• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

Is there a thread of the top 10 worst Stan signatures?

Nope, but this has to be at the top of the list.

Maybe this was a joke? Or the owner just wanted Stan to deface the cover?

I have no explanation for this one hm

it goes like this

"Hi Stan, I'm a big fan. Can you please draw a spider for me?"

"I'm not really an artist."

"No problem, I understand. Nevertheless, I'd still love to have the spider..."

"Ok.... here goes! Whoops, sorry it doesn't look great, I told you I'm not a great artist."

Why not just have stan sign the slab with some sort of ink that does not come off slab material?

Because then you couldn't get it authenticated or sell it as a Stan Lee sig. This way, you satisfy both the comic purists and the sig specualtors by having it both ways. I also think it opens up the market, as if this method was used to protect the comic, I would be interested in some sig series books.

But CGC will never change it to the proper method, as then the initial run of "scrawled on books" will have a serious stigma attached to them. Then again, demand for CGC sig grading would increase with people wanting both high-grade books and a verified sig-on-plastic/Mylar, so you never know.

it's sad that jack kirby never signed a book and i'm guessing john buscema might not have either (was sig series around in 2000/2001?). all those fans and, amazingly, they never autographed a book, although there are thousands of books with their names written on the covers, those are just scribbles i suppose

frankly, i don't mind there no longer being a mark-up to a signature (w/out spending $50 for a SS), i had john romita sr. autograph a bunch of mid-grade SA spideys because i thought it was cool and wanted to meet him, but i do mind that now that signature is treated the same by cgc as a child's scribble on the cover

But it's an interesting thought. hm

I'd recommended this a million times before, but the optimal solution is:

To have the creator sign a comic-sized piece of clear, flexible plastic/Mylar and have that encapsulated on top of the sealed and graded comic.

Why not just have stan sign the slab with some sort of ink that does not come off slab material?

oh sure, you won't be able to add $1000 to the price or whatever, but you'll know stan's signature is real and it won't screw up the book. if someone thinks that means you need a new slab, well i guess you can't please everyone.

:idea: I think you just came up with a new service - Slabbing Slabs!

60896128-BABA-435F-961B-89DB11AF61D6_zpstl3wfesm.jpg

I have no explanation for this one… hm

The story that I heard, and this has been borne out in other situations, is that Stan crossed out an aborted signature. So the person went and had it re-signed, and asked Stan to do Spider-insignia over the cross-out. Stan being Stan, he gave us the Spider-roach and a star was born!

To have the creator sign a comic-sized piece of clear, flexible plastic/Mylar and have that encapsulated on top of the sealed and graded comic.

oh sure, you won't be able to add $1000 to the price or whatever, but you'll know stan's signature is real and it won't screw up the book. if someone thinks that means you need a new slab, well i guess you can't please everyone.

This line of thinking is how you get paid the big bucks!

:roflmao:

:roflmao:

:applause:

I have no explanation for this one hm

it goes like this

"Hi Stan, I'm a big fan. Can you please draw a spider for me?"

"I'm not really an artist."

"No problem, I understand. Nevertheless, I'd still love to have the spider..."

"Ok.... here goes! Whoops, sorry it doesn't look great, I told you I'm not a great artist."

I fear you’re right… :shrug:

I have no explanation for this one… hm

The story that I heard, and this has been borne out in other situations, is that Stan crossed out an aborted signature. So the person went and had it re-signed, and asked Stan to do Spider-insignia over the cross-out. Stan being Stan, he gave us the Spider-roach and a star was born!

OMG

"…. sure I'll sign that AF #15 for you…. ooops.

Let me just cross that out and try again" :frustrated: