• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,999 posts in this topic

Sweet pickup, bc, but you should hide the label or not post the scan. The CGC Mods don't want to host the competition on their Boards.

Could you guys pull out your crystal ball for me? I love preheros. I'm in my 20's and feel like not many people my age appreciate or will grow to appreciate these books. I actually sold my highest graded one today (On the "other guys" fb page) because I wanted a new key marvel while I can still afford it. I figure it will only go up while at best these stay relatively the same. I actually think these will drop in value as the older people that like them.....get older.

What do you think? Any input?

Could you guys pull out your crystal ball for me? I love preheros. I'm in my 20's and feel like not many people my age appreciate or will grow to appreciate these books. I actually sold my highest graded one today (On the "other guys" fb page) because I wanted a new key marvel while I can still afford it. I figure it will only go up while at best these stay relatively the same. I actually think these will drop in value as the older people that like them.....get older.

Good question. Like many of the older books, there will likely emerge certain Icon examples that will retain their appeal. Their relative scarcity in decent shape will likely soften any fall. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Good question. Like many of the older books, there will likely emerge certain Icon examples that will retain their appeal. Their relative scarcity in decent shape will likely soften any fall. GOD BLESS...

I'd agree with all this. I would also add that completionists that are after the hero runs of many of these books (especially the "big four" of ST, JIM, TTA, TOS) will also end up going after the pre-hero segment of the title and get the bug. I think that this is one of the reasons that some of the "non-hero" Atlas pre-hero (WOM, Astonishing, Uncanny Tales, etc) tend to have much softer prices relative to those main four books that made it into the hero era.

I'd agree with all this. I would also add that completionists that are after the hero runs of many of these books (especially the "big four" of ST, JIM, TTA, TOS) will also end up going after the pre-hero segment of the title and get the bug. I think that this is one of the reasons that some of the "non-hero" Atlas pre-hero (WOM, Astonishing, Uncanny Tales, etc) tend to have much softer prices relative to those main four books that made it into the hero era.

Agree with both of the above about the long-term prospects.

You're about the same age when I first got into the pre-hero segment. I was buying early Avengers at the Medina County Flea Market and the dealer recommended some Amazing Adult Fantasy issues. He told me the whole story about the Atlas implosion and the rise of the Marvel heros in the early 60's in great detail. Every show, I got a mini-lesson on the history of Marvel comics and he got a chunk of my paycheck. Not sure if he was just a great salesman (not many people were buying these back then and he was probably happy to move inventory) or a considerate dealer educating his customer.

After that, I was always on the look-out for the early PHM.

Coincidentally, I saw the same dealer today at the Akron Comic Con - his name is Nelson and this was officially his last show before retiring from the circuit.

This was my last deal from Nelson after buying from him for over 35 years:

tos33_zpsogjvh31r.jpg

Good luck greenhoody!

-bc

Cool story! And a very good looking book. Really bright!

When I show off my books to friends or family I can see the appreciate most everything but no one seems to care much for the preheros unless I give them a real quick history lesson lol. It's hard to do with out jamming it down their throat.

I've ran into guys buying up variants at shops who had never even heard of them.... or jack kirby.

I do love them...

Cool story! And a very good looking book. Really bright!

When I show off my books to friends or family I can see the appreciate most everything but no one seems to care much for the preheros unless I give them a real quick history lesson lol. It's hard to do with out jamming it down their throat.

I've ran into guys buying up variants at shops who had never even heard of them.... or jack kirby.

I do love them...

:news: Welcome to the PHM club! :grin:

Same story for probably many here ! That's why this thread steadily remains on the first page for over a decade...we're a focus group.

"My name is ____ and I have a Pre-Hero Marvel problem"

-bc

...... and let's face it, these things have been dated for years, but they're still cool. Those who love them, LOVE them..... GOD BLESS...

...... and let's face it, these things have been dated for years, but they're still cool. Those who love them, LOVE them..... GOD BLESS...

You talking about the actual comics or the long-time collectors of said comics? :)

-bc

You talking about the actual comics or the long-time collectors of said comics? :)

-bc

..... I'll plead the fifth..... or blame it on Alzheimer's..... and thank God that Kirby loved Harryhausen :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

If you were giving some advice to someone interested in starting to collect PHM, what would be some of the top things to consider? I want to extend my Kirby collection into this realm.

thanks for any information or if you happen to know where this already has been hashed out.

...... Shoot for the keys first...... they're more likely to hold value..... and most of them were good. I'll PM you more information when I've given it some thought.... and I'm sure others will chime in as well. GOD BLESS...

If you were giving some advice to someone interested in starting to collect PHM, what would be some of the top things to consider? I want to extend my Kirby collection into this realm.

thanks for any information or if you happen to know where this already has been hashed out.

...... Shoot for the keys first...... they're more likely to hold value..... and most of them were good. I'll PM you more information when I've given it some thought.... and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Thanks. Any advice would be welcome. I am working with a limited budget so keys might be a stretch. I am not too worried about high grade-- some nice mid grade books would be great. My initial thought was JIM books in the 40-82 number range that have a Kirby cover and bonus would be Kirby art.

MY other thought was looking at some good copies of reprints from those eras that were prevalent in the early 1970s (I have many of these already). Perhaps I should check out some TPBs to read the stories and look at the art to find the ones I find attractive too. Getting the actual SA books won't be cheap (heck-- I still don't have any pre-100 JIMs and Thor is my main book I collect-- though I am only missing 6 of them from the 100-125 range).

anyway== that was were I am at in the thought process. Thanks for responding.

