• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK BEYOND (7/22/16)

220 posts in this topic

STAR TREK BEYOND Begins Production; Zachary Quinto & Zoe Saldana Get Into Character

d70b587b8888b5add501b2197f6937e6f61bfe0a.jpg

90b34795933e0c4b2dd9b9727f701b3d349534dd.jpg

e60a3b57ab56f3b2430fb80249b1247c2b48a112.jpg

The new Star Trek movie (not officially subtitled "Beyond" yet but it's looking likely) began shooting in Vancouver today, and we have some pics of two of the returning cast members getting into character. For Zoe Saldana that means getting her Uhura hair done, but Zachary Quinto has to endure a slightly more extreme makeover to become Mr. Spock.

I hope this is as solid as the last two.

Everything so far has been pre-'five year mission', right? So maybe 'Beyond' will have Kirk firmly in command, exploration, and some that famous Kirk/Spock cowboy diplomacy. :wishluck:

Their timeline, as good as it's been, has felt a little bassakwards. So give 'er 'ol she's got Cap'n. Deep space, if you please.

I really enjoyed the last two. I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but I like the rebooted Star Trek films better than the originals.

There I said it.

I agree with you.

I know I'm in the tiny minority, but Star Trek: The Motion Picture remains my favorite of them all, followed by Khan.
Both really good. But I always appreciated 'The Undiscovered Country' as well. It had a lot of funny scenes, along with great action.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country | Scene: "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" from Graduate Theological Union OL on Vimeo.

I know I'm in the tiny minority, but Star Trek: The Motion Picture remains my favorite of them all, followed by Khan.

You're not alone. It's one of my favorites too.

Part of it is probably nostalgia. It came out when I was about 8 and I had grown up watching the show in re-runs so the movie was a pretty big deal.

But even now I still really like it. I think it's one the most "theatrical" of the original films - the one that most lookes like a big-budget movie.

I remember reading somewhere - think it was one of Nemoy's memoirs - that for Wrath the bumped down to filming on a T.V. studio lot, and you can spot where they recycled sets from TMP. As good as some of those latter films were, you got the instinctive feeling that Parmount was cutting corners.

That's one thing I'll give the re-boot films, they definately brought back the polished, big-budget feel to the franchise.

Well, if no one is gonna say it...

RIP James Horner

His score in Wrath of Khan only added suspense & urgency into the newly constructed "military" look to the crew. Taking over for Jerry Goldsmith was a tough act to follow.

Although, I thought The Motion Picture was too slow when I grew up, I have grown to appreciate it more over the years. To me, it followed the original series spirit better than any movie before the reboots. I rank the "villain" #2 of all-time Trek baddies after Khan. But, it really didn't have too much competition from a bunch of whalers, Jim from Taxi and Tom Hardy. lol

Are there any fan-edits of ST:TMP?

I've always thought it suffered from a '2001 Space Odyssey' vibe, with long lingering glacial pacing of that cinematic style. So a quality re-edit with a slightly enhanced sense-of=urgency would be really fun to see.

I really enjoyed the last two. I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but I like the rebooted Star Trek films better than the originals.

There I said it.

I agree with you.

:o

Joking...I never followed the any of the TV series. Outside of a few episodes here and there and the first 2 movies, I basically only knew who the main characters were for the most part. So when I saw the first new movie with Zoe, Chris Pine and Zach Q... I didnt really have anything invested.

Loved them and thought they were much better than anything else Ive seen from the ST mythos.

I was never a big Star Trek fan…I do remember watch TNG while eating dinner with my parents on Saturday nights though. My favorite movie of the series was Star Trek: Generations because of the crossover of the two…plus Data was hilarious with his emotions chip.

I've always thought it suffered from a '2001 Space Odyssey' vibe, with long lingering glacial pacing of that cinematic style. So a quality re-edit with a slightly enhanced sense-of=urgency would be really fun to see.

That's what I like about it. It's set apart by its pacing, and I think that creates a wonderful atmosphere around the film.

That's what I like about it. It's set apart by its pacing, and I think that creates a wonderful atmosphere around the film.

Exactly.

Everything else at the time - Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Black Hole, etc. - they were all trying to copy Star Wars.

ST:TMP went in a different direction and while it may not be to everyone's tastes it does stand above all the copycats of the time.