• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation Hepcat will still be Hepcat.
8 8

1,113 posts in this topic

It seems here in this area A&W hasn't fared too well in the fast food wars. I think there's only one left here in town.

And that's sad because A&W root beer freshly made and on tap at the restraunt is the absolute best.

I don't know why that franchise has done so poorly here. Their burgers are a lot tastier than much of their competition too.

My friends mom was a roller waitress at A/W when she was younger.Wished I could have seen those times.We have only one restaurant left in town that still brews its own beer...the others are in food courts and the like.At the sit down family spot they still serve the RB in vintage glass mugs!

The ones with the old logo may very well have some collector value:

AampW%20Mug_zpsmnid4o8q.jpg

:)

That's so weird.

I just pulled a baby one of these out of storage last week because a friend wanted to do shots and I didn't have anything else that would work.

My oldest brother gave it to me. He said it was a fad at the time to put them in the back window of your car.

That's because they were usually stolen.

I still have the two my father brought back from a fishing trip in 1962(?). He didn't obtain them through proper channels though. He bought them.

;)

A&W root beer is really good. It's better than either Hires or Barq's. And in a frosty refrigerated mug it can't be beat!

Frosty_Root_Beer_Mug_fullsize.jpg

:cloud9:

I love A&W root beer. :cloud9:

Here's mine. It's a little different than the one above. And the logo is a single color.

nfmWoVC.jpg

JU7vCGa.jpg

I have one of those!got it at a jumble though,so not sure of the age.

Found it! :banana:

Date range: 1961-64

Manufacturer: Indiana Glass Company

Manufacturer mug type: ?

Capacity: 3 1/2 ounces

Height: 3 3/16 inches

Weight: 9 1/2 ounces

Flutes: 20

There was only one with a single color and 20 flutes.

Great website.

Interesting! The two mugs I have that my father bought evidently date back to 1951-61:

AampW%20Mug_zpsmnid4o8q.jpg

There are two freestanding A&W locations on Yonge Street in Toronto not far from my office and one on Dundas Street near my sister's house in east London. I can therefore go for a cold one almost anytime! .

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

My friends mom was a roller waitress at A/W when she was younger.Wished I could have seen those times.

Cool! I always thought roller waitresses were mainly a California thing. Where was this then? Any pictures of her in uniform?

I have no recollection going back to 1959 of the one in west London on Springbank Drive having roller waitresses. Nor do I remember any of the other three in London having roller waitresses going back to the late sixties. I'll ask my brother-in-law who's eleven years older than I am whether he remembers roller waitresses anywhere in London.

Edited by Hepcat

As its my good friends mom,illl call her this evening and see if she has any.I believe she worked at two...one ,long gone,was Walkley Road and Bank Street in Ottawas south end,and the other was somewhere in Vanier/Overbrook in the east end.She should have photos..that is where Tyran found out about it I believe.

I seem to recall Bev saying she still had the uniform hat...but that was fifteen years ago so.... (shrug)

Oh man! With all this talk about A&W's roller waitresses, now I really need to get to an A&W restaurant this week!

AampW%20Burger_zpsg1ojcblf.png

8091260316_803e6b4f14_z.jpg

AampW%20Coney%20Fries_zpsolhpuiex.jpg

AW-Rootbeer-float1.jpg

AampW_zpssaqtykvq.jpg

AampW%20R_zpspqqgtqrw.jpg

AandW.jpg

:luhv:

Edited by Hepcat

:cloud9: :cloud9:

Hep,ive been meaning to ask...do you have any of the old glass hydro tops?know what I mean?or porcelain....ive a few...some of them were filed down to make candle holders though :(

Hep,ive been meaning to ask...do you have any of the old glass hydro tops?

No, those don't interest me. They're commonly sold at bottle and glassware shows though.

Edited by Hepcat

I'll be hitting Port Stanley later this month. I'll check the condiments table at Mackie's for mayo.

We'll also be sure to stop at Shaw's Dairy bar for some ice cream on the way back.

Shaw's Ice Cream

Edited by Hepcat

Will you be having Tiger Tail?

The WOMAN's favourite! It's a Canadian innovation not widely found in the States,

I'm leaning towards pistachio..... A rare find indeed...was my gramps 'flavourite'!

I was only five or six years old when I first saw pistachio ice cream at a variety store on a family excursion to Springbank Park in London. It could have been Shaw's or Silverwood's or Borden's or Neilson's, it didn't matter. I mean green ice cream! My eyes must have bugged out. And yes, my dad bought me a two scoop cone for a dime and it was delicious!

pistachio_ice_cream_cone.jpg

:cloud9:

The pistachio almond/pistachio nut Baskin Robbins and Laura Secord serve these days isn't right though. It's not sweet enough and it doesn't have enough food colouring.

:(

Edited by Hepcat