• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

Reel 0ne (intro)

Reel One :Intro

Hi all

I've been on the Boards for a bit over a year now, mostly posting pics and commenting in the Gold Forum. A few Boardies even refer to me by name, Corey, but Sagii is of course cool also(My Zodiac). As a lot of you know from my book posts and comments i collect across many genres in gold, but my first loves are MLJ super heroes, Ace Publications books, and Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny is the G.O.A.T.).

I also dig Fawcetts, and would love to build runs on Harvey, Fox and maybe Prize Comics before i call the comic thing a day(would like to focus solely on building a Movie Poster collection after i close my comic collecting).

Other likes: Movies (especially Film Noir), almost anything with James Cagney or Bette Davis, Horror (Halloween), and Sci Fi (Godzilla)

Obsessed with 1970's culture (fashion, politics, music (and yes, Disco too), movies, TV, icons of the era) with the 80's close behind (King of Pop, New Wave, Dallas), but mostly just TV and music stuff.

Also Obsessed with political conspiracy theories assasinations (JFK, RFK, MLK), and the files/tapes of Hoover and Nixon.

Which brings me to the Journals title: These are my 'tapes', 'files' in a way of things iv'e collected and treasured for years(and hopefully years more to come). I will mostly post books, hunt stories, groups by themes(covers, artist, characters, etc)but it's basically a place to keep all my things(or a lot of them anyway)in one place on the Boards. I'll add and update as the mood strikes, but will try to work out some kind of schedule. Thanks for reading. Nothing long and drawn out today as far as pics, but i'll open the Journal with this one because the cover subject is of a collector of rare books himself! For those of you who have never seen it, dig the crazy dialog!

16708.jpg

See more journals by sagii68

Ok, still new to the Journal thing, so a few glitches i'm still trying to figure out. So i will add to the intro reel through the chat boards site with these. Figure the intro should also have an example of some of the mentioned collecting focus passions i have. So: Here's a Big Little Book featuring 'The Gray One' and buddy Porky Pig. Bugs Bunny and the Secret of Storm Island. This is the most 'valuable' of the Bugs BLB's in mint according to Overstreet, and while i have not seen many, my copy is the best i have ever laid eyes on. 1942

Bugs%20Bunny%20BLB_zpsclj1ug8p.jpg

A new pick up this week: Blue Ribbon Comics #11. This cover features Mr. Justice on a train, rising from his wounded body with knife in it's back, saving a lady from becoming next at the hands of green red faced 'men like things' lol

Blue%20Ribbon%20Comics%2011_zpscbj8puae.jpg

Ace periodicals weren't just super heroes(though they did that VERY well). They also had Teen Humor titles among other genres. Hap Hazzard Comics #13 in the vein of Archie and co.

Hap%20Hazard%20Comics%2013_zpsxussneti.jpg

If you frequent the gold forum, you may have seen some of these before. For all other readers, hope you enjoy seeing them!

Edited by Sagii

Thank you Sir, and will do!

Iv'e got time over the weekend to add a subset (just trying to figure out which to post).

You are one of the Boardies who have set an example high bar of excellence. :applause: It'll be rocky at first, but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it.

Hi Sagii,

What a creative journal theme! You have some cool and unusual items and I look forward to more tapes! I really like the cover of Gangsters Can't Win #2, I've never seen that one before, I also like the Big Little Book. Best of luck!

Thanks Brandon! I enjoy seeing your high grade Superman posts on My Slabbed Comics too. That is a cool cover isn't it? I will try to keep it interesting.

Thank you for sharing your story and posting these cool books! I don't frequent the boards because to me they're all over the place and hard to follow sometimes. I like the journals cause they are more of a one stop shop. I don't see a lot of GA so I'm glad you posted these. Look forward to seeing more!

Thank you for sharing your story and posting these cool books! I don't frequent the boards because to me they're all over the place and hard to follow sometimes. I like the journals cause they are more of a one stop shop. I don't see a lot of GA so I'm glad you posted these. Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks for 'dropping' by! Yes, I figured a Journal reaches all areas of the Boards for those who don't frequent 'Era Fourums'. Glad you Iiked the books. I will post some more by theme Friday night or early Saturday before my cook out jaunts :D

Well Corey as you know i like the weird and rare across the board.Nice to post all those wonderful gems you have, i too love what others don't.That's what makes the boards so great a different journey each day to see what makes us tick.I will be checking in from time to time to see those oddities of yours.Thanks Jack (thumbs u

Well Corey as you know i like the weird and rare across the board.Nice to post all those wonderful gems you have, i too love what others don't.That's what makes the boards so great a different journey each day to see what makes us tick.I will be checking in from time to time to see those oddities of yours.Thanks Jack (thumbs u
Thanks Jack, and if I didn't know, that sig line of yours boasts one of the most impressive esoteric collections around! (I would have realized very quickly :D ) Thanks for stopping in!

