• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Marvel Value Stamp club
4 4

246 posts in this topic

Any other members of this club? Let's see it!

I have a couple of MVS books and probably own the comic-based stamps several times over, but no way am I assembling them all. :sumo::tonofbricks:lol

As it should be. My collection is unclipped, no way am I cutting any stamps.

I meant "assembling" as in "dragging out my comics boxes, collating the MVS issues, displaying all the comics, taking photos, etc.".

Yeah i can understand. At first I just had all the comics in a pile/ box. Later I decided to label them as to what marvel value stamp was in the book and had the collection organized in order by the stamps. Now they are in my spinner and are not in order at all.

I have a pile of stamps but they are more of a collection of regret than something to be excited about.

As I find books with stamps cut out, I've been setting them aside. I'm sure I have all of them with stamps as well...

I might have to buy some already cut stamps out to go with the ones I cut out as a kid. I finally picked up a stamp book...

I have a pile of stamps but they are more of a collection of regret than something to be excited about.

As I find books with stamps cut out, I've been setting them aside. I'm sure I have all of them with stamps as well...

I might have to buy some already cut stamps out to go with the ones I cut out as a kid. I finally picked up a stamp book...

at one point I had considered trying to match the ones I removed myself and include them back with the original book (not restoring them, just having them on the other side of the backing board). Maybe someday- of course-- some of those have been sold off as readers along the way too. Not sure if I would bother doing it for the series B-- maybe just the series A.

Series B stamps were kind of dumb to me (thankfully) as it took so many just to make the image. That may have been why I finally stopped destroying my own books. I never owned the book to put them in. The only situation turns my stomach

Series B stamps were kind of dumb to me

This was the dumbest idea ever, and I always assumed when they announced Series B, that it would extend the original MVS series and add in the many characters (especially major villains - Magneto anyone?) that were left out in Series A.

When I saw what they were doing, it was a major doh! on my part as to their inability to understand the very basics of fandom.

I wonder how many second copies were bought by people just to get the stamps? I know I bought several issues strictly because they had a stamp I needed.

That was the entire point of Marvel Value Stamps - to sell more copies - a) of comics you would not normally buy and b) one to clip, another to colect) and Stan the Man himself promoted this strategy in his Bullpen Bulletins.

I picked up an OO bronze collection last month of around 3500 books and low and behold out if the multiple copies. One book of each had the stamps cut out.

Some books I never realized had stamps like a handful of giant size issues. I've since schooled myself on what books have stamps.

I recall buying ASM 145 just to get Galactus. Ended up being a cool book too.

well I finally decided to break out my stamps again and see the overall damage.

It was extensive.

Series A (31 cut out but I think I put some back with their original books already):

2lB0Pdbl.jpg

Series B (41 total cut out):

XmOtAf5l.jpg

pretty sad that I ruined this many comics.

On the other hand--- I did go ahead and document my Marvel stickers while I was at it

1975 series:

RJqI6jNl.jpg

1975 & 1976 series together (plus a check list card for 1976):

BvlJBivl.jpg

the stickers were fun stuff. I cannot imagine how a 12 year old me could hold back from using these.

Those stickers are cool!

Some of the old saying are funny and nostalgic! :preach:

they are pretty cool---

here's the larger photo in case you are having trouble reading them (I was):

BvlJBiv.jpg

Thanks for posting the stickers. I remember having them, but I think even back then I didn't like the word balloon sayings.

Thanks for posting the stickers. I remember having them, but I think even back then I didn't like the word balloon sayings.

They're cool and nostalgic now, but they sucked hard back then.

All kids wanted were just stickers of their fave comic characters to put on books, lunchboxes, desks, etc. and not some lame joke bubble.

All kids wanted were just stickers of their fave comic characters to put on books, lunchboxes, desks, etc. and not some lame joke bubble.

you can cut out most of the bubbles

Yes, I did cut out the word balloons. I also recall cutting out the characters exactly after sticking them onto some light weight card. This birthed "paper guys" which my friend and I used to make and play with. They didn't last long, so we went back to megos. Because mego didn't make all of the characters, we would alter our existing megos to make other characters. The things we could make with the items found in our Father's garage and some glue guns/ soldering irons and tape.

Mysterio was the favorite I made, used the plastic bubble from a prize candy thing, covered the head inside with some weird material, and made the costume.

fun times

you can cut out most of the bubbles

Sure, and I could cut up my comics and glue my fave panels on my books....

But the point is how incredibly out-of-touch these guys were in designing the stickers. I can just imagine some insane, mutton-cheap-sporting greaseball buying the license and then telling his workers:

"Com'on, it ain't comic characters dat the kids want, it's catchy phrases like 'Kung Fooey' and 'Who Stole my Right Guard'... classic stuff like dat, so yoose guys get crackin!"

Photo%20193.jpg

For a kid that loved super hero comics as well as parody items like Cracked magazine or Wacky Packages, those stickers were the best of both worlds. Still have both full sets.

For a kid that loved super hero comics as well as parody items like Cracked magazine or Wacky Packages, those stickers were the best of both worlds.

I liked them both as well, but I also didn't put Pepsi on my Captain Crunch cereal. (tsk)