• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC & Marvel movie road ahead - 2015 to 2020
1 1

548 posts in this topic

Problem with most of Hollywood is that many (if not most) are very Alan Moore-esque; in that they don't play well with others. They don't do well when constrained by needing to work within defined limits. They want to tell the story that they want to tell and how they want to tell it & if they don't get to tell it that way, then it's "ruining cinema!"

And while those guys are great & can tell cool original stories, it's like they forget that those are not the only stories to be told in that medium.

They also don't like that their interesting, original & "artistically unspoiled" movie won't be the movie that the studio relies upon to make all the money that year & save their box office take for the year. Or that they won't get the kind of budget that a movie like the Hunger Games or Avengers or Batman will, with a built-in audience getting carried over from another medium. Those are all shots to the ego of a group of people that are seriously ego-centric.

:applause:

"We’re trying to break a story. It’s interesting, because there’s a really popular TV show out there, and we’re trying to carve out space for the movie that’s apart from that. I think we’re doing alright. … I believe [our Flash] is going to be Barry Allen. … It’s going to be it’s own [thing, apart from the TV show] — we’re more trying to stick with the cinematic universe… it really is its own thing, and kind of a stand-alone movie. We’re just trying to think of the best story. I think you guys will like it, it’s kind of a different take on superhero stuff."

I think that virtually everything in that quote concerns me. If you have a popular TV show on the Flash, I'm not sure why having some completely different Flash might not be confusing or off-putting to fans of the show. I also automatically get worried anytime someone at a studio says something like "it's kind of a different take on superhero stuff". Like the formula that has been making a s***ton of money for the past decade isn't working and they've finally figured out what will. :eek:

"We’re trying to break a story. It’s interesting, because there’s a really popular TV show out there, and we’re trying to carve out space for the movie that’s apart from that. I think we’re doing alright. … I believe [our Flash] is going to be Barry Allen. … It’s going to be it’s own [thing, apart from the TV show] — we’re more trying to stick with the cinematic universe… it really is its own thing, and kind of a stand-alone movie. We’re just trying to think of the best story. I think you guys will like it, it’s kind of a different take on superhero stuff."

I think that virtually everything in that quote concerns me. If you have a popular TV show on the Flash, I'm not sure why having some completely different Flash might not be confusing or off-putting to fans of the show. I also automatically get worried anytime someone at a studio says something like "it's kind of a different take on superhero stuff". Like the formula that has been making a s***ton of money for the past decade isn't working and they've finally figured out what will. :eek:

Not always. Guardians of the Galaxy was a different take on the superhero genre(humorous rather than dark and gritty) and that seemed to work out okay.

EXORCIST director says superhero's are ruining movies

Speaking at the Champs-Elysees Film Festival in Paris, William Friedkin, the Oscar-winning director of The French Connection and The Exorcist said “Today cinema in America is all about Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Avengers, Hunger Games: all kinds of stuff that I have no interest in seeing at all."

Maybe he should look at all the movies coming out from now to 2020, and then think how much cinema attendees WANT these silly superhero movies.

Well...guess who will never get a chance at directing a multi-million dollar blockbuster superhero movie now! Smart move!

I mean, I'm not a huge Walmart fan but I'm not going to publicly bash them just in case I may need them as a job in the future...

Speaking at the Champs-Elysees Film Festival in Paris, William Friedkin, the Oscar-winning director of The French Connection and The Exorcist said “Today cinema in America is all about Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Avengers, Hunger Games: all kinds of stuff that I have no interest in seeing at all."

Maybe he should look at all the movies coming out from now to 2020, and then think how much cinema attendees WANT these silly superhero movies.

Well...guess who will never get a chance at directing a multi-million dollar blockbuster superhero movie now! Smart move!

I mean, I'm not a huge Walmart fan but I'm not going to publicly bash them just in case I may need them as a job in the future...

He's 80-years-old. I don't begrudge him telling it like it is. The era of superhero films has been great for us geeks, but terrible for writers, directors, and actors. Fewer films are getting made, and when they do get made, it's hard to get them into theaters because all the screens are occupied by superhero films.

It's harder than ever to break into Hollywood. The age of the spec -script sale is dead. Studios are banking on known properties: superheroes, films based on Toys, remakes, etc., and they're hiring a smaller and smaller established group of writers and directors to adapt them.

The original idea isn't bankable.

I can see what he is talking about from an "art" standpoint and will always give him props for passing on Exorcist II: The Heretic to work on the outstanding "Sorcerer" (Exorcist was the #1 movie of all time a couple years before Jaws). But then again, it sounds like sour grapes too, from the guy that directed "The Guardian". lol

I think that virtually everything in that quote concerns me. If you have a popular TV show on the Flash, I'm not sure why having some completely different Flash might not be confusing or off-putting to fans of the show. I also automatically get worried anytime someone at a studio says something like "it's kind of a different take on superhero stuff". Like the formula that has been making a s*** ton of money for the past decade isn't working and they've finally figured out what will. :eek:

Not always. Guardians of the Galaxy was a different take on the superhero genre(humorous rather than dark and gritty) and that seemed to work out okay.

