• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,811 posts in this topic

I have said this before. Stan Sakai will sell the rights to Usagi Yojimbo, it is only a matter of time. Unfortunately, with the passing of his wife the odds are even better now. Hopefully he will sell to Nickelodeon so Usagi Yojimbo can join the TMNTs. :wishluck:

I would not be surprised if Nickelodeon is actively searching for its next property to purchase especailly with the success of TMNT.

Why do you think this?

IMO

Stan Sakai is getting older and over the last 2 years he has been setting things up to sell the property. Starting with a short animated film, theatre production, new website, returning back to the Usagi Yojimbo comic series, etc... and all this was done while his wife was sick. I feel he was rebranding Usagi Yojimbo to sell.

There are many creators like Dave Sim (Cerebus)

I think Dave'll die poor before he lets a studio basturdize cerebus. I just can't see that one happening.

Slabbed copies of Albedo #3 might make up (a little bit) for the fact that Usagi isn't on the front cover.

The back cover of Albedo #3 is a very nice Usagi cover in Japanese (which would be the front cover in Japan based on the cover price and position of the staples... unless I'm mistaken lol ).

0991466012b_1200.jpg

Just display it from this side. (thumbs u

TMNT has been a hit for Nickeldeon. TMNT film (2014) alone paid for entire TMNT property. Nickelodeon paid 60 million for TMNT. The TMNT film made a profit of 80 million after expenses and that is not including DVD sales & merchandise.

wow, that's wild. The one movie paid for the rights :ohnoez:

Something similar happened with Valiant.

The rights to Valiant were purchased for under $1,000,000 in 2005.

In 2015, Valiant got a $110,000,000+ investment which was NOT a majority stake in the company.

That's a pretty good 10 year return. lol

TMNT has been a hit for Nickeldeon. TMNT film (2014) alone paid for entire TMNT property. Nickelodeon paid 60 million for TMNT. The TMNT film made a profit of 80 million after expenses and that is not including DVD sales & merchandise.

I said the same thing. One movie paid for the rights and if TMNT wasn't competing with GOTG at the same time it would have made more money.

When the rights were sold, we all thought it was to low. We were right.

I have said this before. Stan Sakai will sell the rights to Usagi Yojimbo, it is only a matter of time. Unfortunately, with the passing of his wife the odds are even better now. Hopefully he will sell to Nickelodeon so Usagi Yojimbo can join the TMNTs. :wishluck:

I would not be surprised if Nickelodeon is actively searching for its next property to purchase especailly with the success of TMNT.

Why do you think this?

IMO

Stan Sakai is getting older and over the last 2 years he has been setting things up to sell the property. Starting with a short animated film, theatre production, new website, returning back to the Usagi Yojimbo comic series, etc... and all this was done while his wife was sick. I feel he was rebranding Usagi Yojimbo to sell.

There are many creators like Dave Sim (Cerebus)

I think Dave'll die poor before he lets a studio basturdize cerebus. I just can't see that one happening.

You are right. Did some research and found out he has made arrangements for his body of work (Cerebus, Judenhass, Glamourpuss) to fall into the public domain following his death.

Absolutely crazy. :facepalm:

I don't really see this as a positive.

No one in their right mind buys a property for $60 million, invests hundreds of millions into production and advertising for a big budget movie, only for the theatrical release to make back its initial investment.

I'm sure when they made that movie, they had images of a $300-$400 million domestic take, or they wouldn't have gone down that path. Long-term it's good business, but remember, studio execs *never* worry about anything longer than their current release schedule, as it cold be their last.

I'm sad that Stan's wife died. His books brought me countless hours of enjoyment as a kid/teenager. Have we really reached the point where we are only talking about the value of some his books increasing in price, with no mention or appreciation of his art?

sad. Pathetic really.

You are right. Did some research and found out he has made arrangements for his body of work (Cerebus, Judenhass, Glamourpuss) to fall into the public domain following his death.

Waitacottonpickinminute. I can write a Cerebus comic after he dies?? Cerebus 301, here I come! Cerebus: Really Latter Days. Cerebus Meets Frankenstein. A Cerebus Christmas Carol. Romeo & Cerebus.

Waitacottonpickinminute. I can write a Cerebus comic after he dies?? Cerebus 301, here I come! Cerebus: Really Latter Days. Cerebus Meets Frankenstein. A Cerebus Christmas Carol. Romeo & Cerebus.

I know. :o I double checked and then triple checked. Its true.

Actually, Judenhass is already public domain as of November 2014. I am amazed that no one has captalized on it yet.

Once upon a time I had about 20 copies of Albedo 3 in VF+ to NM condition (nothing that would likely slab out to a 9.6 or 9.8 without at least a pressing) that I bought for 50 cents each that I sold here and on ebay for $15-$20 a pop, maybe some of the NMs going a little over $20.

While the market is not much different for the book right now, I suspect I will have my regrets in the future.

Oh, so many regrets.

Albedo #3 was and still is a $20-40 book. #2 was ALWAYS a $200+ book, now its obviously alot higher. Which brings the question, does that book have more room to grow?

Its interesting how 99% of all copper indies have plummeted in value and theres but a handful of books which have appreciated greatly in price and are still very sought after. Albedo #2 is one of those books

I think it's a pretty limited market. But, if "furries" can shed (no pun intended) the negative stereotype, I could see new growth. Breaking the negative association I think would either require time and a new generation (but will comic collecting still be popular then?) or a popular new anthropomorphic character that most do not realize is an anthropomorphic character at first.

Why do you think this?

IMO

There are many creators like Dave Sim (Cerebus), Jeff Smith (Bone), Sergio Aragones (Groo), Matt Wagner (Mage & Grendel), Neal Adams (Bucky O'Hare), Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo) from the 1980s that really need to sell thier properties.

TMNT has been a hit for Nickeldeon. TMNT film (2014) alone paid for entire TMNT property. Nickelodeon paid 60 million for TMNT. The TMNT film made a profit of 80 million after expenses and that is not including DVD sales & merchandise. I haven't even talked about the cartoons, comics, video games & the TMNT 2 film yet.

If I had to guess, Nickelodeon is probably looking at Bone as their next purchase. Nickelodeon has wanted to purchase Bone and/or distribute movies since the 1990s.

Bone is actually popular with kids as the TPBs are widely circulated and in lots of libraries. They would have to be taught to love Albedo.

Here's one that's not "heating up", but seems to usually do pretty well on eBay

Labyrinth #1-3

Yup, these were always hard to find cheap, also dont forget Marvel Super Special #40

I have sold a TON this set over the years. They seem harder to find that last few years. I havent had a Marvel Super Special in my hands for maybe 5 years and it sells well in any grade.

Bowie fans have always been nuts for this book. I bought 10 sets I remember about 5 years ago and sold them all in under a couple of weeks.

Here's one that's not "heating up", but seems to usually do pretty well on eBay

Labyrinth #1-3

Yup, these were always hard to find cheap, also dont forget Marvel Super Special #40

I have sold a TON this set over the years. They seem harder to find that last few years. I havent had a Marvel Super Special in my hands for maybe 5 years and it sells well in any grade.

Bowie fans have always been nuts for this book. I bought 10 sets I remember about 5 years ago and sold them all in under a couple of weeks.

I think Jim Henson fans also with Bowie fans are pushing this.

It`s been a solid seller for years.