• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So is there really a black(darkermaroon spoilage cover) of edge of spider-verse2

26 posts in this topic

I have seen a few comic sellers/ spoke to a few collectors who say there is this "spoilage" cover that was suppose to be pulled but not all were pulled off the shelves in time. I managed to snag a few of them and have them signed by the artist and writer, but is that really the story behind the darker cover of the first printing of Edge of Spider-Verse #2 with Spider Gwen? I know it is missing the hair piece in the darker cover. Maybe its just an error variant?

Hahha it's cool. I don't lie, even though I know a member on here was already giving me a hard time about amazing fantasy 15.....but whatever. I own a few of these error prints and just not sure if its a spoilage cover like I was told, if that is eve real, or if its just a one off error?

I don't know what a "spoilage" cover is supposed to be, but I know a lot about print production, and will point out that the "missing" hair piece is due to the book being trimmed differently, closer to the top. When pieces are prepared for print production, there is generally extra art (in the case of comics, figure about 1/8 inch) included past the intended trim area, since printed pieces don't always get trimmed along the exact same lines. So there's nothing "missing," it's just a slightly different trim. As for color differences, you'll see some variation over the course of a print run as some colors start running a little light or dark. Again, a very common occurrence. Generally the only cases that comic collectors care about is when one of the four process (cyan, magenta, yellow, or black) inks is completely absent from the printed piece (see Spider-man #1 with the blue Lizard). So what you have here is not so much a "variant" but an expected slight deviation from the intended norm.

I don't know what a "spoilage" cover is supposed to be, but I know a lot about print production, and will point out that the "missing" hair piece is due to the book being trimmed differently, closer to the top. When pieces are prepared for print production, there is generally extra art (in the case of comics, figure about 1/8 inch) included past the intended trim area, since printed pieces don't always get trimmed along the exact same lines. So there's nothing "missing," it's just a slightly different trim. As for color differences, you'll see some variation over the course of a print run as some colors start running a little light or dark. Again, a very common occurrence. Generally the only cases that comic collectors care about is when one of the four process (cyan, magenta, yellow, or black) inks is completely absent from the printed piece (see Spider-man #1 with the blue Lizard). So what you have here is not so much a "variant" but an expected slight deviation from the intended norm.

Thanks I have been trying to find out info on it. I know I haven't seen too many like the ones I have but wasn't sure. I was told its a spoilage issue, its an error, etc. It's good to know what it really is.

I've been trying to research this a bit as I just picked up a copy of Edge of Spider-Verse 2 and the background is black. I didn't really notice the difference until I got it home and removed some copies from my ebay watch list that I saw how different it really is. First picture is my copy with black background and noticeably darker suit details. The 2nd picture was one of the copies on my watch list. with normal maroon background.

ESPV-3.jpg

espv-5.jpg

The black covers are, indeed, considered error covers and are pretty rare. I sold my copy for $250. I have checked nearly 100 copies of the Edge of Spider-Verse 2s and the only black copies were in the batches from Books-A-Million.

I've owned four copies and they all sold for quite a bit more than the maroon background covers.

1 hour ago, Michael Browning said:

The black covers are, indeed, considered error covers and are pretty rare. I sold my copy for $250. I have checked nearly 100 copies of the Edge of Spider-Verse 2s and the only black copies were in the batches from Books-A-Million.

I've owned four copies and they all sold for quite a bit more than the maroon background covers.

Do printers run separate batches of a book for individual retailers? I don't understand how this would happen as described otherwise, and even so... why is it an error and not simply due to the amount of ink put on the page? 

The 2 copies I own are from 2nd and Charles, bought right when the book really caught fire. Both are definitely the black background cover. Most covers I've seen on the secondary market look decidedly different, however I cannot say that the dark covers have been marked any higher from my experience. They are definitely harder to come by, from my experience though.