• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Noob Thread READ HERE BEFORE STARTING THREAD
8 8

256 posts in this topic

Balent took them off the website due to people attempting to send in books with the form that were not properly witnessed.

The Sig Series internet forms, in almost all cases, never had Signature Series information, filled out by the customer, on the second page.

Meaning, the top page would have the Sig Info i.e. Creator's and Dates and the top page also has your Credit Card info which always goes down to the Accounting Dept and not with your books. The second page is what I see when entering Sig Info, which never had a date or a name and I would have to figure out "Who signed What" on multi signed books, which created hours upon hours of double work. To save on sanity and the fluidity of the program the forms where removed.

It is easier for a customer to call and say "Send me a small stack of Sig Forms" then have hundreds of books end up on my desk per week without Creator info or dates.

Thanks for understanding.

So after contacting the CGC signature series guy, he said as long as you are the artist it doesn't need to be directly witnessed. You can mail the book in or drop them off at a comic con AND if you're the artist you also get a 12 dollar discount, which is awesome.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've read through most of this thread, and i have a question that i didn't see on the boards.

I've read the artist can send the commissioned covers to CGC or a Dealer, So If i'm the artist and I do a sketch cover, Is it as simple as just bringing the finished covers to a comic-con and drop it off at the CGC booth and paying the fees associated with getting it graded?

Thanks!

If you drop it off to a Dealer (with a witness) chances are you will be paying full price. If you want an artist rate it has to be under the artist account. That can be available by contacting me directly or dropping off at the CGC booth.

So after contacting the CGC signature series guy, he said as long as you are the artist it doesn't need to be directly witnessed. You can mail the book in or drop them off at a comic con AND if you're the artist you also get a 12 dollar discount, which is awesome.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

If you are the artist and than there would not need to be a witness. A witness, witnesses the artist signature.

I have a question which I couldnt find the answer.

I will be at SDCC and looking to get some comics signed by Stan Lee. I understand I can possibly leave it with Anastasia Collectibles for signing (?) or I can queue up myself, get them signed then queue up for submission via Anastasia Collectibles.

I understand that different tiers are shipped back separately. My question is that I also have some books for normal submission. What I want to know is if I can combine the SS and normal submissions (same tiers) together. Also, any way of getting the 10% discount as well for submitting myself.

I think the other alternative is getting CGC to be the witness and then submitting the normal submissions through them (bit of a pain to run to CGC and back to wtiness).

(I emailed Anastasia but didnt get a reply yet and I emailed CGC but wasnt 100% clear on the response).

question I did some searching around before deciding to ask this but is there some sort of price guide to see what prices are on Signature series books. There are a few I see floating around on eBay and other areas just wanted to see if there is any kind of guide showing going rates before I jump on anything.... thank you for any answers.

I have a question which I couldnt find the answer.

I will be at SDCC and looking to get some comics signed by Stan Lee. I understand I can possibly leave it with Anastasia Collectibles for signing (?) or I can queue up myself, get them signed then queue up for submission via Anastasia Collectibles.

I understand that different tiers are shipped back separately. My question is that I also have some books for normal submission. What I want to know is if I can combine the SS and normal submissions (same tiers) together. Also, any way of getting the 10% discount as well for submitting myself.

I think the other alternative is getting CGC to be the witness and then submitting the normal submissions through them (bit of a pain to run to CGC and back to wtiness).

(I emailed Anastasia but didnt get a reply yet and I emailed CGC but wasnt 100% clear on the response).

SS and blue label submissions can't be combined.

The 10% discount doesn't apply to SS invoices - and it only applies to blue label invoices if you fill out the paperwork before you get to the show (so the CGC people don't do have to do at the booth).

question I did some searching around before deciding to ask this but is there some sort of price guide to see what prices are on Signature series books. There are a few I see floating around on eBay and other areas just wanted to see if there is any kind of guide showing going rates before I jump on anything.... thank you for any answers.

GPAnalysis

im so upset that i didnt know all this before I sent my first batch of books in a few weeks back, I sent 3 books in with signatures that I have COA and witnessed being signed in so i guess they will be green labels, not to upset cause I dont plan to sell them but would have been much nicer to have yellow SS labels. And thanks for your help!

Edited by CruzControl

A couple of quick questions:

How much does Neal Adams charge to do a remark/small head sketch on a book? I checked his web site but he doesn't list prices.

For those who've had experience with this, about how large of an area would you recommend for the above remark? Not just the window bag itself but the "open area" in the front cover artwork that would be conducive to a small sketch.

Thanks!

A couple of quick questions:

How much does Neal Adams charge to do a remark/small head sketch on a book? I checked his web site but he doesn't list prices.

For those who've had experience with this, about how large of an area would you recommend for the above remark? Not just the window bag itself but the "open area" in the front cover artwork that would be conducive to a small sketch.