That makes it "easy" for you with JIM becoming a primary focus...... although some are tougher than others. There are plus factors involved in completing the entire run..... from 1-125. It's probably the most liquid run from Marvel that straddles the Atlas and mainstream Marvel eras, with Strange Tales a close second. I believe Kirby started with JIM 51(?) and was a regular fixture from there on. If you can be happy with 5.0 and less, it shouldn't take more than a year or two to fill them in if Kirby is the cut off. Some of them are very difficult in high grade, but I would recommend getting one or two of your favorites in VF or better..... these things are just breathtaking in nice shape. Getting all the Kirby issues in VG/F could be done with a little patience for around 2K for the lot. GOD BLESS...

...... Shoot for the keys first...... they're more likely to hold value..... and most of them were good. I'll PM you more information when I've given it some thought.... and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Thanks. Any advice would be welcome. I am working with a limited budget so keys might be a stretch. I am not too worried about high grade-- some nice mid grade books would be great. My initial thought was JIM books in the 40-82 number range that have a Kirby cover and bonus would be Kirby art.

MY other thought was looking at some good copies of reprints from those eras that were prevalent in the early 1970s (I have many of these already). Perhaps I should check out some TPBs to read the stories and look at the art to find the ones I find attractive too. Getting the actual SA books won't be cheap (heck-- I still don't have any pre-100 JIMs and Thor is my main book I collect-- though I am only missing 6 of them from the 100-125 range).

That makes it "easy" for you with JIM becoming a primary focus...... although some are tougher than others. There are plus factors involved in completing the entire run..... from 1-125. It's probably the most liquid run from Marvel that straddles the Atlas and mainstream Marvel eras, with Strange Tales a close second. I believe Kirby started with JIM 51(?) and was a regular fixture from there on. If you can be happy with 5.0 and less, it shouldn't take more than a year or two to fill them in if Kirby is the cut off. Some of them are very difficult in high grade, but I would recommend getting one or two of your favorites in VF or better..... these things are just breathtaking in nice shape. Getting all the Kirby issues in VG/F could be done with a little patience for around 2K for the lot. GOD BLESS...

I would argue that maybe ST is #1 in liquidity and availability, but that may just be me. JIM is a great run to work on with pre-hero, and has the advantage of being slightly shorter than ST in terms of being able to complete it (if you want to take it back to #1).

JIM is my "fun" pre-hero project, which basically means that I am less serious about grade in this title than I am in the other three runs I'm pursuing (TOS, TTA, and ST in order of seriousness). I'm partial to CGC graded books from #60-82, and raw VGs older than that. It is fun to feel freer to pick up nicely presenting lower grade books, which is a compromise I allow myself in the longer titles of JIM and ST simply because I can't afford to pursue the really early books in my preferred grade range of 6.0-7.5.

As Jimbo said, if you're not super grade conscious and are happy with nice VGs then you can fill in this run quite reasonably. I recently picked up a nice VGish #43 on eBay for like $45. I bought a G/VG #9 here on the boards for $100. And one of my favorite pickups from last year (which I'm never shy to post the scan of) was this very affordable copy of #1.

JIM01CGC.jpg

based on those responses, I am going to ponder the idea but most likely not venture too deeply into the tall grass of PHM. I will stick to areas I am a little more familiar with and that don't crush my budget. Maybe it will cool down in the future but it appears I am about 10-15 years too late to be thinking about getting into PHM collecting.

Thanks for the advice-- it certainly helped me make my decision to reconsider on this idea. I do love reading this thread though.

I would argue that maybe ST is #1 in liquidity and availability, but that may just be me. JIM is a great run to work on with pre-hero, and has the advantage of being slightly shorter than ST in terms of being able to complete it (if you want to take it back to #1).

JIM is my "fun" pre-hero project, which basically means that I am less serious about grade in this title than I am in the other three runs I'm pursuing (TOS, TTA, and ST in order of seriousness). I'm partial to CGC graded books from #60-82, and raw VGs older than that. It is fun to feel freer to pick up nicely presenting lower grade books, which is a compromise I allow myself in the longer titles of JIM and ST simply because I can't afford to pursue the really early books in my preferred grade range of 6.0-7.5.

As Jimbo said, if you're not super grade conscious and are happy with nice VGs then you can fill in this run quite reasonably. I recently picked up a nice VGish #43 on eBay for like $45. I bought a G/VG #9 here on the boards for $100. And one of my favorite pickups from last year (which I'm never shy to post the scan of) was this very affordable copy of #1.

JIM01CGC.jpg

Nicest 0.5 I have EVER seen! :headbang:(worship):applause:

When I was in my 20's, I also got the "bug" for pre-hero Marvels. In particular, I was fascinated by what must have been in those #1 - #14 books before Amazing Fantasy #15. So, I started buying those... just 14 books... easy way to start with pre-hero. I've got them as raw books, but I've also picked up a few of them slabbed along the way.

aaf_row.png

(thumbs u

based on those responses, I am going to ponder the idea but most likely not venture too deeply into the tall grass of PHM. I will stick to areas I am a little more familiar with and that don't crush my budget. Maybe it will cool down in the future but it appears I am about 10-15 years too late to be thinking about getting into PHM collecting.

Thanks for the advice-- it certainly helped me make my decision to reconsider on this idea. I do love reading this thread though.

Keep an open mind to the idea. Even a few copies can be pretty satisfying, and piles of fun!