I'm not sure that it was that much of a departure from the Marvel formula, other than the unusual cast of characters. The GOTG aren't "super heroes" in the traditional sense, and the setting was more cosmic than the other films, but otherwise the action/humor formula that has been there for all the Marvel movies was apparent.

:news:UPDATE: Removing the 2015 movies that have already hit the market. :news:

• July 1, 2015 – Terminator: Genisys (Terminator 1)
  • July 17, 2015 – Ant-Man
  • July 31, 2015 – Mission Impossible 5
  • August 7, 2015 – Fantastic Four
  • August 7, 2015 – Poltergeist (2015)
  • August 14, 2015 – The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
  • August 28, 2015 – Hitman: Agent 47
  • September 18, 2015 – Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
  • September 25, 2015 – Hotel Transylvania 2
  • October 2, 2015 – The Martian (Fox)
  • October 9, 2015 – The Jungle Book (Disney)
  • October 16, 2015 – Bridge of Spies (DreamWorks/Disney)
  • October 16, 2015 – Goosebumps
  • November 6, 2015 – Spectre (Bond 24)
  • November 6, 2015 – Peanuts
  • November 13, 2015 – Friday the 13th (2015)
  • November 20, 2015 – The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
  • November 25, 2015 – The Good Dinosaur (Pixar)
  • November 25, 2015 – Victor Frankenstein (2015)
  • December 18, 2015 – Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Lucasfilm/Disney)
  • December 18, 2015 – Point Break (2015)
  • December 18, 2015 – Snowden

• February 12, 2016 - Deadpool (Fox)
  • March 4, 2016 – Untitled Disney animated movie
  • March 11, 2016 – Warcraft
  • March 25, 2016 – Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
  • May 6, 2016 – Captain America: Civil War
  • May 27, 2016 – X-Men: Apocalypse
  • May 27, 2016 – Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass
  • June 3, 2016 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
  • June 17, 2016 - How To Train Your Dragon 3
  • July 1, 2016 – Independence Day 2
  • July 8, 2016 – Star Trek 3
  • July 22, 2016 – Power Rangers
  • August 5, 2016 – Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayers)
  • October 7, 2016 – Gambit (Fox)
  • November 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange
  • November 11, 2016 – Sinister Six
  • November 23, 2016 – Moana (Disney)
  • December 16, 2016 – Rogue One (Star Wars standalone movie)

• 2017 – Bloodshot
  • February 10, 2017 – The LEGO Batman Movie
  • March 3, 2017 – Wolverine 3 (Untitled)
  • March 10, 2017 – Kong: Skull Island
  • March 24, 2017 - The Mummy
  • May 5, 2017 – Guardians of the Galaxy 2
  • May 19, 2017 – Terminator 2
  • May 26, 2017 – Star Wars: Episode VIII
  • June 9, 2017 – Fantastic Four 2
  • June 23, 2017 – Wonder Woman
  • July 17, 2017 – Planet of the Apes 3
  • July 28, 2017 – Spectacular Spider-Man (Marvel/Sony)
  • August 4th, 2017 - Pacific Rim 2
  • November 3, 2017 - THOR: Ragnarok!
  • November 17, 2017 - Justice League, Part One

• March 23, 2018 – The Flash (starring Ezra Miller)
  • March 30, 2018 – 'Universal Monster Franchise Film'
  • May 4, 2018 - Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1
  • May 18, 2018 – The LEGO Movie 2
  • June 29, 2018 - Terminator 3
  • July 6, 2018 - Black Panther
  • July 13, 2018 – Unannounced X-Men Movie
  • July 20, 2018 – Animated Spider-Man (Sony)
  • July 27, 2018 – Aquaman (starring Jason Mamoa)
  • November 2, 2018 - Captain Marvel (Marvel)

• April 5th, 2019 – Shazam (starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson)
  • May 3, 2019 - Avengers: Infinity War, Part 2
  • June 14th, 2019 – Justice League, Part Two
  • July 12, 2019 - The Inhumans (Marvel)

• April 3rd, 2020 – Cyborg (starring Ray Fisher)
  • June 19th, 2020 – Green Lantern reboot

I believe Power Rangers got moved to Jan. 2017.

POWER RANGERS 2017

and I read on one of the Universal Monster forums

that Kong Island and the MUMMY are too close to each other for opening dates. Both Kong and Mummy reboots are by Universal, so they don`t want them so close together.

