• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

Comicnoir is correct. This time, and most times! Below is a recap of a previous conversation on the subject from 2/7/15, in the Romance thread. Great reading, btw guys - I recommend it highly if time and interest permit.

The seller of these books on Ebay is the same guy that sold the Daring Love recently, which went for a decent amount and has been relisted by the new owner for multiples of the purchase price. I understand the original seller was shocked, shocked I say! at that turnaround and contacted the buyer, who is now the new seller, demanding to know what is this all about. The implication: Was my high price too low - could I have gotten more from you? Did you get over on me?

Ebay. Sellers. People. We say the darndest things.

The cover for Romantic Story #27 is taken from Fox's My Love Memoirs #9, and the one for Sweethearts #27 is from Fox's My Life #14.

The cover to TLS #25 has a Fox book look to it as well, but I couldn't find one.

Of course, TLS #23 is taken from My Desire #4. I wonder just how many Charlton romance books recycled Fox covers. Romantic Story #28 and #29 are as well.

Good eye RJ. That's all of them. You're right about TLS (True Life Secrets) 25, it wasn't swiped form a published cover, but it's got to be a Fox all the same. I kinda feel the same way but not as strongly about Sweethearts 31.

Romantic Story 28 = swipe from My Love Affair 2 (1949) which was reused for Intimate Confessions 1 (1950)

Romantic Story 29 = swipe from My Story 9

a couple more Charltons with a Fox hangover..only one a romance

from Murder Incorporated #14 (Fox)

27CW3D.jpg

from My Secret Life #24 (Fox)

2YcOW8.jpg

What do you guys think of this one? Baker cover as the seller suggests, or not?

I am no expert...but looks like Baker to me.

Not Baker at all. The girl is taken from a Fox cover, I can't remember which. (paging Dr. Love). Baker never did any work for Fox.

Baker never did any romance work for Fox.

from My Secret Life #24 (Fox)

2YcOW8.jpg

Good one Fett! Thanks for the update. and nice books! Swipes/homage are always interesting. I remember you from your contributions to the romance thread last year - I don't think I called out your Sweethearts 122, but I should have. (thumbs u

The seller of these books on Ebay is the same guy that sold the Daring Love recently, which went for a decent amount and has been relisted by the new owner for multiples of the purchase price. I understand the original seller was shocked, shocked I say! at that turnaround and contacted the buyer, who is now the new seller, demanding to know what is this all about.

Well that takes more than a wee bit of gall! :D

taken from a photo cover from Fawcett, Life Story #18

p4xtlt.jpg

Yikes, that didn't really work out so well, did it? lol

Looks like the woman is supposed to be June Allyson. Came out looking like a zombie version. :o

Not Baker at all. The girl is taken from a Fox cover, I can't remember which. (paging Dr. Love). Baker never did any work for Fox.

I'd be curious to know which cover....just went through most of the Fox covers on comics.org and didn't see it. Might have missed it, but pretty sure not.

Yes I meant Fox Romance. After all Fox did publish Phantom Lady.

Are there any pictures of Baker doing work or with one of his books or artwork around? Just wondering. If already asked or shown, Sorry I asked. Don't get angry about it, just show me the right path to it.

Now on with the show and show of more Baker goodies!

Are there any pictures of Baker doing work or with one of his books or artwork around? Just wondering. If already asked or shown, Sorry I asked. Don't get angry about it, just show me the right path to it.

Now on with the show and show of more Baker goodies!

On p. 107 of the The Art of Glamour, there is a photo of Baker at his drafting board. In the same book, there is a sketch that Baker drew of himself with his feet up on his drafting board.

I don't recall having seen a photo of him with any of his art.

I figured he was probably aware of Baker's Phantom Lady, too.

I figured you figured that.

Too much? Rhetorical question.

I figured you figured that he figured that the figure wasn't a Baker figure.

Hello all,

I posted this message in Comics General, but thought it might help to repost here:

Due to a huge crisis that my family and I are going through at the moment among other things, I lost the majority of my e-mails. There is a client of mine who commissioned a cover recreation whose contact info I lost that I think is a board member. I am hoping that he, or someone else, sees this so we can resume contact.

The piece that he requested is a recreation of this cover:

2565533037_23812665d5_o.jpg

The link to the cover image came from this thread, so that's why I'm hoping he is a board member.

If anyone can help with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Everyone can now disregard the previous post. I bought FileSalvage and managed to locate the deleted e-mails! Problem now resolved.

Not sure the scan would have helped you much. I posted it a long time ago. Not sure where it came from. Ebay maybe...?

2565533037_23812665d5_o.jpg