• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding Subscription Crease

12 posts in this topic

Hello.

I hope I'm posting my question in the right place. In reading through the Overstreet Grading Guide, it would seem that a book with a subscription crease warrants an immediate 3.0 (G/VG) grade value. I was curious what the generaI consensus is since I see a lot of books on EBay with noticeable subscription creases graded (not by CGC) much higher. I think I only have one book in my collection with a subscription crease and am wanting to give it an accurate grade.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

According to Grading from Overstreet and Heritage Auctions books up to a VG 3.5 "Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples."

That plus an accumulation of all other defects will give you the final grade.

VG 4.0 states books "Can have moderate creases or dimples".

Me personally...

I have no issue with Subscription Creases or Arrival Dates on Covers.

To me it is part of the history of the book and the times and it was common place when I was growing up and started collecting in the mid 60's.

It depends on how noticeable the subscription crease is - where it's noticeable (front or back cover or both) and how nice the book is otherwise.

I own several such books now and have owned or seen many in the past. If the book is otherwise higher grade (say 8.5 or better) and the subscription crease is faint or only seen on the back cover, 6.0-6.5 seems to be the maximum grade from CGC.

And welcome to the boards

Edited by Tony S

I've always considered a book with a sub crease to be a maximum of 4.0. If the crease is heavy or there's other defects I go down.

I think a lot of collectors feel this way. Not all, don't know if it is most. But a lot. It's why I have better issues (keys) that are otherwise higher grade with a sub crease slabbed. Then there isn't any arguing the grade with potential customers.

I've always considered a book with a sub crease to be a maximum of 4.0. If the crease is heavy or there's other defects I go down.

I think a lot of collectors feel this way. Not all, don't know if it is most. But a lot. It's why I have better issues (keys) that are otherwise higher grade with a sub crease slabbed. Then there isn't any arguing the grade with potential customers.

Makes sense. It's never black and white as sub creaes can vary an awful lot.

I've seen light/faint sub creases hit 6.5 7.0.

(thumbs u but the rest of the book needs to be exceptional.

..... you pressed one of my books..... a deslabbed 5.0 w/ sub crease, and it came back 7.5...... but like you said, it was kind of nice already..... but, man, was I impressed. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't like the Overstreet Grading Guide -- too rigid and inflexible on how it addresses a variety of defects. I prefer how how CGC handles sub creases, which is: look at the book and its other defects in their totality. And, crucially, is the sub crease breaking color? A 9.0-ish looking book shouldn't be saddled with a 4.0 grade because of a non-color-breaking sub crease. I think the average CGC grade given to a book with a sub crease falls between a 4.0 to 5.0; nicer books without a color-breaking crease can get a 5.5, and a little higher.

Update: just got a submission back from CGC and the book with a non-color breaking sub crease that otherwise looked 7.5ish got a 5.5.

Edited by zosocane

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 4:30 PM, zosocane said:

I don't like the Overstreet Grading Guide -- too rigid and inflexible on how it addresses a variety of defects. I prefer how how CGC handles sub creases, which is: look at the book and its other defects in their totality. And, crucially, is the sub crease breaking color? A 9.0-ish looking book shouldn't be saddled with a 4.0 grade because of a non-color-breaking sub crease. I think the average CGC grade given to a book with a sub crease falls between a 4.0 to 5.0; nicer books without a color-breaking crease can get a 5.5, and a little higher.

Update: just got a submission back from CGC and the book with a non-color breaking sub crease that otherwise looked 7.5ish got a 5.5.

Yep...