• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

The one on the bay? It sold for a nice price below market value, maybe because of the rusty staple. I have a 5.5 and paid more for it.

Star Spangled 84 is a great and under valued key, but it's also a tough one.

This is under-rated little gem by the under-rated grandenetti with a beautiful color design. :applause:

New addition, thanks to the Gentleman who posted above this post. Highest graded and white pages on top of that. :)

DSC_0020%20810x1280_zps2gtphtwu.jpg

New addition, thanks to the Gentleman who posted above this post. Highest graded and white pages on top of that. :)

DSC_0020%20810x1280_zps2gtphtwu.jpg

:applause:

Thank you again for this beauty Andy! (worship)

Yes , beautiful color schemes on this all around great comic cover and

also a rarely depicted "Korean War" cover !! DC big 5 war comics almost never depicted the Korean War.... this might just be the only one !!,

Now Atlas War on the other hand....the majority was Korean War

OAAW #27

A frogman in very shallow water has just been stepped on by a marching enemy soldier- yellow cover, a pretty unique cover especially for OAAW.

someday i will learn how to post photo's

Can you post a couple of pictures for me please?

Hi Andy, thank you for teaching me the photo-bucket!

I enjoy reading military history as a hobby except I have never read much about frogmen, I believe the Italians may have sunk a couple of British ships in the Mediterranean, maybe even a heavy cruiser, I may have to read about their exploits someday,... right now I am in the middle of a great book on Midway called "Shattered Sword".

If this is not an actual frogman cover (The cover says: Diary of a frogman) it is as close as it get in the OAAW pre Sgt Rock 1-80 run

Looking for some advice on putting together a complete run of the Big5 books. During the last year I've been buying issues from all of the titles when I see a good deal. But that seemed a bit unfocused, so over the last couple of months, I've been focusing on GIC, but I get the feeling I'm letting deals slip away on the other titles.

So what is the most efficient way to put together a run?

Looking for some advice on putting together a complete run of the Big5 books. During the last year I've been buying issues from all of the titles when I see a good deal. But that seemed a bit unfocused, so over the last couple of months, I've been focusing on GIC, but I get the feeling I'm letting deals slip away on the other titles.

When I was going after these books, I had my checklist of all the books and just went after anything that I didn't have. I only avoided books with detached covers, all else was fair game.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go after books that were 4.0 and above. But, don't limit yourself by buying one title at a time, because as you suspected, some decent books (or decent deals) will slip right by you.

Good luck!

If I recall correctly, thirdgreenham has done the complete set of the Big Five, at least twice (which, btw, is a ridiculously amazing accomplishment).

He posts here regularly.

Or you could PM him.

Thanks. (thumbs u

If I recall correctly, thirdgreenham has done the complete set of the Big Five, at least twice (which, btw, is a ridiculously amazing accomplishment).

One of those times he did it blind-folded with one hand tied behind his back!

When I was going after these books, I had my checklist of all the books and just went after anything that I didn't have. I only avoided books with detached covers, all else was fair game.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go after books that were 4.0 and above. But, don't limit yourself by buying one title at a time, because as you suspected, some decent books (or decent deals) will slip right by you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to get at least 4.0 (for the SA stuff), but if it has an intact cover and the price is good, I've been buying those too. I can always sell off the under copies down the road.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to get at least 4.0 (for the SA stuff), but if it has an intact cover and the price is good, I've been buying those too. I can always sell off the under copies down the road.

I once had the notion to go for this as well but the fact that I would have to buy portions of runs that I didn't care about killed it for me. I love Big 5 war books, but there are parts of runs on OFF, AAMOW, and SSWS that I have zero interest in buying.

Good luck!

I once had the notion to go for this as well but the fact that I would have to buy portions of runs that I didn't care about killed it for me. I love Big 5 war books, but there are parts of runs on OFF, AAMOW, and SSWS that I have zero interest in buying.

For me, that is not the case.

I like each and every comic of the Big 5.

Good luck!

I didn't think I would like the Dinos in SSWS, but I found them a fun read. Guns and Dinos, what is not to like.