• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

I agree and if you've actually been collecting these books for a while the market today is as crazed as it gets. I just don't know that I'd put BB 34 into the grouping of movie, speculation crazed books like we've seen in the past 10 years that were basically obsolete then became hot overnight.

No matter what any of us do or do not think about movie/tv/media-fueled speculation, there's also this:

All this stuff is worth "something", because many people buy into some version of a conversation about the book that goes like this:

"If the first appearance of Character A is worth $100, then the first appearance of Character B should be worth about $85, because it's from the same year and Character B is slightly less important."

There are other factors like scarcity, creator, etc that we'd consider. And we've had approximately 1,375,432 conversations like that on this board. It's fun, and because most of us buy into them to a greater or lesser extent, we make them true [none of this is worth anything if we don't all buy into this idea of relative importance in some form. If we don't, it's just crumbling old paper.]

Jumping to the point -- even without any sort of hype on any given day, when the top sale in the hobby goes from $350k to $3.2 million in a 5-year period, you're going to have a lot of people revisiting those comparisons and deciding if they mean something different now, or not.

A decade ago, Book A was worth $100,000, and Book G-23 was worth $5,000.

If Book A is now worth $1.5 Million, is Book G-23 now worth $75,000? Or maybe "just" $25,000?

The rules are different now, but how different? hm

I think that goes just as far towards explaining some anomalous valuations as movie hype does.

This.

Don't know if anyone mentioned SC22 but it's apparent there've been many new GPA highs in some of the mid and lower grades lately.

Add that to the new GL movie rumors and you've got a perfect storm of resurgence value.

Mordo? It's a "sleeper" because know one knew. Why did no one know? Because no one cares. I'll say it now, that one's going the way of the Mandarin after the movie's done. Don't get stuck without a dance partner when the music stops...

You must have never read Dr. Strange, as Mordo is among the foremost nemesis of Dr. Strange, more or less what Dr. Doom is to the Fantastic Four.

I guess we can put Showcase #22 back on the list:

SDCC '15: WB/DC Announce GREEN LANTERN CORPS Feature Film!

This film was announced last year; today they announced the title. SC 22 should have picked up last year but it didn't, but GPA shows upward movement over the last 45 days or so with the Chris Pine rumors.