• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hey guys! Name's Randall, but Mef suits me better. I am nearly 30 and I've been collecting since I can remember. My tastes vary across the full spectrum of comics, if I like the story or the cover art and the price is right I'll take it!

I love Marvel most of all, but I do love me some Batman. I still buy current runs of most Marvel titles so I'm always down for some theorycrafting.

One comic that has eluded me far too long is Hulk #181! This is my year, and you guys will be the first to know! I've decided it has to be graded! I have a desire to collect keys from all ages in as good a shape as possible, while owning several, I have only recently started wanting graded books for the quality guarantee. I hope to spend a large amount of time chatting with all of you, and I can't wait to start learning and contributing.

Mef

Hey guys! Name's Randall, but Mef suits me better. I am nearly 30 and I've been collecting since I can remember. My tastes vary across the full spectrum of comics, if I like the story or the cover art and the price is right I'll take it!

I love Marvel most of all, but I do love me some Batman. I still buy current runs of most Marvel titles so I'm always down for some theorycrafting.

One comic that has eluded me far too long is Hulk #181! This is my year, and you guys will be the first to know! I've decided it has to be graded! I have a desire to collect keys from all ages in as good a shape as possible, while owning several, I have only recently started wanting graded books for the quality guarantee. I hope to spend a large amount of time chatting with all of you, and I can't wait to start learning and contributing.

Mef

Welcome mef. :applause:

Ok- I love comics- I have been a lurker on these forums for many moons, but felt it was time to join in.

I have been a collector off and on for decades. My problem is, I build up a collection, only to sell it off, then a few years later, I get the urge and jump back in. My reasons for selling are varied; one time I've lost complete interest, one time I felt I was getting too old for the funny books, and a few occasions, I just plain wanted extra money to apply to other passions. My most recent being, I sold my collection and put that portion of money into a 1955 Mercury Monterey (it's a great car and my current daily driver).

So here I am- a year after that transaction, and I want to get back into comics AGAIN. It is frustrating, because while I have never had any major hitters (no FF 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, No X-Men 1 or GS X-Men 1, no Hulk 181), I did have some decent books in my time (higher grade Cap 100, Iron Man 1, Hulk 102, Luke Cage 1, etc.). I mostly like Silver and Bronze age Marvel, and enjoy key books as well as put together runs.

I went to a large show a few weeks ago, and noticed that prices were pretty crazy, even from the time I sold my collection off last year.

Question- To any of you who may have done similar and sold off your entire collections- how (without going completely broke), were you able to rebuild your collection from scratch again?

Do you get sellers remorse? I feel like I am going through it now. But I have to remind myself I have a car that the money went towards.

Tips?

CHEERS!

Edited by Mercury Man

brand new to the site. Referred here from other site. I hope to find last few back issues of X23 vol 2. That is my main goal here. Born in 1981 so I am old enough to know that "Rocko's Modern Life" is Nickelodeon's great show ever. Buying comics when not buying guitars. ummm...2 kids and divorced which is actually pretty awesome.

Evening,

Lurker to the site for a few months, and getting back into collecting. Long story short I had a full run of Avengers and a near full run of X-Men that I sold in the late 90's to help with the cost of med school due to underwhelming financial aid. Finally back into the scene.

Ok- I love comics- I have been a lurker on these forums for many moons, but felt it was time to join in.

I have been a collector off and on for decades. My problem is, I build up a collection, only to sell it off, then a few years later, I get the urge and jump back in. My reasons for selling are varied; one time I've lost complete interest, one time I felt I was getting too old for the funny books, and a few occasions, I just plain wanted extra money to apply to other passions. My most recent being, I sold my collection and put that portion of money into a 1955 Mercury Monterey (it's a great car and my current daily driver).

So here I am- a year after that transaction, and I want to get back into comics AGAIN. It is frustrating, because while I have never had any major hitters (no FF 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, No X-Men 1 or GS X-Men 1, no Hulk 181), I did have some decent books in my time (higher grade Cap 100, Iron Man 1, Hulk 102, Luke Cage 1, etc.). I mostly like Silver and Bronze age Marvel, and enjoy key books as well as put together runs.

I went to a large show a few weeks ago, and noticed that prices were pretty crazy, even from the time I sold my collection off last year.

Question- To any of you who may have done similar and sold off your entire collections- how (without going completely broke), were you able to rebuild your collection from scratch again?

Do you get sellers remorse? I feel like I am going through it now. But I have to remind myself I have a car that the money went towards.

Tips?

CHEERS!

You don't have to rebuild the collection the same as it once was. Typically, people's collecting interests change and given a second chance, they would end up buying something a bit different, or perhaps focusing more.

Think of this time around on a positive note. You can choose exactly what you'd like to collect this time around. That will save you some money by not spending cash on secondary interests. Focus on what you really enjoy and head that way. 2c

Andy

brand new to the site. Referred here from other site. I hope to find last few back issues of X23 vol 2. That is my main goal here. Born in 1981 so I am old enough to know that "Rocko's Modern Life" is Nickelodeon's great show ever. Buying comics when not buying guitars. ummm...2 kids and divorced which is actually pretty awesome.

:hi: welcome!

Evening,

Lurker to the site for a few months, and getting back into collecting. Long story short I had a full run of Avengers and a near full run of X-Men that I sold in the late 90's to help with the cost of med school due to underwhelming financial aid. Finally back into the scene.

Welcome back into the collecting world. :applause:

There's a lot of great guys here with oodles of knowledge. (And quite a few without :gossip: )

Enjoy your time here and don't be afraid to join in some conversations. (thumbs u

Evening,

Welcome,it's about time we get more doctors here. There's just too many damn attorney's. :applause:

Evening,

Welcome,it's about time we get more doctors here. There's just too many damn attorney's. :applause:

Nah, too many doctors as well. What we really need is more lumberjacks and exterminators. Welcome one and all. And I'd like to echo what Andy said. Don't try to rebuild your old collection, Take this as an opportunity to totally change your focus. There are so many cool comics out there.

Evening,

Nah, too many doctors as well. What we really need is more lumberjacks and exterminators. Welcome one and all. And I'd like to echo what Andy said. Don't try to rebuild your old collection, Take this as an opportunity to totally change your focus. There are so many cool comics out there.

:roflmao:

Hi All

Have been lurking on the site for the past few days and finally got around to saying hi.

I myself have never greatly been into comic books, as I was never really into Marvel or DC or indeed any of the stories out there. That was until the modern run of Doctor Who comics started up (since I am a huge fan). My brother (not on this forum) collects Marvel comics so often I am on the look out for him, which led me here after learning more about grading. Personally I am keeping my comics ungraded for now, maybe apart from one or two variants i like and would look nice in a case. Looking forward to learning a lot on this forum and will likely post from time to time (although there isn't much on my own collection here).

Oh and also, my name is Phil, but for the past 9 years I have been known as Pip.