• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
18 18

11,080 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice on putting together a complete run of the Big5 books. During the last year I've been buying issues from all of the titles when I see a good deal. But that seemed a bit unfocused, so over the last couple of months, I've been focusing on GIC, but I get the feeling I'm letting deals slip away on the other titles.

So what is the most efficient way to put together a run?

When I was going after these books, I had my checklist of all the books and just went after anything that I didn't have. I only avoided books with detached covers, all else was fair game.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go after books that were 4.0 and above. But, don't limit yourself by buying one title at a time, because as you suspected, some decent books (or decent deals) will slip right by you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to get at least 4.0 (for the SA stuff), but if it has an intact cover and the price is good, I've been buying those too. I can always sell off the under copies down the road.

I once had the notion to go for this as well but the fact that I would have to buy portions of runs that I didn't care about killed it for me. I love Big 5 war books, but there are parts of runs on OFF, AAMOW, and SSWS that I have zero interest in buying.

I didn't think I would like the Dinos in SSWS, but I found them a fun read. Guns and Dinos, what is not to like.

I've got to say +1 here. I originally avoided the dinosaur books because they were always pricey in the guide and I felt so much more was a better value. When I ended up getting the Showcase compilation "War That Time Forgot" I ended reading the whole book and enjoying the heck out of it!! :D Who would have thunk it??

Bought on the boards and picked up at SDCC. I just love that cover, especially the third tier with the bombs being dropped. Heath at his best!

1307151133151.jpg

Edited by gojira

I'm not sure I've seen one recently but a number of the DC/Atlas covers changed hands in the 1995 - 2002 time period. The cover to AAMOW 111 was on sale in the late 90s for between 5 and 6 thousand dollars. That was high enough at the time to discourage me.

Albert Moy had another Heath graytone done in ink wash, AAMOW 112. It was on his site until about 5 years ago. There was also typical pen/ink cover to Star Spangled War 137 that was owned by a Board member that still frequents the OA Forum.