• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROM the Spaceknight
2 2

249 posts in this topic

Hello,

New here and still finding topics to post in.

I Loved Rom and bought most of my issues new from the news stand and from the first comic shop I ever found, was the first time I saw the different Logo's depicting Direct Sale or News Stand Edition.

When my Son wanted to get into collecting in the 90's he wanted copies of his own so we now have 2 complete runs of ROM.

Welcome to the boards.

Hello,

I Loved Rom and bought most of my issues new from the news stand and from the first comic shop I ever found, was the first time I saw the different Logo's depicting Direct Sale or News Stand Edition.

When my Son wanted to get into collecting in the 90's he wanted copies of his own so we now have 2 complete runs of ROM.

Welcome to the boards.

Thank You, glad to be here.

Hello,

t8ri4m.jpg

Coming to IDW? I have hope ... also, there are concerns that Marvel owns all the licenses for the dire wraiths, galador... etc so how could IDW publish a ROM story without all the things that made him great- but it is interesting that IDW has licensed and aligned with Marvel comics in the past - see Star Wars et al. Maybe a cross effort is occurring?

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/132401-sdcc-is-idw-about-to-announce-micronauts-and-rom-spaceknight-miniseries.html

micronautsteaser.jpg

Edited by MattP

Coming to IDW? I have hope ... also, there are concerns that Marvel owns all the licenses for the dire wraiths, galador... etc so how could IDW publish a ROM story without all the things that made him great- but it is interesting that IDW has licensed and aligned with Marvel comics in the past - see Star Wars et al. Maybe a cross effort is occurring?

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/132401-sdcc-is-idw-about-to-announce-micronauts-and-rom-spaceknight-miniseries.html

micronautsteaser.jpg

I wonder if we will see a price bump with Rom and Micronauts now?

Hope IDW handles this property well, but I wouldnt be too hopeful.. They relaunched so many classic titles with more mileage than Rom and consistently screwed them up..

Even their TMNT & GI Joe's have dog selling stats

A shame Bill Mantlo couldn`t write these because IDW has brought back Larry Hama and Simon Furman to do long runs.

Hope IDW handles this property well, but I wouldnt be too hopeful.. They relaunched so many classic titles with more mileage than Rom and consistently screwed them up..

Even their TMNT & GI Joe's have dog selling stats

A shame Bill Mantlo couldn`t write these because IDW has brought back Larry Hama and Simon Furman to do long runs.

Wouldnt be surprised if there are talks about Rom vs MLP crossovers already at the IDW HQs

I'm certain that there will be a licensing cross-over to Marvel. IDW is probably banking on all the old-schooler's picking up the issues; they (like me) will want to see the wraiths at the very least - it might be limited, i don't know, since they've stated they wanted a 'new interpretation' yet pay homage to the original ROM.

Moreover, i'm really curious to the legal details. Why did IDW get Hasbro to provide the rights while the heavy hitter, Marvel, didn't? Probably had to do with a revenue percentage per book sold... I'll bet Marvel was low-balling it.

hm

CBR has an interview with the new writers where they specifically discuss the fingers. Sounds like one of them really wanted him to have fingers, the other didn't, but in the end they went with fingers:

CBR: A character like Rom has a very clear and specific design. Will he get any visual upgrades for the new series?

Ryall: Nothing that will make you look at the character and wonder who he is. But you can see one big upgrade on Zach Howard and Nelson Daniel's amazing cover for the #0 issue: actual fingers! Those mitten hands always drove me a little nuts -- I know they were toy-derived, and the toy had a much easier time doing molded hands rather than independent figures (or whatever the reason was for those hands back when), but I wanted him to have digits, dammit. There are some other minor tweaks that hew closer to the original toy design, but like I say, just look at that cover -- it's unmistakably Rom.

Gage: I play the role of the crotchety old man who looks at any variation on the original design with a very jaundiced eye. I feel that if you're going to change something, there'd better be a good reason -- like having actual fingers. But I signed on to write Rom, not "hipster robot who vaguely resembles Rom." So, yeah, he'll look like Rom.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-rom-the-spaceknight-shoots-for-the-stars-with-ryall-gage