• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

Is edge of spider verse #2 still spider gwens most important appearance

Yes, yes it is... With the relaunch of Spider-Gwen #1, the book to get is her first appearance IMHO. #teamslippers

Do you think so? Do you think she has staying power? I am having a conversation right now with a long time collector who thinks she might be this decades Lobo. I disagree. But I have to, I want have too many copies of too many books to agree with him :)

Invalid comparison.

Lobo didnt take off right off the gate

OM#3 never sold for more than $20-30

Lobo wasnt part of a huge demographic shift

Why would anyone even compare her to Lobo?? why not the Crow, Cerebus, Ultimate Spider man? Those are comparisons as well, but they make more sense than lobo

Edited by Aweandlorder

Further to my above point, I have 10 copies of Spider Gwen #1 right now. With a relaunch coming are they going to be worthless? I bought them meaning to resell and then was too lazy to, so they've been sitting in a long box for months :P

No idea. Since it only went 5 issues is this considered a mini?

Further to my above point, I have 10 copies of Spider Gwen #1 right now. With a relaunch coming are they going to be worthless? I bought them meaning to resell and then was too lazy to, so they've been sitting in a long box for months :P

The book has never been worth more than $3. How were you going to resell it already?

I would put her in comparison to X-23 when she came out, and X-23 still has maintained value and popularity. A little more so lately. Gwen will strive and should be popular for a long time especially Cosplay.

The book has never been worth more than $3. How were you going to resell it already?

We were moving them for $8 and then $10 at shows this spring, and there were other dealers from down East buying them at that price and selling them for $15. ;)

Conventions bring stupid prices. Everyone overprices because they got their fish cornered and supply sometimes is limited.

i feel like sometime ppl will over pay when they can get the item in hand right then, instead of the risk of eBay and online resale markets.. just what I have noticed.

EOSV2 is the next Walking Dead/TMNT

I realize you just said that to generate conversation in a thread going stale, but :roflmao:

hatersgriffin.gif

Its not hating it being patient. To compare Spider-Gwen to TMNT is far fetched in my mind. For that to have taken off there was movies (first one was much better then the rest) and a popular animation tv show coupled with action figures, tie ins to pizza, not to mention a very low printed indie comic book on those early issues. For every TMNT you have numerous Lobo's, Savage Dragon's that don't remain hot.

Edited by natevegas

I realize you just said that to generate conversation in a thread going stale, but :roflmao:

hatersgriffin.gif

Its not hating it being patient. To compare Spider-Gwen to TMNT is far fetched in my mind. For that to have taken off there was movies (first one was much better then the rest) and a popular animation tv show coupled with action figures, tie ins to pizza, not to mention a very low printed indie comic book on those early issues. For every TMNT you have numerous Lobo's, Savage Dragon's that don't remain hot.

+1

TMNT and Gwen don't even have 1% of business being compared to one another. TMNT is a global success. Mainly due to it being targeted towards children, originality, and quality. Something that often in this industry is THE key to longevity. I'm not too sure how many children actually read SG books and have the same love for a redo that may be provided with originality and a character/book made for children to grasp onto and grow with as many of us did with TMNT. The only people I have witnessed buying SG books off the shelves are flippers and late teen/20's females. Not too sure that's the same recipe for success for the long haul for her. I don't doubt she'll have her time but I feel the majority have already had their fill of her.

hatersgriffin.gif

+1

TMNT and Gwen don't even have 1% of business being compared to one another. TMNT is a global success. Mainly due to it being targeted towards children, originality, and quality. Something that often in this industry is THE key to longevity. I'm not too sure how many children actually read SG books and have the same love for a redo that may be provided with originality and a character/book made for children to grasp onto and grow with as many of us did with TMNT. The only people I have witnessed buying SG books off the shelves are flippers and late teen/20's females. Not too sure that's the same recipe for success for the long haul for her. I don't doubt she'll have her time but I feel the majority have already had their fill of her.

Im laughing reading this because you got it all mixed up.