Hey Corey

I rarely look in here.

Cool idea. Kind of like my "Junk" thread. Just post what ever you feel like showing. It can take some time but it's pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing your stuff. Like the Bugs BLB. Gotta do some of those myself one of these days. Don't know if I ever posted this but thought you might get a kick out of it.

Bob

bugsbunny_zpsb0760b9c.jpg

Hey Corey

I rarely look in here.

Cool idea. Kind of like my "Junk" thread. Just post what ever you feel like showing. It can take some time but it's pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing your stuff. Like the Bugs BLB. Gotta do some of those myself one of these days. Don't know if I ever posted this but thought you might get a kick out of it.

Bob

bugsbunny_zpsb0760b9c.jpg

Just returning in from an evening with my folks (gotta get that visit time in there with them God bless 'em). And Robot Man...... :takeit:

I love that! What's the story on it(who produced it and circa)? Unless i make it to the junk pile in the sky before you, find some way to get that to me buddy if you tire of it lol

Yes, the theme is inspired by your incredible thread (and though iv'e accumulated a nice heap, it in no may compares to the all encompassing pop culture swath your haul does. Really, it's been said before, but your stuff could be it's own museum. :golfclap:

Thanks for the advice, and i will just shoot from the hip. Would like to see your BLB collection posted in your thread one day. Again, thanks for posting that toy of 'The Gray One'.

Bugs was made by Marx Toys in the early 1950's I believe. It is a bit of a mystery to me. It appears to be a part of something else. I was told a bank or something. None of my toy friends have ever seen one. He is large about 9" tall made of lithographed tin. That's all I know my friend...

I will have to check in here often. Love to see some of your "junk". Remember, it is "junk" only because someone probably threw it away at some point.

REEL TWO : MLJ Heroes v.1

Happy 4th of July all. Today's reel will focus on one particular hero of the titled vol.

Vol.2 of this particular reel will focus on another, and so on. I may jump to another reel(which will be another focus, and go back to a previous reel with added content from time to time. Ok, the Black Hood, who will be 75 years young this October. Some of my favorite covers featuring him:

Have always loved this cover with it's purplish header, and hands reaching out from the shadows to stop this young lady from rescuing our hero (a switch!!)who is bound and gagged and can't warn her.

Black%20Hood%20Comics%2018_zpstetffbxx.jpg

This one is a fave too. Our hero facing off against his arch nemesis, The Skull (there were many covers featuring this villain). Love the setting at the pier, and fellow heroes The Wizard and Roy the Super-boy(even getting a blurb as the 'marvel of '41)joining in. Roy is cited as only the SECOND (after Robin) costumed boy hero in comics (though i heard the Golden age Human Torch's partner Toro, can lay claim to this too) (shrug)

Top-Notch%20Comics%2011_zpslttdlxyp.jpg

Love this grave yard Zombie cover too. Roy did manage to get tied up a lot

Top-NotchComics18_zps1df9ed38.jpg

A few favorite splashes, from Jackpot Comics 7 and Top-Notch Laugh comics 28 respectively.

IMG_0619_zps836dc384.jpg

IMG_20140716_101456_zpsc0c8c295.jpg

Edited by Sagii

Hey RM

lol Tomorrow, promise! Have the day off, can drop a few items in the bucket.

Was going to do it last week, but i knew some sweet books and other collectibles (yours included)were going to be posted during SDCC, so i just wanted to be a spectator and drool over other folks treasures.

Appreciate the 'kick in the can', lol

Thanks Brandon. Again, your Bronze age Superman/Action runs (and copies)are incredible! Well deserved award! :golfclap:

I have some other Bugs stuff coming soon(really cool -i think lol ) , but tomorrow will be another focus golden age sub set.

Reel Three: The Masters v1

Thought i'd dedicate this reel to the Super Star artists of the golden age. Four for today. Some of these i have on MSC, but they are also some of my all time favorite covers so i'm posting again here.

Matt Baker: Wild Boy 11. Though known more for his 'women', this Jungle genre cover/series boasts some of Mr. Bakers best. Look at the detail in the lush, and the tiger.

img001_zps6b7l37c9.jpg

Lou Fine: Hit Comics 7. I bought this from Vinny and Steve years ago, and RARELY see any for sale since that time. Red background, skull, bondage, knife wielder, and oh the detail! This ones going in the box with me lol

HitComics7_zps2b455dff.jpg

2 2