• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

19266516875_62b9ef7f62_b.jpg

It isn't from my Timely or even my picture but I did admire this splash and the story title so much that I thought it needed to be posted. I have always thought that Cap stories were some of the best golden age.

Thanks! It was fun taking a broad look at the evolution of Alex's work. :hi:

Very well thought out Cat (thumbs u With the exception of your Subby 10, you visually left out the period that is one of my very favorites of his work: Late 1942 - 1943. While you & I collect in a different grade range, I hope you'll enjoy these lesser grade examples all the same :)

Cover date 10/42

marvel36_zps6a26d0e6.jpg

Cover date 5/43

marvel43_zps5956ef96.jpg

cap26.jpg

Cover date 6/43

cap2735_zpsc34394dc.jpg

Cover date 7/43

cap28s-2.jpg

Cover date 8/43 (referencing issue 29)

cap2729.jpg

Cover date 10/43

cap31-1_zps1ba4e9d4.jpg

The comics pictured above represent some of my favorite Schomburg covered issues from 10/42 - 10/43 that I personally own. There are many others in that timeframe that I currently do not have a copy of in my collection. This period is a favorite for several reasons: My favorite string of Schomburg Cap's 26 - 33, Schomburg is at his most inventive peak (my opinion, but think of how many in this era are considered "classics") & before they start to look more "cookie-cutter", the issues hadn't shrunk in size yet - still big fat funny books, only within the last half dozen years or so have many of them taken off in price. Some are still VERY affordable!!! All of this is just my opinion, agree or disagree, I'm sure we can ALL agree that Alex Schomburg has made Golden Age much more interesting & fun to collect (worship)

Another finny animal Timely...

terrytoons07.jpg

EXACTLY!

Wow. These "funny animals" don't mess around! Not only are they going to feed Hitler to sharks that duck put one in Hitler's 10 ring! :fear:

Thanks! It was fun taking a broad look at the evolution of Alex's work. :hi:

Very well thought out Cat (thumbs u With the exception of your Subby 10, you visually left out the period that is one of my very favorites of his work: Late 1942 - 1943. While you & I collect in a different grade range, I hope you'll enjoy these lesser grade examples all the same :)

Cover date 10/42

marvel36_zps6a26d0e6.jpg

Cover date 5/43

marvel43_zps5956ef96.jpg

cap26.jpg

Cover date 6/43

cap2735_zpsc34394dc.jpg

Cover date 7/43

cap28s-2.jpg

Cover date 8/43 (referencing issue 29)

cap2729.jpg

Cover date 10/43

cap31-1_zps1ba4e9d4.jpg

The comics pictured above represent some of my favorite Schomburg covered issues from 10/42 - 10/43 that I personally own. There are many others in that timeframe that I currently do not have a copy of in my collection. This period is a favorite for several reasons: My favorite string of Schomburg Cap's 26 - 33, Schomburg is at his most inventive peak (my opinion, but think of how many in this era are considered "classics") & before they start to look more "cookie-cutter", the issues hadn't shrunk in size yet - still big fat funny books, only within the last half dozen years or so have many of them taken off in price. Some are still VERY affordable!!! All of this is just my opinion, agree or disagree, I'm sure we can ALL agree that Alex Schomburg has made Golden Age much more interesting & fun to collect (worship)

Thanks! Alex was da bomb! You're dead-on about that string of classic war covers. As far as the cookie-cutter stylization, Schomburg was in such demand during this period by different publishers that he was probably under a lot of pressure to streamline his scenes for a quick turnaround in order to meet deadlines. His work didn't suffer that much from it quality-wise, but the more inventive scenarios became fewer.

To be fair to the on-again off-again Cap cover artists like Syd Shores and Al Avison, there are justifiable reasons for not mourning Bucky's demise in the late GA series. Maybe it's just me, but I think adding the Golden Girl character was a big plus for Cap's evolution. Her partnership afforded Cap an opportunity to shine as both a heroic mentor and dashing romantic lead...

8e141e10-2a9a-4ca6-8552-8023fd510267_zpstcrqf5pn.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Golden Girl origin[/font]

CA71-1A_zpsdf080be0.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Cap and Golden Girl (in costume)[/font]

We can only speculate how the series might've evolved if Golden Girl had remained by Cap's side beyond '49.

Who knows, a more debonaire Cap might've grown a well-groomed beard or mustache like the Angel... :o

82605082-4f91-49ce-848c-e8d991347f6d_zpspjuuelri.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Golden Girl (Haileigh Todd) and Bucky-less Cap (???)[/font]

I've always thought that at a certain point (perhaps 1944ish), that his covers had a similar enough quality that you could interchange Cap with someone like ... say .... The Black Terror in the Nedor line and nobody would be the wiser. TREMENDOUS output by Schomburg can perhaps lead people to take him & his work for granted, which I think is a shame.

Example: Wouldn't this book be worth a TON more if Cap & Bucky's images replaced that of The Black Terror & Tim???? (Sorry, I know it's not a Timely)!!

exciting35large_zps64602744.jpg

I know what you mean about Bucky holding Cap back at times. I've always loved the covers where Cap gets to rescue a babe!!! Too bad there aren't more of them :sorry:

cap31-1_zps1ba4e9d4.jpg

Although not a Schomburg, still a rare Cap opportunity to "save a babe" :applause: AND a GREAT job by Syd Shores!!!

CaptaqinAmerica34CGCSS_zps418a65a3.jpg

Kirby's take on Cap saving a babe

cap7.jpg

Even Avison got an opportunity to have Cap help a hottie (btw, this book is a 2.5 now!!!)

cap16.jpg

I haven't done a photo journal check, but there can't be many more Cap-rescues-a-babe covers than the ones I've posted. Too bad really .... he's such a natural ....