• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncanny Xmen 510 Sketch J Scott Campbell
2 2

142 posts in this topic

Anybody else own this particular book? If so, I'd love to see pics of it in raw or high grade and how you came about your copy. Does anyone have an idea of the true print run of this particular cover? It was a convention exclusive from my understanding?

I'd been trying to add another copy Universal Blue or Raw for months now. A 9.4 popped up on ebay yesterday and it is at $1200 with 6 days left. :boo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-510-Ultra-Rare-Variant-Edition-CGC-9-4-NM-Look-/271900670648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4e8afab8

I think a VF last sold for 1200. I was hoping to add another to my colection for less than $1,000 lol I'm assuming these crazy prices on non 9.8 copies are due to Psylocke being in the new xmen movie.

Edited

Recent sales

7/26/2015 cgc 9.6 blue $1,139.64 eBay (buy it now)

6/20/2015 cgc 9.4 blue $1,351 eBay auction

I really should have snagged a 9.8 about a year and change back for almost exactly $1k when I had the chance with the stupid high prices that this book has been getting. Jesus.

That 9.4 is already $200 more than the $1000 the last 9.4 sold for in September. Considering this was a convention book that was handed out at two of some of the largest cons (SDCC and Heroes) I have been surprised by the legs it has had.

-J.

I am too. But then again, I guess there's enough people out there trying to finish off a complete UXM set that it'll always have at least SOME legs. Same way the UXM 500 sketches do. I'm just shocked it's still climbing instead of just kinda sitting at a pretty high price.

Many completists don't consider convention books to be part of the "core run" of a title. That's why few convention books ever catch on. Even the UXM 500 sketch covers top out at $5-600.

I think the fact that this book looks rare on the census and is a JSC cover is what keeps it going. Although this 9.4 looks to be one of two new copies to have recently hit the census in the last week.

-J.

I really should have snagged a 9.8 about a year and change back for almost exactly $1k when I had the chance with the stupid high prices that this book has been getting. Jesus.

1k for a 9.8 seems like a deal now considering how much that vf sold for. Is that book still available for sale? If so, I'd buy it lol

I just checked the census #s there are only 7 9.8 copies and 11 total grades. Pretty low especially for a campbell / xmen cover

1k for a 9.8 seems like a deal now considering how much that vf sold for. Is that book still available for sale? If so, I'd buy it lol

I just checked the census #s there are only 7 9.8 copies and 11 total grades. Pretty low especially for a campbell / xmen cover

Sadly... no. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here fretting about passing it up, I would be out selling plasma or robbing a bank or something & setting up a pick-up time. lol!

There's actually 15 of the sketch cover convention version on the census, and 99 (also not very many) of the full colour 1:50 retailer incentive version which is actually very pretty. :cloud9:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCANNY-X-MEN-510-J-SCOTT-CAMPBELL-VARIANT-PSYLOCKE-COVER-VERY-HARD-TO-FIND-/131496932834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9dd3f5e2&nma=true&si=ESVWMJNvXgebvopo3p97VILnUCs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-J.

Sadly... no. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here fretting about passing it up, I would be out selling plasma or robbing a bank or something & setting up a pick-up time. lol!

:roflmao:

I'm curious to see what a 9.8 would fetch on the open market.

I have the book, and its not graded yet. I got it from SD in 2009 at a Question Panel that I had to answer questions for.

From what I have researched over the years, and its been 6 years now. Please take this as still researching the truth from Vendors and people I have talked to over time. From what I understand, about 500 were sent to SDCC in 2009. And of the 500: 350 were damaged in route to the convention. I have been told it was water, and smashed boxes. Only a 150 with out major damage made it to the convention, but many had some creases and spine cracks. Of that 150, only about 50 were above 9.0.

Again this is just DD I did on my behalf. So I could still be missing info on how many were out there.

I am not sure the worth of mine but its beautiful. At the time I did not realize it and I guess I got lucky. My pictures can not do it justice. I Need to get it CGC. But I just have been lazy.

To me this is the my personal Holy Grail, ( I only collect 1963 X-men ---> Uncanny X-men.

image_3.jpg

image.jpg

Good luck on finding the book guys, its a Gem if you can get it.

Edit. I need to take better pics. blah!

Edited by Wampler

That's a nice looking copy you have there. :applause:

I've never heard that rumour before about some of the copies that were sent to SDCC being damaged. I do know that there was another pallet of them shipped a month earlier to Heroes that same year, however, and they were given out there as well. (thumbs u

-J.

Wampler that is a beautiful copy. Get that baby graded and post again in this thread.

Thanks for sharing the story as well. I've heard about copies being damaged but did not know the extent. It took me a few years to track down my 9.8 copy and I don't think I will ever part with it. The partial sketch cover is my favorite Campbell cover with the wolverine deadpool #1 not far behind.

Edited by jreezy

Wampler that is a beautiful copy. Get that baby graded and post again in this thread.

Thanks for sharing the story as well. I've heard about copies being damaged but did not know the extent. It took me a few years to track down my 9.8 copy and I don't think I will ever part with it. The partial sketch cover is my favorite Campbell cover with the wolverine deadpool #1 not far behind.

Your welcome, And thank you everyone for the compliments.

If I were to get it CGC I would feel it would fetch me a 9.2. I feel this because you cannot see the right bottom corner, has a little ding. But, I know that CGC is ok with the Pressing of books. I bet if I get that ding pressed or removed. It would hit about 9.6. I think there is 1 little spine ding, but its very small. So she will not fetch 9.8 status, Its a great copy and I would hope you guys can find one someday as well. I will try to get it CGC soon.

PS. You guys ever get freaked out sending a book to CGC that's kind of your 1 and only?

Your welcome, And thank you everyone for the compliments.

If I were to get it CGC I would feel it would fetch me a 9.2. I feel this because you cannot see the right bottom corner, has a little ding. But, I know that CGC is ok with the Pressing of books. I bet if I get that ding pressed or removed. It would hit about 9.6. I think there is 1 little spine ding, but its very small. So she will not fetch 9.8 status, Its a great copy and I would hope you guys can find one someday as well. I will try to get it CGC soon.

PS. You guys ever get freaked out sending a book to CGC that's kind of your 1 and only?

As long as I'm the one packing it up (or joeypost, or beachbum - the only guys that can touch my, uh...'goods'), I have as much confidence as you can have. I've shipped probably over 100K worth of books and *knock on wood* never had a problem shipping literally across the country to CGC (thumbs u

Jerome

Totally missed this recent sale. Really think the seller left money on the table setting the buy it now so low. 9.6 sold for $1,100 on 7/27. Guess he wanted a quick sale ? (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Uncanny-X-Men-510-ultra-rare-SDCC-partial-sketch-variant-CGC-9-6-/221837051953?hash=item33a684c831

Did someone on the boards snag the copy? lol

Wow. I didn't even see that. It never even showed up on my followed searches.

They definitely wanted a quick sale on it though. Obviously got it as well. Someone got a pretty reasonable deal (considering it's a modern variant) on a hard to find book based on the few recent sales of it.

One day, I'll find one somewhere. And actually have the $$ to buy it.