•March 10, 2017 – Kong: Skull Island

•March 24, 2017 - The Mummy

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

The Fantastic Four Could Meet the X-Men Onscreen in 2018

If Josh Trank’s reboot of Fantastic Four can manage not to suck, and Fantastic Four 2 in 2018 isn’t a complete disaster in the production phase, AND assuming X-Men: Apocalypse doesn’t nose dive the entire franchise, the current plan is to have 2018’s Fox comic book movie be a crossover film that features the X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

Presumably they would keep Trank’s FF cast, though who would comprise the X-Men is still as unclear as when Channing Tatum will give us some real details about Gambit.

Spider-Man, Thor 3, Doctor Strange, & GOTG 2 Filming Dates Revealed

Speaking to Collider, Feige dropped rough production start dates Doctor Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, the next Spider-Man movie, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2:

“We literally just crossed the halfway mark of Civil War last week, its day 42 or 43 of 80. We start filming Doctor Strange in London in November. We start shooting Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 in February-March [2016]. We start filming Thor: Ragnarok and Spider-Man around the same time, around June of next year.”

I was actually thinking about these the other day.

Kevin Feige Sheds Some Light On The Recent Lack Of MARVEL ONE-SHOTS

When Collider pointed out that many fans are disappointed that they haven't been featured on a Blu-ray for a while, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige replied: "I’m disappointed too! Frankly, and I think it would be great to see more one-shots. We’ll see…"

However, Feige couldn't provide any solid details, and it appears as if the decision to scrap the One Shots wasn't his. "You look at me as if I’m the only person who controls that decision; I wish that were the case. But I think when the opportunity arises we would do it, we would jump on it. There is a backlog of ideas for one-shots that we haven’t done yet."

I was actually thinking about these the other day.

Kevin Feige Sheds Some Light On The Recent Lack Of MARVEL ONE-SHOTS

When Collider pointed out that many fans are disappointed that they haven't been featured on a Blu-ray for a while, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige replied: "I’m disappointed too! Frankly, and I think it would be great to see more one-shots. We’ll see…"

However, Feige couldn't provide any solid details, and it appears as if the decision to scrap the One Shots wasn't his. "You look at me as if I’m the only person who controls that decision; I wish that were the case. But I think when the opportunity arises we would do it, we would jump on it. There is a backlog of ideas for one-shots that we haven’t done yet."

hmmm..... maybe they could have used one to explain what made tony get back in the suit.

Maybe they can delay the release of a blu ray to allow for an extra few weeks to actually get one filmed?

Though in fairness, I think a lot of this has to do with reallocation of equipment & personnel with their expanded tv & film release schedules. Marvel went from needing to produce 22 hour-long (42-minute tv hours) network tv episodes in year 1 of Marvel TV to 30 hour-long network tv episodes PLUS another 26 ACTUAL hours of TV in year 2. They're also in the process of increasing the frequency of their film offerings starting next year (I believe, or 2017 at the latest) to 3-per-year up from 2. And they need all the support staff, writers, directors, free time for actors that want to do it (and work out how those shorts impact their contracts). All of which is union. That's a lot of people to hire & lay-off & equipment to allocate (from craft service tables all the way up to lights & cameras) unless they can find a way to shoot in some back corner existing sets with existing costumes & personnel & equipment & whatnot that are already on-site.

Justice League Movie -script Is Already Complete

Justice League: Part One isn’t scheduled to hit movie theaters until November 17, 2017. However, according to a new report in the Comic-Con print edition of Entertainment Weekly, Warner Bros. already has a complete -script for the film.

Argo screenwriter Chris Terrio, who was brought in to rewrite the Batman V. Superman -script, has reportedly already finished the -script for Justice League. According to EW, Terrio and director Zack Snyder locked themselves in a room with a large supply of Diet Coke to help them stay alert as they plotted the films.

:o

Justice League Movie -script Is Already Complete

Justice League: Part One isn’t scheduled to hit movie theaters until November 17, 2017. However, according to a new report in the Comic-Con print edition of Entertainment Weekly, Warner Bros. already has a complete -script for the film.

Argo screenwriter Chris Terrio, who was brought in to rewrite the Batman V. Superman -script, has reportedly already finished the -script for Justice League. According to EW, Terrio and director Zack Snyder locked themselves in a room with a large supply of Diet Coke to help them stay alert as they plotted the films.

:o

:banana:

Ben Affleck To Team With DC’s Geoff Johns On Stand-Alone ‘Batman’ Film: Comic Con

As soon as Ben Affleck was officially announced as our new Caped Crusader in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice, fans wondered if he might possibly helm a solo outing for the character at some point. Recently we heard rumors that he was being lined up to do just that, and now Deadline seems to have made it official: Ben Affleck will team up with Geoff Johns to write a Batman movie, which he will also direct as soon as work is complete on his adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel Live By Night.

According to the site, the pair are "well in synch and have more than found their rhythm", and are expected to turn in a -script before the end of the summer.

:o:o:o