Back when TMNT came out, it wasnt a children's comic. No. it was very grimy, B&W indie book which wasnt marketed at all as an Archie/Cartoon network type book. If you know Eastman & Laird, you already know that these two got their influences from Corben/heavy Metal to name but a few adult publishers/artists. But clever marketing and merchandising elevated them to a much broader and younger audience. Thats REALLY the main difference between SG and TMNT. But otherwise, both books rose to fame quite quickly, within months of audience reception. Both properties were attributed to a strong main current stream, TMNT with the Anthropomorphic boom of the 80s and SG with today's female reader's boom, both are/were top sellers at their peak, cosplays, etc etc etc

And yes, both comics are consumed primarily by younger readers. Period.

If you dont know this by now, you need to go out to cons more often.

The only reason why people dismiss SG so quickly is because shes new.

Thats really it.

Saying SG has no promise is foolish at best. But it will get you points for originality

If TMNT happened today, youd have the same reaction as you would to SG. Simple.

hatersgriffin.gif

+1

Im laughing reading this because you got it all mixed up.

Back when TMNT came out, it wasnt a children's comic. No. it was very grimy, B&W indie book which wasnt marketed at all as an Archie/Cartoon network type book. If you know Eastman & Laird, you already know that these two got their influences from Corben/heavy Metal to name but a few adult publishers/artists. But clever marketing and merchandising elevated them to a much broader and younger audience. Thats REALLY the main difference between SG and TMNT. But otherwise, both books rose to fame quite quickly, within months of audience reception. Both properties were attributed to a strong main current stream, TMNT with the Anthropomorphic boom of the 80s and SG with today's female reader's boom, both are/were top sellers at their peak, cosplays, etc etc etc

And yes, both comics are consumed primarily by younger readers. Period.

If you dont know this by now, you need to go out to cons more often.

The only reason why people dismiss SG so quickly is because shes new.

Thats really it.

Saying SG has no promise is foolish at best. But it will get you points for originality

If TMNT happened today, youd have the same reaction as you would to SG. Simple.

You honestly believe the readers of SG books today will be reading them in 20 years? On what, the 20th reboot? Will they be eager for a reboot of a SG movie? Wearing a SG t-shirt? Getting a SG tattoo? That's the reality of TMNT. I attend several cons a year, yes I see the few SG cosplays. Point being what? That a few out of the bunch like her outfit and don't even read the comic? Yeah, I see that too. I definitely don't see attendees hunting for copies of SG books, because they are a dime a dozen. they want one, they buy one. No real buy in IMO that comes with the want and hunt.

SG is new? I'll give you trendy but definitely not new. It's been done a few times so she'll always have a * next to her name in many people's eyes. I won't say she doesn't have promise, who knows how long Marvel will pimp her out and force her down everyone's throats hoping it sticks for the long haul.

I was buying early issue TMNT books (#1 and on) off the shelves in the 80's as a child as many of my friends because it was pitched as a kids comic to us. It was definitely on many collectors radar in the B/W craze but I can't speak to the fact if they were actually reading and enjoying them as kids were. When something is hard to get many people want it more. It's human nature in our society. The rarity of TMNT added to the buzz of the comic itself. Just like Apple being sold out on the new iPhone on the day of its release, or the next gaming console. It's strategy that makes people want it more, not because they just didn't feel like making any more.

If SG succeeds for decades, cool. I don't see it happening at the magnitude she WAS at just a few months ago. So I just don't see the appropriate comparison to TMNT, at all. If something I felt was quality and had the originality of TMNT I would not doubt its potential at all.

I'm not anti Gwen either. TMNT is a classic from the get go. Plain and simple. SG is not.

Cosplay is a factor, how many kids you see wearing Deadpool hoodies and tshirts, every teenage loves this character. Deadpool finally gets a movie years after being released, and let's face it in the first two years of the character was popular but took off to the stratosphere with his monthly series.

Gwen has cosplay appeal big time, Harley has cosplay appeal - woman are coming into the market more and more and you see 1st appearances of the character moving up do to demand. Just watching Comic Book Men, every 2nd episode a woman comes in to buy a popular first appearance of a character.

I don't have any investment in SG as I missed the boat big time on this, and everyday I regret it. I could probably suck it up to buy a few Edge 2 at around 100.00 bills however I have other key issues that being purchased at the time. I am envious anyone who got the jump on this, as Gwen will be here for a long time. Nothing would shock me if 616 Peter winds up with her somewhere down the road for nostalgia sakes.

Just my 2 cents.