• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,258 posts in this topic

Not really a big fan of western comics here, but this issue had a pretty good contemporary crime story, so I nabbed it.

Only two stories; one western, and one crime.

Like most Fox comics, the first story starts on the back of the cover, printed in red, and with slight water damage, it's bled through to the FC. Single digit cost though, so I can live with it. :wink:

1449ua8.jpg

World Around Us #2. An old standard but always a pleasure when I come across it after not seeing it for awhile. The downward angle is divine - imbues it with kinetic energy that would be lacking on the horizontal. Cover painting by Gerald McCann.

According to Everett Raymond Kinstler, "Gerry had a natural talent for working with dry brush in black & white ink. His detective and western work for the pulps was very graphic and strong. He did some work for Avon Comics and Classics Illustrated Comics, but I never felt that he was comfortable with comic books, or related much to that field. Gerry was a big guy. He had prematurely gray hair. He smoked cigars and cigarettes, and he liked beer and whiskey."

When asked about his prolific output, McCann said, "People often ask me how I keep coming up with fresh ideas. I tell them I drink a lot."

According to Jim Vadeboncoeur, "Gerald McCann, surprisingly enough, ended up at Dell in the early 1960s. Eventually he too just gave up on the comics. Or perhaps the comics gave up on him. Even with some softening inkers, McCann still looked right out of the 1940s. I'm sure he wasn't happy with the bastardized results, but he wasn't especially suited to the medium of comic books."

WAUIndiansfc100_zps8ba4c039.jpg

And Maneely's take again on the center line showdown. I'm a big fan of this perspective. Maneely (and others) go at it more than a few times (I'll see about editing in titles and issue numbers later) but on this cover he really nails it. It is perfection.

One 9.0 out there somewhere. Al Stoltz has a nice looking copy on Ebay, fyi.

WildWestern41fc100_zpsf92d0cd8.jpg

I still own many original art from World Around Us #2. Fabulous issue with fantastic artists.

Wonderful colors on the 21 :applause:

I also like western comics with a little darker twist...

combuffalobill_zpsb77fa4ff.jpg

comgunsmoke_zps3c1793f3.jpg

Cool! :applause:

Hey pards. Some recent buys - I'm stoked. Each one of these is their best western work imho. I may be off on the Severin, but it won't be by much.

KidColtOutlaw74fc_zpsxxoduei4.jpg

AllAmericanWestern121fc_zpsy16yjrez.jpg

AllStarWestern65fc_zpszdyrvfln.jpg

Great! Maybe we should start calling you "Doc Love." hm

Nice books. I'd agree that AAW #121 is Toth's best western cover though it has serious competition.

I also love the Severin cover on KC #74, but a tougher call on "the best' as you say. The gun firing through the flying chips and cards illustrates fast on the draw better than any other image I can think of.

Hey pards. Some recent buys - I'm stoked. Each one of these is their best western work imho. I may be off on the Severin, but it won't be by much.

AllAmericanWestern121fc_zpsy16yjrez.jpg

AllStarWestern65fc_zpszdyrvfln.jpg

Now that's a group of very nice books! Congrats Andy! (thumbs u

Now that's a group of very nice books! Congrats Andy! (thumbs u

I'm quite envious of the AAW 121.

Edited by gojira

Thanks guys!! AAW 121 - $$$. Mike feeling a little envious, and declaring it from halfway around the world? Priceless! :devil:lol

The impact of the 121 is like a physical force. It was not that long ago, a year or two perhaps, that I saw adamstrange's posting of his best in the world book and I remember distinctly how it took my breath away, so beautiful and powerful it was. Grateful to have a nice copy and the wise advice of a more seasoned collector.

Nice books. I'd agree that AAW #121 is Toth's best western cover though it has serious competition.

AllAmericanWestern113Epsonfc100_zps5ebe38f7.jpg

And I just picked up what I hope is an upgrade of this copy. Not busy by any standard, and that just makes it more difficult. To capture the viewer with one thematic element isn't easy. Marvel was fresh out of the gate on westerns and Shores turned up the juice for Mr. Goodman and nailed it.

AllWesternWinners03fc100_zpse953909d.jpg

And I just picked up what I hope is an upgrade of this copy. Not busy by any standard, and that just makes it more difficult. To capture the viewer with one thematic element isn't easy. Marvel was fresh out of the gate on westerns and Shores turned up the juice for Mr. Goodman and nailed it.

AllWesternWinners03fc100_zpse953909d.jpg

I have that short run, fun books...

Nice pickups!

Here's the prequel to the 74.

KidColt66.jpg

Ran across this in a group of my remainder comics...pretty good stories

including a 7-pager by Walter Johnson.

<a  href=https://farm1.staticflickr.com/748/20439974870_c59e3bcb0e_z.jpg' alt='20439974870_c59e3bcb0e_z.jpg'>IMG REDSKIN #1

mm

Nice pickups!

Here's the prequel to the 74.

KidColt66.jpg

I could never choose a favorite Severin western cover..... he was born to do that genre. I can't narrow it down to which issue, but I'm pretty sure it was a Severin cover that finally hooked me, once and for all, on higher grade Atlas books. The cover to Western Outlaws 20 (train cover) is very tough to beat. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u