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that he charged me $500 for a shoulders-up, not on a blank, but on bristol. I think the cheapest sketching started at $200. I wish I still had his price guide handy ...

Hey guys,

I'd like to send my signature series forms in to a facilitator to get some autographs done. Specifically, I want Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner on an Avengers book. I notice that on the Signature Series form there is a "Date Signed" box. Now, obviously I won't be able to predict when the facilitator can get them done, maybe on separate dates, maybe on one day-- so what should I put on the "Date Signed" box?

Also, when should I check the "Additional Signature Same Show" box? I wish there were footnotes on these forms ...

And finally (three questions) when should I check Photos and Sketches Submissions? Do I have to check that if I'm having, say, Dustin Nguyen draw a quick sketch on a blank?

Thanks in advance!

Alright, Ive read through the entire thread and a few others as well but still am a bit confused.. Im headed to my first con, NYCC, this October and would like to get roughly 8-9 books signed.. mainly Hughes, Campbell and possibly one or two others.

When I get to the con I go to the CGC booth first and present my books that Id like signed and someone then follows me to the signing? or is there already a witness at the artists tables?. I just want to be prepared when I get there and am not fumbling around last minute getting my books ready.

Second. I see mixed answers on bringing blue label books to get signed.. If CGC is re-grading the book, the graders are not allowed to see previous labels on grades correct? So Im better off cracking the book open before I get there myself no? (i have cracked slabs before so its not an issue). Is there any benefit of having CGC crack it open.. besides being better at it? Theres no retaining the grades correct?

Lastly, would I be better off getting my own cgc membership or should i just use a facilitators.. any cost difference or benefits one over the other?

Ive been to one signing before but it was held at a comic book store and we had a witness who sat next to the artist and then handed you a certificate in which you then brought to the register to fill out the paper work and checkout. So im just wondering if its a similar setup at the cons. Im envisioning there being a witness at each artists table who will hand me a certificate for each book signed in which i then carry over to the cgc booth.

Alright, Ive read through the entire thread and a few others as well but still am a bit confused.. Im headed to my first con, NYCC, this October and would like to get roughly 8-9 books signed.. mainly Hughes, Campbell and possibly one or two others.

When I get to the con I go to the CGC booth first and present my books that Id like signed and someone then follows me to the signing? or is there already a witness at the artists tables?. I just want to be prepared when I get there and am not fumbling around last minute getting my books ready.

You need to go by CGC first and have a witness follow you. Some creators Stan Lee, Kevin Eastman, etc, have dedicated authorized CGC witnesses that work for them but artists like Campbell and Hughes require you to get a CGC red shirt witness to follow you.

Second. I see mixed answers on bringing blue label books to get signed.. If CGC is re-grading the book, the graders are not allowed to see previous labels on grades correct? So Im better off cracking the book open before I get there myself no? (i have cracked slabs before so its not an issue). Is there any benefit of having CGC crack it open.. besides being better at it? Theres no retaining the grades correct?

The benefit to cracking your own book is in the preparation and window bagging of it. CGC is obligated to crack Yellow Sig Series books but not blue labels. Personally if you know how to yourself I would simply stick with it. The graders don't see the grades and honestly you could basically throw the blue tag in the trash once done cracking. The only thing CGC may do with the blue label is change the census by deleting the old number... Maybe.

Lastly, would I be better off getting my own cgc membership or should i just use a facilitators.. any cost difference or benefits one over the other?

Entirely up to you. An account is not necessary to have to submit at a convention.

Ive been to one signing before but it was held at a comic book store and we had a witness who sat next to the artist and then handed you a certificate in which you then brought to the register to fill out the paper work and checkout. So im just wondering if its a similar setup at the cons. Im envisioning there being a witness at each artists table who will hand me a certificate for each book signed in which i then carry over to the cgc booth.

No it's not, this one and not to be cruel or sound like a but should be common sense, at artist alley in NYCC you're looking at 100 plus artists 50 plus celebs and tons of other random individuals, no way in hell is CGC going to have a witness at every table. That's a comic store signing pure and simple and not something done anywhere else.

1) get someone from cgc to follow you , only IF you plan on getting them grades/yellow lable

2) if you are just re grading books. (Blue lable) Crack it open yourself, prior to the event. (If comic is re graded/ signed the graded old grades are thrown out the window.

3) benefits of having your own cgc membership is YOU can track your own subs through this site. Through. Facilitator , you'll (probably) get best discount on grading (20% off) but have to contact them for grading/completion/shipping updates

My 2c

Thanks guys, very helpful and much appreciated!

One last thing, would CGC crack open a CBCS case and how is it handled if its a yellow label CBCS case? Im assuming they recognize CBCS authorized sigs as legit and would carry it over to the CGC yellow label?

They are willing to crack them but no they do not use CBCS as a legitimate witnessing form. It would give CBCS legitimacy and ultimately that's not something they want to do to a competitor.