers**

The Invincible Iron Man*

The Ultimate Avengers Movie*

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns****

2. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

3. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

4. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

5. All-Star Superman***1/2

6. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

7. Batman: Assault on Arkham***1/2

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

11. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

12. Wonder Woman***

13. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

14. Batman: Year One***

15. Superman: Doomsday***

16. Batman Beyond: The Movie***

17. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

18. Superman Unbound***

19. Green Lantern: First Flight***

20. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

21. Batman: Gotham Knight**1/2

22. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

23. Justice League: Doom**

24. Justice League: War*1/2

25: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

I've been reading back through the thread... I was quite surprised when I saw War with only 1 and 1/2 stars! I take it you're not a big fan, NEG?

I really liked it. Fast paced, action packed and well drawn/acted. The -script was OK and the rebooted characters seemed to gel better than in the comic. I preferred it to Throne of Atlantis.

No Batman vs Dracula? (shrug);):D

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns****

2. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

3. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

4. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

5. All-Star Superman***1/2

6. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

7. Batman: Assault on Arkham***1/2

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

11. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

12. Wonder Woman***

13. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

14. Batman: Year One***

15. Superman: Doomsday***

16. Batman Beyond: The Movie***

17. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

18. Superman Unbound***

19. Green Lantern: First Flight***

20. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

21. Batman: Gotham Knight**1/2

22. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

23. Justice League: Doom**

24. Justice League: War*1/2

25: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

I've been reading back through the thread... I was quite surprised when I saw War with only 1 and 1/2 stars! I take it you're not a big fan, NEG?

I really liked it. Fast paced, action packed and well drawn/acted. The -script was OK and the rebooted characters seemed to gel better than in the comic. I preferred it to Throne of Atlantis.

No Batman vs Dracula? (shrug);):D

It was the Shazam character, that destroyed it for me. He almost sunk Yhrone of Atlantis too. Ironically, I thought the idea of Shazam being a bunch of kids was the best idea in the whole movie. Yeah, I must have forgot to add Batman Vs. Dracula.

Try this one on for size.

Bruce Timm announces THE KILLING JOKE at SDCC

Following the release of Justice League: Gods and Monsters, the next DC Entertainment animated feature will be Batman: The Killing Joke.

Due out in 2016, the story will be an adaptation of the controversial and acclaimed original graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. In the comics, The Joker escapes Arkham, shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon in order to terrorize her father, Gotham City Police Commissioner Jim Gordon.

If it is anything like The Dark Knight Returns, this is going to be another DCAU hit.

Could Harley Quinn Be In The Killing Joke Animated Movie?

While the Joker’s henchwoman, Harley Quinn, was not a part of the original graphic novel, ComicBook.com learned that she may head play into the feature length animated adaptation. Earlier in the day during a roundtable discussion for producer Bruce Timm’s current production, Justice League: Gods and Monsters, we asked Timm if he had recently recorded a (then) unnamed animated feature with voice actress Tara Strong. Strong, for those who don’t know, has voiced the character Harley Quinn since the 2011 Batman video game, Batman: Arkham City. Tim confirmed that he was working on a project with Strong, but would not reveal what the project specifically was.

It was the Shazam character, that destroyed it for me. He almost sunk Yhrone of Atlantis too. Ironically, I thought the idea of Shazam being a bunch of kids was the best idea in the whole movie. Yeah, I must have forgot to add Batman Vs. Dracula.

I see what you mean. I've always liked Captain Marvel/Shazam but they tend to bring out his childishness more with the modern versions (particularly animated). He also doesn't appear to be as powerful as he used to... This guy used to give Superman a run for his money! Interesting that DC included him in the movie when he didn't feature in the original story.

Joking aside, I quite like Batman vs Dracula :shy: Must be my inner Batson ;)

Joking aside, I quite like Batman vs Dracula :shy: Must be my inner Batson ;)

I'm gonna revisit it towards Halloween. I thought it was alright enough, not as good as most solo Batman projects Under The Red Hood or Son of Batman. Surprisingly violent too, which was refreshing for a distinct edginess (the fight at the blood bank, in which the color was muted out).

Try this one on for size.

Bruce Timm announces THE KILLING JOKE at SDCC

Following the release of Justice League: Gods and Monsters, the next DC Entertainment animated feature will be Batman: The Killing Joke.

Due out in 2016, the story will be an adaptation of the controversial and acclaimed original graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. In the comics, The Joker escapes Arkham, shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon in order to terrorize her father, Gotham City Police Commissioner Jim Gordon.

If it is anything like The Dark Knight Returns, this is going to be another DCAU hit.

That will be just awesome!