• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recil Macon's - Where Are They And Why Are They Not Being Slabbed
1 1

75 posts in this topic

I was going through the Comic Pedigree website last week and noticed that the Recil Macon books apparently have the lowest percentage of their books slabbed. The site states that there are only 23 Recil Macon books that have been slabbed, although it's quite likely that this info is out-of-date, considering how far behind they are with respect to anything to do with their pedigree book.

Anyways, it got me to thinking a bit more about this mysterious pedigree in terms of the following:

1) Where are all the Recil Macon's since there are supposed to be a thousand of them in total, with another website stating that this collection could numbered in the thousands;

2) Are the bulk of them being tightly held in the private collections of a few large collectors since it should be relatively easy to identify a Recil Macon book if they ever do come to market;

3) Are they not being slabbed because there is a high potential they could come back as PLOD's since some of them were apparently cleaned and pressed as many of them were warped from improper storage; and

4) What percentage of the slabbed Recil Macon's are coming out with blue labels as opposed to PLOD's?

Just curious as to why these books are not showing up in the marketplace? ???

Edited by lou_fine

I didn't realize the collection was as big as has been speculated. I remember when Greg Buls first displayed them at a show there seemed to be around 500 books, mostly Timely and Quality. I then met Darren and he mentioned having things like the All Star run, Marvel Mystery 9 and others but the only books I personally saw were the Green Lantern 1 (which I bought and later traded to John Verzyl) and the Captain Marvel Adventures 1 which was absolutely the best structural copy of that I have ever seen but unfortunately Macon colored in the top portion of Cap's cape with ink. I can definitely understand the pedigree designation. There were enough books present and they were all generally of a uniformly high enough grade. My understanding is that Buls sold the bulk of books from the collection to Dave Anderson. What he subsequently did with them is unknown, and probably the key to the answers you are looking for.

These are both Macons...

ht5.jpg

mm22.jpg

I bought this raw from Bedrock, then slabbed it later, so it won't be showing up on any lists - obviously very pleased with the results:

df5dc45e-a680-4453-a95c-55f932222526_zpsad6d0379.jpg

I also have Marvel Mystery 25 Macon copy - raw, never been graded.

That HA/Pedigree census info is interesting, but not all that accurate.

3) Are they not being slabbed because there is a high potential they could come back as PLOD's since some of them were apparently cleaned and pressed as many of them were warped from improper storage.

Any time that books go through the hands of Dave Anderson, there is going to be a question of what's been done to the book? So this is a very valid concern.

After his amateur efforts were finally exposed, Anderson worked quietly through Susan C. to professionally 'improve' books - my guess is that's where any Macon work was done (and no disparagement meant towards Susan C., I think she's terrific).

Some of the Macons are indeed coming back PLOD's.

My understanding is that Buls sold the bulk of books from the collection to Dave Anderson. What he subsequently did with them is unknown, and probably the key to the answers you are looking for.

As we know all too well, those answers won't be forthcoming.

I bought this raw from Bedrock, then slabbed it later, so it won't be showing up on any lists - obviously very pleased with the results:

To quote a phrase from Rich...you guys sure get "purty" books. Just stunning stuff guys.......jb

we had the flash 1 recil copy years ago...it was slabbed

Was this another cleaned and pressed PLOD or did it come back as being an unrestored blue?

Any idea what condition the Recil All-American 16 was in?

Beautiful book, Steve. But I'm totally flummoxed. You actually had a book slabbed.

Wonderful copy! (worship)

we had the flash 1 recil copy years ago...it was slabbed

Was this another cleaned and pressed PLOD or did it come back as being an unrestored blue?

Any idea what condition the Recil All-American 16 was in?

it was initially a 3.5 when I owned it that has since been pressed to a 5.0

Beautiful book, Steve. But I'm totally flummoxed. You actually had a book slabbed.

Wonderful copy! (worship)

Hi Steve - yes, one of a few books I've ever had slabbed. I enjoyed the book (probably too much!) raw, so thought it was time to entomb it.

I really wanted to know if it would come back Blue or PLOD, so slabbing was the best way to find out. Once again, Bedrock took good care of me (thanks Rich!).

Kinda embarrased to post the only one I got after all those beauties before me. But...this one has a bit of a twist. Recil filled in the coupon on the back cover! Can't be a whole lot of them with his name and address on them. Even has his age which is a little older than when he bought your books. Anybody know the dates of the collection?

I bought this from Steve Ritter at SD a few years ago. He pointed out the coupon and said it was the only one he'd seen with a name and address. I didn't pay any premium for it. It was right at guide I believe at the time.

I like 'em raw. Great Baker story inside I'd never get to see entoumbed in plastic...

comjumbo109a_zpsfabyn0gf.jpg

comjumbo109b_zps08lzn7pp.jpg

Why slab this? :shy:

WhizComics167_0RecilMacon.jpg

Why not? We have all seen some really taped up, sun/dust shadowed rip rags that have been slabbed. This one has a ding in the corner and that's not too bad.

My question was just tongue in cheek. My Whiz run is raw so there's no need to slab it. I like flipping through them when I can.